What's new

Center Channel Size? (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Sorry guys I'm a newbie. My two front towers have 8" woofers and I have a 12" sub. My Manual for my reciever says to set my center channel to Large. Can this be right? I have it on small now.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
What reciever do you have? Large/small has nothing to do with the actual size of the speakers. I would agree with you in setting it to small. How does it sound when set to large?

Sam_S

Agent
Listen to it at both, and pick whichever you think sounds better. Who cares what -they- say... you're the one who has to hear it!

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that the large setting on your receiver is if your center channel is the same as your mains/fronts. Small setting would be for a smaller center channel than your mains, I believe their talking about woofer size, not actual physical size, this was described in a Denon manual for a receiver I used to use, now at least on the Onkyos, They simply have you select a crossover point for your mains, 60hz to 150hz, depending on the size of their woofers and how low they can go, centers and surrounds are handled by subwoofer mode. I would guess that the "small" setting on your receiver would crossover the lows to your sub at 100hz or so as to send them to the sub where they could be reproduced fully.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ryan,

Since you say it sounds...
...that tells me it’s probably getting too much bass response. That tends to make voices sound muffled and indistinct. I’d do as the others have recommended and set it to small. That will roll out the lower bass that’s mucking things up.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks