What's new

Center channel problems--help! (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Paradigm CC-350 that is about 2.5 years old. The majority of the time it sounds great, but on certain DVDs at certain frequencies, it seems like there is a little static-y sound coming from the speaker...almost like the tweeter is vibrating. Nothing that your average joe would notice, but I hear it and it's a bit irritating.

I know this is relatively unspecific info, but it's all I have to go on (everything is wired properly, etc). I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, either with your Paradigm or other brand, and could shed light on the source. I kinda think it's a defective speaker.

(if I indeed end up having to get a new center channel, would the current one suffice as a center rear in a 6.1 setup?)

Thanks...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I run a Yamaha AC-300 center. Some on this forum dislike electronic mfr.'s speakers, but I'll attest to the quality of this speaker.

Anyway -

For years I had a Sony STR-DE915 as my rec. I thought it was pretty good, as I was the only kid on the block that had DD. Occasionally I'd hear the same thing you described above, but I never knew what it was. Now that I know better, I think it was my amp clipping. That thing was crap!

I've since moved to H/K, and I haven't heard any distortion since.

What system do you have? Is it possible that your electronics are not up to it?

If you have a $15k system, I apologize in advance.....:b

-CM

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Chances are it is not your speaker at all. This "crackle" sound has been discussed many times on the different forums. It appears to be a level problem when the transfer is done to the disc. It usually manifests itself in situations where someone is perhaps yelling in a certain scene on a DVD. There are numerous disks with the problem. Do a seach on this and other forums and you should find some info.

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
CM--no, my system hardware is not high end. I'm currently running a second generation Kenwood DD receiver (no DTS!!) that is 3-4 years old. This might be the problem, but I won't know until I upgrade (hopefully Denon or Yamaha...SOON).

Brian--thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if there was a possibility of it being a mastering error from the disc. It only happens on some discs and in certain places, and I can generally reproduce the "crackle" (much better word for it). And yes, it is generally in a situation like someone yelling, or an explosion, etc.

Another question...if it is in fact an authoring error from the disc, would better equipment mask it or make it more noticable. And is there any way to reduce it?

Thanks for the help.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
I am happy to hear of your problem. ;) I thought I was crazy because I have noticed this for some time now. I have a Kenwood VR 507. I notice this as well. It happens just like you all describe. I have DTS on my receiver and guess what? It is not there on DTS! I believe it to be an encoding problem. I think that 99% of "non-enthusiasts" would not even hear what we are talking about, but I recongnize it when it happens. One instance I can think of is during Pearl Harbor at the beginning when the bi-plane flies across the screen. The bi-plane sounds fine but it also sounds like there is a crackling fire somewhere distant from the listening position. (the crackling sound is very minimal) By listening position I mean where the filmakers intend to make you feel you are standing as the biplane goes overhead. Anyone else ever notice this?

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Jason...

Glad to hear someone else is having the same problem (well, not really GLAD, but like you said...). I was concerned I was going to have to buy a new center channel.

I can't remember the exact model number for my Kenwood receiver, but it's about 3 years old and pretty basic (bottom-of-the-line digital receiver, paid about $300 and like i said, DD but no DTS). It's a VR-something (506 maybe?), so it sounds like we are running similar equipment. What kind of speakers do you use?

I hope that upgrading solves the problem--both in equipment quality and the addition of DTS decoding.

My main discs that I have problems with are "Fifth Element" (many many places throughout) and the first "Apocalypse Now" (not "Redux"). It has popped up from time to time in other discs but I can't remember which off the top of my head (haven't snagged "Pearl Harbor" yet).

Anybody else have any pointers?

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
I have Pioneer Center,Surrounds and Fronts. My sub is a Paradigm PDR 10. I know my center isn't the best. It has two 5 1/4" drivers and is ported in the back. However, knowing that this noise is NEVER present on anything other than DD DVD leads me to believe that it is not the fault of the speaker. It could be the receiver or the DVD. I am not sure. I tend to fault the DD on the DVD, since DTS works fine.

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the problem is your receiver or speaker. I have noticed alot of this sound with "The 5th Element" on many different systems, including mine (Onkyo 797 and JBL center). Tom Hanks' voice in "Toy Story" as well as Jeff Goldblum's in "Jurassic Park" also have it. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a problem with some dvd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks