What's new

Centennial Collection : El Dorado & The Man who shot Liberty Valance (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
DVD Times - El Dorado & The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Centennial Collection) in May

This is awesome news.

Another JF picture getting the deluxe treatment

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Interesting news. I'll definitely check out El Dorado - I reviewed the original disc, so I always review re-issues. Never saw Valance - this seems like a good reason to do so!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've promised myself no double-dips until Paramount ante-up with the BDs on their Centennial Collection releases, but these will be almost impossible to resist.

Hawks and Ford; there's a couple of aces for ya...

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Woah, actual bonus features for these two? Automatic double-dip for me.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Valance is actually pretty good especially when you consider that B&W pictures were not really made at that time.

Wayne & Ford at their peak

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, Bogdanovich created a documentary film about John Ford that was broadcast on Turner Classic Movies a year or so ago (maybe a little longer).

Seems like this new release of 'Liberty Valance' would be a good opportunity to include the documentary as a supplementary feature.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

There is a documentary called The Size of Legends, The Soul of Myth.

Is this what you are referring to ?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

No, the documentary is called 'Directed by John Ford', apparently a 2006 update of a doc Bogdanovich originally created in 1971.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to hold out because there is little doubt these two titles will make it to Blu-ray in the future.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Dave, someone over at the Criterion forum posted a quote from Bogdanovich recently about the doco: "... I re-did the film in 2006 and that it was shown on TCM that year... And will be available on DVD in May through Warner Home video... I feel that the new version is infinitely better than the original and I hope you get a chance to see it!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I read a direct quote from Bogdanovich that a dvd is coming this year. Perhaps we can nut that down when we talk with Warner is the not so distant future.

Crawdaddy

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

What?! Valance was released in 1962. There were still plenty of films being made in B&W at that time and for another few years afterwards. In 1962 alone, other classic B&W films included 'The Manchurian Candidate', 'Lolita', 'Days Of Wine And Roses', 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'The Miracle Worker'.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nah, are any of those B&W films really good and do they stand the test of time like LOA.;)

Crawdaddy

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

John,

Thanks for the update. Ultimately, I'll be happy to have this doc on DVD, whether it appears as a supplement on a Paramount release or a Warner Brothers release, as you mentioned.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I'm just wondering if anybody's picked up The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yet. Other than extras, is there a significant upgrade PQ-wise over the 2001 disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks