What's new

Cellular Antenna Question (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Hi, I have a Nokia 3595 GSM phone that uses SunCom (AT&T). I just moved into a new place and I can only get reception in certain parts of the house. This is really annoying me. I used to have an external antenna for an old Panasonic phone I had, but I've searched on Google and can't find a similar antenna for this phone. So I had another idea . . . are there antennas available which act as repeaters. For instace, could I buy an antenna that would be in my attic or on my roof which would then act as a repeater and/or amplifier so I could get signal throughout the house?

Also, what frequency band does the AT&T (now Cingular) GSM network use?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
a cheap bi-directional amplifier will run about $800 for just the amp, then tack on antennas cables and labor you're at at least $1500.

you may be able to get by without an amp and just run passive by just running a cable between the two antennas without the amp, but you wouldn't know until you tried.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the links. I have SunCom which is (was?) AT&T wireless. They switched over to GSM (1900MHz) about a year ago. Then Cingular bought AT&T wireless, so I'm still using GSM, but I don't know what the future will hold.

Anyway, I thought maybe there'd be a way to do this fairly inexpensively, but the cheapest amplifier I've found was $200+ and then I'd have to buy two antennas and cables for it all on top of that.

So now I'll tack on another question. My phone (Nokia 3595) does not have a place to attach an external antenna. I found this product which claims to work for hooking up an external antenna and I'd like to get some thoughts on whether or not it would actually work. Here's the link:
http://www.cellantenna.com/Adapters/...e_adapters.htm

Scroll to the bottom of it to the Universal Patch Mount. I seems like it could work, but I'm not sure how well, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
What about the type that people mount to the exterior of their car windows? There are no wires and I have heard it acts as a repeater. Maybe get one and stick it to a window? I recently switched to GSM from att. I hate it over the tdma but the cost of having 4 phones was much cheaper. I just hope they get better coverage soon.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen any that act as repeaters. All the ones I've seen have a wire running into the car somewhere. If you could point me to one that is a repeater that would be perfect for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks