What's new

Ceiling mounting, Panasonic L500, & an angry girlfriend (1 Viewer)

GrahamTAK

Grip
Hi fellas

I'm considering buying the panasonic PT-AE500U / PT-L500 and mounting it to the ceiling.

I'm looking at a 5 ft high screen starting 3 1/2 ft from the ground to a total height of 8 1/2 ft.

Since the top of the PJ'ed image will be approx 4 inches *above* the center of the lense, I would therefore have to mount this puppy ROUGHLY 8'2" from the ground.

Problem: I have 10 1/2 ft ceilings, and this would mean a 2 ft drop from the ceiling. This will no doubt anger the G.F. - she does not want a 2 ft antenna hanging from the ceiling.

It looks like I can:
1 ) put the screen higher up - but is this now TOO high for a typical seated (4' eye level) person?
2 ) use a shorter mount and tilt it down/ use digital keystone - It sounds like I should avoid this...
3) somehow disguise the 2 ft eyesore?

I'm looking for advice / tips on how to do each of these methods.

Thanks!

Graham

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
With the bottom of your screen 3.5 feet off the floor you should consider using the PJ in desktop mode (rightside-up instead of upside-down), sitting on a rack to achieve the needed height off the floor. Whatever you decide, it sounds like the GF is not a keeper.:D

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I have a very similar situation. My ceiling is 10' and I needed to drop nearly 32". We had a series of intense negotiations to get the go-ahead for this.

The solution was the monkey man mount and some plumbing parts. The plumbing parts were two floor flanges and a 30" length of 1.5" pipe. To reduce the industrial look, I got some of the faux finish paint at home depot (there are a number of kits) and painted the plumbing parts with antique rust. This made it match the ceiling fan. The 1.5" pipe let me run and s-video, component, and dvi cable down through it. The cables are only visible from the back - and you have to be looking for them.

Good luck with the WAF! (Sounds more like a wife than a girlfriend. Girlfriends are still 'marketing' and are generally more flexible.) :D

David

chris_everett

Second Unit
Ummm... it's 4" above lens center if the PJ is table mounted. (Right side up). With the Projector up side down, it will be top of screen 4" below lens center. You still have to have a pipe, but it only needs to be 1'4" long. (Center of lens at 8'10") Then, as David said, paint the pipe to match the room, an you may be able to put the cables in the pipe, which should be a pretty clean install.

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator
It always helps to give her a choice, for example:

Ceiling mounting, Panasonic L500, & an angry girlfriend

or

Ceiling mounting, Girlfriend & an angry Panasonic L500

Either way she'll be angry, but she'll be much more comfortable sitting on the couch.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
From a female point of view, is this being installed at your place or your girlfriend's?
If it's being installed at your place, you can do whatever you want.
I'm assuming you girlfriend must live with you because I don't see how she can make this decision for you.

GrahamTAK

Grip
I'm installing it at *our* (future) place - so she pretty much is my WAF. ;)

As far as bartering vs. a CRT, I'm getting the HT as "my thing" to offset "her thing" - granite countertops... Believe me, hers will cost more. And I still need to get a ring!

Chris - on the 500's manual it shows it the other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks