What's new

CEDIA 2013 - New JVC Professional Projectors offer increased black levels (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Yesterday JVC announced a revamped line of their home theater projectors. As what happens every year with JVC at CEDIA, there is a slew of improvements that makes you want to dip into your savings account to get the latest model.

The key areas of performance enhancements come from a new imaging device, upgraded version of the company’s e-shift technology, 4K source compatibility and a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture.

JVC has always been known for their great contrast ration and they are improving on that with a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture that can dial in even deeper blacks.

In projectors equipped with 4K e-shift3, the latest iteration of the company’s e-shift technology, feature a 4K signal input (60P) so that now both 4K and 2K sources can be displayed as 3840 x 2160 images.

The new JVC projectors use three sixth generation JVC D-ILA imaging devices. This new device features a pixel gap that’s 40 percent narrower than the previous chip for a smoother picture, a 10 percent improvement in light efficiency for a light output of 1,300 lumens, and improved native contrast, which is also enhanced by a new, third generation wire grid optical engine. As a result, native contrast ratios for the new projectors are:

DLA-X900R/RS67/RS6710 150,000:1
DLA-X700R/RS57 120,000:1
DLA-X500R/RS49/RS4910 60,000:1

To further boost contrast, JVC has developed a user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture. When engaged, JVC’s Intelligent Lens Aperture produces deeper black levels while maintaining white levels superior to what’s delivered by competing projectors using a dynamic iris – performance attributable to JVC projectors’ inherent high native contrast capabilities. As a result, the new JVC projectors achieve the industry’s highest dynamic contrast ratios:

DLA-X900R/RS67/RS6710 1,500,000:1
DLA-X700R/RS57 1,200,000:1
DLA-X500R/RS49/RS4910 600,000:1

The new JVC D-ILA home theater projectors will be available November at the following prices:

DLA-RS6710 $12,499
DLA-X900R/DLA-RS67 $11,999
DLA-X700R/DLA-RS57 $7,999
DLA-RS4910 $5,199
DLA-X500R/DLA-RS49 $4,999

To get more details on all the important features watch the video.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Kevin, I've seen some comments around the web that these aren't true 4k projectors but you seem to indicate they do have rue 4k pixel resolution, am I misinterpreting something or is there something to the comments?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sam,
The actual picture is true 4K pixel wise, however they achieve this by interpolating two 1080p frames. From what we heard, the projector isn't capable of actually taking a native 4K input, despite being able to project it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
From the "briefest of study" I came across on the various sites explaining this...

You can liken JVC's 4K e-shift to Hitachi/Fujitsu's ALIS plasma panels.

As in, technically yes it does 4K, but it cheats getting there. (ALIS displays were always marketed as 1080. Never 1080I or 1080P...cause they were neither one)

I had to relearn ALIS itself when I bought the region-free BD player and saw first hand the issues with ALIS when the source has issues.

And I know ALIS and 4K e-shift is an apples to steak comparison...but the 4K e-shift does have a place in the market. Just like ALIS did a decade ago.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Great interview Kevin :)

"Clear Black" is very intriguing. Sounds like JVC has made some serious changes this generation and I await the reviews with bated breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks