What's new

CD Storage Ideas? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have any unique ideas for storing 1000+ cd's? I've read the existing threads and didn't really find anything that fits what I am looking for. I'd like to say there is an emphasis on "cheap".

I saw some cases on sale that hold up to 450 CD's in sleeves but I don't know what I would do with the cd booklets and song listings with one of these. Also, they probably really only fit half that where it would be easy to get them in and out.

I was thinking of plastic containers like the type you would put sweaters in for under the bed but the problem with these is that they aren't usually flat on the bottom and the dimensions usually make for the cd's to move around a lot.

My favorite CD holders have always been my converse sneaker boxes but I have too many cd's and not enough boxes. I'm just using an old bookshelf but there really isn't any order to it. The plan is to move everything to a better case and log each one into my Music Tracker so I can see exactly what I have.

Any ideas would be great!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
A few months ago, I picked up some stackable Sterilite containers at Target. Although I'm sure there are other dimensions available, they were a pretty much perfect height, and each one holds two columns of approximately 32 CDs each (accounting for having a few spare centimeters so they're easy to remove). They've been working really well for me, I really recommend them and wish I'd gone to this method earlier; they work much better than shelves. I need to pick up some more though, I only have six containers' worth so my collection is spread across those, two half-empty bookcases, my computer desk...

I'm not a fan of the binders at all, I like having everything in the original cases.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I replace all my hard plastic jewel cases with these:

www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp

This way, about 4 or 5 discs in the space of 1. They're the exact same size as jewel cases, so all the same shelves or boxes or drawers for CDs work, and most importantly, these save ALL the art (front AND back).

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by AnthonyC

A few months ago, I picked up some stackable Sterilite containers at Target.

I'm not a fan of the binders at all, I like having everything in the original cases.
I will second the Sterilite container idea. Sterilite makes a couple of plastic containers specifically for storing CDs in their "Show Off" series. I got the bigger version for $3.00/each at Walmart.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I happened to be in a Wal-Mart tonight and saw an entire shelf of the Sterilite ShowOff series...including the CD containers (they had DVD containers, too!).

They seemed mighty small compared to my CD collection which is currently sitting on a wide array of shelving units in my basement office area. As much as I like the idea of re-organizing the CDs into nice, neat containers...I'm going to say they don't seem practical for my needs right now...although I continue to be intrigued. The price was also right, too. $2 to $4 dollars per case.

Maybe I'll buy a few of the DVD containers for some of my "overflow."

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Rip to a hard drive and put the discs and their cases in a cardboard box (or 4). Assuming you already have a large enough hard drive, it's by far the cheapest storage option.

I can't imagine trying to store that many discs. The 200 or so that I have used to take up too much shelf space.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
^

What he/she said. I have just about 1000 cd's and was running out of room to store them. What I did was purchased some dj cases and used the numbering in them. Granted it only holds thecd and the line notes, but I also have a database of the music so I can skim throught that if I need to get to the orignial cd.

I keep the hard plastic cases in my garage out of the way and the two cases in my closet. I have also done the saem with my DVD's. The only things I have not taken out of there cases are teh sepcial editions which I keep on special shelves.

I have all my music at my finger tips. The hardest part for me was deciding what I wanted to rip my cd's at. I ripped a good majority of them in mp3 format. I have now since started to ripp in aac format and also a lossless format. So I do two rips of the disc when I get a new one.

Seems kind of tedious but I have a workflow down that works good for me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Here's some pics I took of the sleeves I use, that I mentioned earlier ("I replace all my hard plastic jewel cases with these: www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp This way, about 4 or 5 discs in the space of 1. They're the exact same size as jewel cases, so all the same shelves or boxes or drawers for CDs work, and most importantly, these save ALL the art (front AND back)."

Looks like it's more of a 3:1 reduction -- see a standard jewel case on top, and three discs (with all the art preserved) below. Still a huge reduction in weight and size.

Notice that because it also fits the back cover art, the spine titles are still present -- something many sleeves don't bother to save!
cdsleeves.jpg

One criticism of these sleeves is that they’re not really made to be opened and resealed over and over. They can survive being sealed and unsealed a few times, but the tape gives out eventually. These sleeves are best for simply saving the materials, after you’ve imported the CD to your computer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Will the Hand Model" strikes again!

That's a pretty good space savings, Will. I really like the fact that the sleeves fit the back cover art. It's weird they're not made to be re-opened. That seems odd. I wonder what they expect them to be used for (single purpose)?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I *knew* you'd say that (about the hand model pic)! ! !

Well the sleeves are MADE to be opened and reopened, but in my experience the strip of tape detatches from the sleeve if you're not careful. Which I suppose is better than tape that is so acidic that it sticks very well but would burn into the polypropylene sleeves.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Get the cd holders cases that hold 450 cds and put your cd info in the front pocket and the actual cd in the back pocket. You may have to get 4 or 5 tablets but you may be able to store them on your book shelf. They certainly would take up less space than shoe boxes..

maxshelor

Auditioning
Real Name
maxshelor
CD/DVD's are a great way of storing all the various forms of data that is coming at us now from all directions. We have music CD's, Movies, games, MP3 files, all sorts of computer files and data. Trouble is all this data can be difficult to find when you need it.

The good thing is CD storage comes in many forms, sizes and styles these days. There are CD storage units in the form of cabinets, racks, towers, cases etc and all can be found in a huge range of materials like wood, metal, plastic, glass.

well, it's very important that the sleeves keep the entire contents of a jewel case including the booklet and tray cards. This is a requirement for me. As for the jewel cases, well, I have a garage that they just might be able to fit in (somewhere)

VLC Player Download

leegrace

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee Grace
Originally Posted by Kazz

Get the cd holders cases that hold 450 cds and put your cd info in the front pocket and the actual cd in the back pocket. You may have to get 4 or 5 tablets but you may be able to store them on your book shelf. They certainly would take up less space than shoe boxes..

I am also using these cases and trust me , it is very good source to store CD'S..

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
A multi shelf bookcase... or five! I have four in the rear corners of my living room with DVD's, CD's, cassettes, VHS, games, and books on them. Heck if I were rich I would have a small room such as a bedroom dedicated as a library. Walls lined with bookcases full of CD's, tapes, records, and movies (and a few books). And one of those ladders that zip down the wall too! I am old school, I am not into the whole digital conversion thing. I like my music on CD's I don't even own and MP3 player, although my teen daughter does. She has ripped most of my CD collection to the computer, then to her Sony Walkman MP3 player, but I go the opposite way! I take her digital copies on Itunes and burn CD's from them. :rolleyes: Sad thing is, my Ford Fusion has the Sync system where I can plug in an Mp3, Ipod, or USB stick, but I never use it.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I gave up dealing with the storage issue and ripped all my CDs to FLAC. Then I burned those to DVD (and probably eventually to BD). Now I have one shelf of DVDs instead of 1000+ CDs to deal with. The CDs get boxed up and put in the closet or the loft/basement/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks