What's new

Cd/SACD player 1200 max any ideas (1 Viewer)

Just thought i would take in a few ideas on a multi disc player. Budget is around 1200.00 US, 5 disc is fine I am in no need of 100 disc or so.

one unit i am cosidering is Sony SCD C555ES 5 Disc SACD CD Player but because it is a few years old i am wondering what would compete with it etc.

Also, has any heard that magazines are more likely to scratch discs then carousels are?? True?

thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the 555 is still one of the best SACD players out there for the price, and the used prices are pretty good.

The Denon universal players should all compete favorably with it as well, most notably the 2900 at that price point.

I have a 222ES and have been very happy with it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you have no need for video, the Marantz SA8260 is worth a look (I think it retails around 1000$US). I'm trying to see if I can score one at discount in Hong Kong, via my wife who's on a business trip there. Wish I could pony up the funds to get it here at home (where it retails near 2500$CDN
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
, at last check--p.s., if anyone knows a Canadian source for this player for less than that, please let me know).

P.S. it's a single disc player.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The C555ES player in quite good. I'm confident it outperforms the 2900 on SACD & CD myself. Good luck finding one at this point. I demo'ed the 8260 for stereo last year and I was impressed. The 2900 is an all-round good, jack-of-all-trades machine too. You seem to have several good choices in your price range. Maybe you should be patient and wait on the several new uni's coming out and Sony's alleged new stand-alone players? Might as well look-see, eh?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 222ES also outperforms the 2900 for SACD, IMO. Not sure about CD, but for what it is, the 2900 is a good player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks