What's new

CD-R/RW brands (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I'd like to buy a pack of blank CD-R/RW discs to use with my new burner. Are there any particular brands for this type of blank media that I need to watch out for and stay away from? any brands that you guys recommend to buy?

Also what about blank DVD-R/RW's, any brands to stay away from there? any brands that you recommend? thanks.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
All blank DVDs are manufactured by the same six or seven companies anyway. They're all just about the same anymore. When CD-R/W really started to take off, then there were quality issues. But now that the format has been around long enough, a huge number (if not all) of the quality control issues have been resolved.

Additionally, you can get even brand-name CD-Rs like Sony, 3M, Verbatim, Maxell, and so forth at such low prices that there is no real reason to take your chances with generic CD-Rs.

However, I will admit that I've bought generic CD-Rs from a company in Florida and I never had a problem with any of them that were not the fault of the writer that I was using.

DVD-R/W is another matter as there have been compatibility issues with certain brands; but of course the brands that have better compatibility, like Mitsui, are more expensive by up to 3x the cost of other brands like Ritek. There are numerous sources on the web regarding the testing of various DVD-R/W brands.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I have had some problems with generic CD-Rs and settled on Imations. Good CD-Rs at very cheap prices.

Robert Ross

Agent
Imation is actually the brand I've had the most trouble with. This was quite a few years back, so they may be better now. Any music cds I would make would end up skipping real bad or just not play at all. I personally go with either Memorex or Verbatum.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Really? Imation has always been very reliable for me. I generally have very good luck with Sony, TDK, Verbatim, and a few others.

What it really comes down to is that the chances of getting bum CD-Rs anymore is close to nil, particularly if you stick with brand names. The cost between brand names and generic is no negligible any more that the only time that anyone needs generic is when they need absolutely no markings on the top of the disc at all, since all brand names have to stick their logo somewhere on the top. But even then, the generics are manufactured by the same companies that manufacture the discs for many of the brand names. (Very few brand names actually make their own.)

The only thing that I can recommend is that if you start to run into problems reduce the writing speed when you burn a disc!! Even though I have a 16x writer and I use discs that are 16x certified, I actually do run into problems every now and then if I burn at 16x. But I have not made one coaster since dropping to 8 or 12x. The time difference between them is a matter of only a few minutes, so bitching about "saving three minutes by writing at 16x" would be childish.

Again, you'll be more likely to run into compatibility problems when you start working with DVD-R and DVD-RW. (On that note, I will stress that you stay as far away from eProformance DVD-Rs, which I believe are manufactured by ProDisc. I have yet to make a good DVD with any eProformance disc.)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Imation, so far so good, I've probably done about 30 CD-Rs on two different burners (one IDE, one USB 2), no problem so far. I have about 250 of them, price was right, free after rebate:D .

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I don't really have a brand preference, but when you're first starting out, buy small quantities of a few brands. Some cd players (car players especially) can sometime have troubles with certain brands of disks, so try a few to make sure they work for you.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I like Verbatim, Memorex, Imation, and Sony. Name-brand blank discs are on sale almost every week at Best Buy. Stay away from the generic stuff if you can get name-brand stuff for the same price.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I use Fuji CD-Rs exclusively. They're made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, which is one of the two best manufacturers (along with Mitsui). Best Buy has them on sale about once a month and I never spend more than $7.99 for a spindle of 50.

I have a little software app called CD-R Identifier that identifies the maker of blank CD-Rs and virtually everything labeled as being made in Taiwan is made by either Ritek or CMC Magnetics, neither of which is great.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just go buy the cheapest spool at Sam's club. I haven't had any problems.

However, something I've just noticed last night. Apparently CD-R's that aren't marked "DIGITAL AUDIO" don't support CD text? I just burned a CD with Nero 5 last night and took care to include all the artist and title info.. and put it in my player today and I don't see any of this info. Is this a function of Nero or the CD-R's?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't know Dave. I've never used CD Text.

Avoid Memorex CD-RWs. They are truly the worst.

I've burned hundreds of CD-Rs had few problems. I recently had an Imation disc die on me. I like the type that have a frosted logo top, the ultracheap ones with nothing on the top tend to flake away the reflective layer rendering the disc useless.

My favorites are the Verbatim record print ones, and Fujis.

As for DVD, I've used Optodisc DVD-RAMS, Sony and Maxell DVD-RWs, K-Hypermedia and DVDPro DVD-Rs. The only coasters I've burned were with the DVD-R media set to record at 2x when it really didn't support that speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks