CD Player recomendation

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Agent WD-40, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Agent WD-40

Agent WD-40 Extra

I want to get a CD player. I'm mostly concerned with regular 2 channel CD's. I would like it to play DVD's but I want it to still be a good CD player. Getting something that does SACD or HDCD would be nice but not necessary. I would like to keep it under $300 as well.

I had my eye on the Marantz CD5001 and the Oppo DV-981HD. How would these compare as just CD players? I do like the fact the Oppo would do DVD as well as some SACD, HDCD, etc. Any other units to consider?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Oppo 970 is actually more geared toward music than the 981, according to Oppo. Plays everything I throw at it splendidly, and is a great upconverting video player to boot.

3. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

The Marantz CD5001 would be my first choice within your budget and will outperform the Oppo. Another option would be to purchase a used Rega Planet 2000 on Audiogon.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I have an Oppo 971, and I never play CDs in it-- my sony scd 2000es is more convenient and has better controls. Plus, the oppo rattles a bit.

Now, it could be that I'm missing out.

5. Agent WD-40

Agent WD-40 Extra

How much better do you think the Marantz would be compared to the Oppo?

6. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

The differences are subtle, but as a dedicated CDP the Marantz will win hands down. That being said, the Oppo is an exceptional budget Universal Player.

I currently own an Oppo 981 and a Naim CD5i, which replaced my Marantz CD5001.