CD Head Unit Shortlist Help

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Brian Mansure, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

My 10 year-old Sony CD head unit is dying so I'm in need of an inexpensive but decent CD car receiver to replace it.

What I'm looking for:
    Must play CD-R audio CDs (CD-RW playback would also be nice)
    Black face-plate (removable would even be better)
    Rotary volume knob (highly desirable)
    15W X 4 RMS or better
    At least one set of amp preouts
    MP3 playback would be an added bonus

As with most purchases, I have a limited budget of around $100-$150 including tax/shipping.

My current shortlist consists of:

Clarion DB335 ($119.00 + shipping online) or ($139.95 local)

Alpine CDM-9801 ($159.95 @ CC) or ($128.00 + shipping online)

Alpine CDM-7874 ($159.00 local)

Alpine CDE- 7872/70 ($139.95 / $129.95 local)

Pioneer DEH-1500 ($119.00 + shipping online) or ($129.00 local)

So if you know where I can get my grubby little paws on a head unit along these lines please let me know.
    I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

Do those units play MP3? Just curious since it was on your list but I'm pretty sure the Pioneer 1500 does not.
    Anyway, I own a Pioneer DEH-3500 and am very happy with it. It has everything I need, (including a pop-up rotary volume control which was one of MY musts as well). It has everything on your list, except for MP3 playback, BUT, the Pioneer DEH-5500 is exactly the same as the 3500, except it supports MP3 and WMA playback. As you can tell I'm a little biased towards this deck, but I figured I'd give you my opinion anyway.
    Andrew

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks Andrew.

Actually none of the above play MP3s to my knowledge.
    I added it to my list as an "extra" that would be great.
    I figured spending only $150 I'd be hard pressed to find a head unit that also has MP3 playback but I thought I'd throw it in and see what others suggested.

Thanks again for your reply.

Brian

4. Sean Me

Sean Me Extra

Clarion DB336MP
    http://www.clarion.com/sourceunit/srcunit08.htm

The headunit that I found that meets every one of your criterion is the Clarion DB336MP on ebay from ikesound.com for $115+$18 s/h. I called them and they said that you could order it directly through them instead of using the "buy it now" feature on ebay, for the same price. If I were you, I would email ikesound.com asking if they have that particular product for sale (it doesn't show on their website but I know that they have it on ebay under scala1). Then, take their reply which will say that they have it for $X and send pricematch requests to www.sounddomain.com and www.thezeb.com (details on their websites). This way, you will either get a better price, or at the very least you will have better warranty service should a problem arise.

Other potential options, with prices taken from ikesounds website are:

Pioneer DEH-P4500MP $148.50
    Pioneer DEH-P450MP $149.40

Blaupunkt MP3000 $130.50 Rotary knob
    Blaupunkt San Jose $139.50 Rotary knob

JVC KD-S890 $141.30 Rotary knob
    JVC KD-SX990 $146.70