CD Format To Be Abandoned In 2012 By Major Labels

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sam Favate, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    In case anyone's interested, I recorded a show for a Podcast I'm involved with that talks about this very subject.
    Is The CD Dead?

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I saw something new in a Best Buy the other day: a number of $20 CD collections from Warner/Rhino. These collections include five albums on five CDs. The CDs are in paper sleeves, and the overall box is just a bit bigger than the size of a regular plastic case.
    I picked up the ones for Ray Charles and Little Feat. Looking on Amazon, I see a whole lot more of these sets. I get the impression that the UK has had these for a little while, and they are now coming to the U.S.
    I'd think this would make it more attractive for retail stores to keep selling CDs. The store gets to carry a lot more CDs in the same space while the average sale (in dollars) goes up a bit. Because the individual albums are 2x to 4x cheaper than they would be separately, the boxes should appeal to buyers on a cost-per-album as well as a selection-of-albums basis. (For $4, you don't find many albums on the iTunes Store, or even on the Amazon MP3 store where there are sometimes $5 sales.)

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    One reason for my purchasing music and films on physical media now is that this may be my last chance to own a copy.

4. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    An iPod without a harddrive...I'm not sure I see the point--couldn't a phone do that? I love my iPod and may go buy another one out of fear of them being discontinued. Having said that, I have everything on my iPod backed up on disc, an external drive and an off-site backup. But I have it on disc. Can't imagine not having the high quality at my disposal if I want it.

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Now that we are rapidly running out of 2012, can we finally put this idiotic rumor to rest?

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just wait for 12/21/12... :D

7. Sumnernor

Sumnernor Supporting Actor

Sumner Northcutt
    May I mention in the store here in Munich (Beck), I mention that "rumour" and they say that IS NOT TRUE! This is for classical-

8. chadergeist

chadergeist Auditioning

I will not buy music unless it is on a physical disc called a CD. I hate ipods and mp3 players. I will never go for this digital downloading shit. I'm old school. No cd...no music. If Duran Duran came out with a new album and it is only available in a mp3 purchase, then good luck. I can't get it. If it isn't on a cd (not a cdr) then I don't want it. New music will be dead to me and I couldn't give a shit less. I only purchase today's music on cd and record them on a blank minidisc. Minidiscs are also my passion too. It is because of these dam Ipody things that the format is dead. Thanks a lot APPLE...you assholes!

9. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

chadergeist, I disagree with your observation that Apple has killed the CD. CD is still kicking. Apple, iPods etc. *have* saved the legitimate music industry with billions of songs now sold. In fact, I often buy the lossless file of a single or two before I jump and buy the entire CD from an artist. Just like you, I prefer a physical disc. So far this year I've purchased six CDs. The most recent purchase, A State of Trance 2013, will not be released until Tuesday the 19th. The CD format isn't going to be dead as long as you and I and others like us continue to buy the product. I do admire your passion for physical media.

10. shaijordan

shaijordan Auditioning

Go to acousticsounds.com ALL: Jazz, Blues, and Classical are nearly 100% of the time released on hybrid SACD, and 180 gram virgin vinyl...usually 45 RPM...some one sided. And most of the hybrids have a multichannel option. Sometimes a HiRez DL is included...rare though. Most people, if its necessary, put the music on the computer-it is not difficult-at the same or better bitrate than it originally had...and then it can be compressed if necessary for a portable device...so, the CD will only die in POP; Jazz, Classical, and most Blues enthusiasts get the best of everything. Rock tried...and still does. Let us pray that downloads aren't the only way to get music.

11. shaijordan

shaijordan Auditioning

12. shaijordan

shaijordan Auditioning

But we should be getting all our music on SACD or Blu ray audio-multichannel mixes all around!!

13. chadergeist

chadergeist Auditioning

Maybe I was scared that it would kill the cd, because Apple and the Ipods did kill one format that I have passion for and use today and that is the minidisc format. Maybe I got them mixed up in the comment...or the cd could have been in jeopardy because of the mp3 purchases.

14. chadergeist

chadergeist Auditioning

I wouldn't call it living in the past. I believe there are a few formats that should be IT and not come up with useless gadgets that sound like crap and do nothing for me like the Ipads and Mp3 players. I stick with minidiscs, cds, vynal records, blurays. That is all I need...those 4 formats.