What's new

CD-DA Burning Mode (1 Viewer)

Jack_CA

Auditioning
Hope someone can help me. Although my Toshiba SD-KT50SU Home theater system claims to be able to play DVD-R and DVD-RW, it will not play DVD-Rs I have burned on my Mac G-4 with a Pioneer burner. I have tried it with i-DVD and Toast Titanium, to no avail. The fine print in the Toshiba manual talks about a CD-DA data mode that I have been unable to find any info about. Thanks for your inputs.
John Callahan

Cary_H

Second Unit
To my knowledge CDDA is the native language of CDs, thus I would think CDDA data implies it will support discs with MP3s on them.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Jack,
I can't answer your exact question, but I can describe CD-DA alittle better if that helps.

CD-DA = Compact Disc Digital Audio, is the format that a normal audio CD is in. Data is encoded as 44100Hz 16bit stereo PCM data, with 2352 data bytes per frame, and 75 frames per second. If you add up 44100*2(16bits=2bytes)*2(stereo) and 2352*75 you will notice they are the same number, 176400 bytes per second of audio. There is no error correction as it was considered not important enough for something like PCM audio.
You will sometimes see references in computer programs to CDDA (or CDA) files. These refer to basically a raw rip of the PCM data from the CD. Very similar to a 44.1Khz, 16bit, stereo WAV file, but without the header.

My guess is the Toshiba manual is saying that it can play audio CD's. No great revelation as I don't recall a DVD player ever made that couldn't.

One thing you might want to check what kind of DVD burner you have. I'm not to versed in all the different standards, but I recall DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and burners/players that can do some or all of the above. It's possible you're burning to a type of disk that your Toshiba can't play.

Good Luck,
-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks