What's new

CD cataloging suggestions... (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for suggestions regarding cataloging my CD collection. If you're familiar with "DVD Profiler", that's the kind of software I'm looking for. I'm low-tech, don't do MP3's, don't store audio files on my system... just cataloging and cross referencing my CD collection of about 700 titles.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
sorry but i cant help you but i would like to know the same information. i have around 400 cd's and growing

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
This question comes up from time to time and I always offer my recommendation; I apologize if I sound like a broken record. Try Music Collector from www.collectorz.com (previously KeepItCompact Music.) I've tried most of the music cataloging software out there and it's the best I've seen. It's also one of the few pieces of shareware I've paid for. I like it that much.
They also have a Movie Collector product that isn't quite as robust but, from talking with the authors, they will be making changes to it, and their entire suite of products, in the near future.

John Torrez

Second Unit
Collectorz is a great program, but it can be tedious because you have to insert your cd's one by one just to catalog them.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
I did something VERY tedious with my CDs

My sister asked me to DJ her wedding so I made 'Request' books (like you see if you do Karaoke) ---- I went into MS Works and found a worksheet that would list page numbers and such, made a list of all my CDs and all the songs on them and printed evrything out (including a TOC page) ---- the page numbers represent the disc location and by looking at the TOC I can turn directly to the page/disc I want to hear and then select which track as well.

It turned out so well that my brother loaded up his box of cases (he has them stored away) and insert books in my car so I could make one for his CDs

The only problem is --- my players are not yet full and I haven't updated it since I did it (@ 2 years ago) so when I finally do get full I need to go through the whole thing, change a couple page numbers, and reprint it ---- I'll probably also need 2 books (for 600 CDs)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Collectorz is a great program, but it can be tedious because you have to insert your cd's one by one just to catalog them.
A. It has a batch insert feature.

B. How else can you get data about all your discs into an application? You either put them in and scan them, downloading the info from CDDB, or you enter them manually. What other option is there?

John Torrez

Second Unit
How else can you get data about all your discs into an application? You either put them in and scan them, downloading the info from CDDB, or you enter them manually. What other option is there?
Similar to how dvdprofiler works. But don't take me wrong, I really do think that collectorz is a great way to catalog your cd's.

Mark Olson

Auditioning
Hello,
I haven't checked other music cataloging options in several years, but the one that I started using about 5 years ago has served me very well. It is called CATraxx and here is the link for it CATraxx It sounds like entering CD data is similar to the other application mentioned here. I have been very happy with this program over the years and the customer support is fantastic!!
Take care,
Mark

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I just checked out Music Collector - and it looks pretty good to me - except I can't make it work. Whenever I try to register, I get a message that "CDDB server cannot be found". Anyone know how to fix this?

Jon

MikeAW

Second Unit
It's amazing, but I just store them in those big vinyl 45.6 litre "industrial" hampers you can buy at Costco.

I must have about 32 or 33 hampers by now...and I know which ones are not where they are supposed to be...I just want to spend my time listening!

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
You could always use a database or spreadsheet program and write your own. Most of these allow batch insertions. You will still have to type in the titles somewhere.

rw

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I suppose that the best of all worlds solution would be program equivalent to "DVD Profiler". A couple of them seem to come close. I've had a response from the people at "DVD Profiler", and they claim to be developing an equivalent "CD Profiler", but they have no target date for completion. Thanks again.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've now read the plethora of short threads that former HTFer Greg_Y (of post #s 3 and 6 herein) would refer people to when this question frequently came up.

It seems that DVD Profiler is the preferred app for cataloging DVDs and Music Collector is a recommended choice for cataloging CDs.

Any CD Tracker proponents/users (in addition to Mike Broadman)?

-p

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, Paul, I was already to bring up CD-Tracker and then you posted my name, making this post irrelevant, but I'll type it anyway. :D
I use CD-Tracker because it's easy to link to it. People are often interested in my collection and I'm usually happy to... uh... lend CDs... so it's easy to just give them a link.
It's strongest and weakest property is that, since it's just a web site, it doesn't actually catalogue CDs like Collectorz. You just type in artists and titles. The good part is that you can do 15 at a time and do your entire collection in just a couple of hours. The bad part is that you don't have track listings and details. I personally feel that with sites like allmusic.com (or, now more appropriately, other sites that use the same database like wwwp.musicmatch.com ) it's easy to find all that stuff anyway.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I had been happily using CD Tracker for the past few years, but sadly, they shut down their site today. Does anyone know of another site like it out there? I'm not interested in expensive programs like Music Collector, just a free place to catalog my collection and share it with others.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If you have a Mac, then Delicious Library is excellent. It reads the bar codes on CDs, goes out to the Amazon database and pulls in all the tracklistings, art work, and other information.

Been using it for two years and my collection is 1,302 CDs currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks