CD burning software reccommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy-P, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone could reccommend a good app for burning CDs? The HP software that came with the drive is too simple and Musicmatch Jukebox isn't very intuitive. Thanks in advance

2. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I use Nero burning rom for burning audio cd's, and cdrwin for everything else.
    Brew

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I also use Nero. Very happy with Nero 5. Basically, since Roxio began putting out Easy CD Creator it's a piece of crap; I also use FireBurner & CloneCD...

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nero Burning Rom is a great CD App...
    On-the-fly MP3-to-CD conversion.. i've been using nero for more than a year..

5. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, nero sounds like what I need, especially for on-the-fly conversion.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Its costly, but I am still a Roxio Toast fan(Easy CD Creator for Windows ppl). My favorite CD burning program that doesn't do on the fly MP3 conversion is CloneCD, which is good for sharing the "love" with friends.

7. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I would like to offer my own support for Nero. Great piece of software and well worth every penny!
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've found Nero to be the most accurate ripper and burner of the apps I've tried. That said, the user interface is pretty basic and not particularly well designed. Easy CD is OK (v. 4 anyway, don't know about the newer versions) but it's CD ripping is poor.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

-cough-
    Ok, Nero is a good burning program, but for CD-ripping and MP3 creation there are better choices. Like Exact Audio Copy and Lame. Nero can still create sub-par MP3 files, according to what I've read.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Just a note: if you are using Windows 2k, do NOT install Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 Platinum or otherwise.. it will mess you up.. BADLY! There are three patches on their website that help "fix" this but none of them overcome the problem altogether.

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ok guys here's a problem for you...since I was having problems with EZCD 4.05 in Win2K I tried to uninstally it. Of course it did uninstall but it took the CD burner with it out of spite. From reading the roxio site this is a common "feature" of this lovely software and they provided a "fix" that put back the registry enteries that EZCD modified. Well thats all fine and dandy if it worked but of course it didn't. So now I'm left with a PC that has my burner installed and reconized my windows but it refuses to load the driver...any suggestions?
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

CD drives going AWOL in W2K is not something totally uncommon. It's happened to me a few times (both CD and CD-RW at the same time). All I did was deinstall the drive in Device Manager, reboot and let the OS reinstall the drivers.
    However that wasn't linked to Easy CD (which I keep on the system but rarely use), so your mileage may vary.
    quote: PC that has my burner installed and reconized my windows but it refuses to load the driver...any suggestions?[/quote]
    I'm not clear on what you mean by this Andrew. Can you see the drive in Windows Explorer and Device Manager OK?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
    Rob's Place
    [Edited last by Rob Gillespie on September 06, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I have Nero, CDRWin, CloneCD, EZ CD 5 and DiscJuggler all installed on my machine currently (mostly demos which limit my 2x drive to 1x so no big lose). I use EZ CD for day to day data and audio burning and the others for any specialty task I may require them for. I've had no problems with EZCD 5 after getting it's problem with 2000/XP worked out and find it easiest to use. Nero's interface I find far too clumsy.
    ------------------

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rob if I uninstall the burner and reboot windows detects the drive but if you look in the device manager its got a yellow explination mark which says that its has failed to load the drivers. I'm going to try loading the EZ CD software again through a networked CDROM and see if that fixes it...
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers via Device Manager?
    If you bring up the properties for the device marked with yellow, there'll be an button in there somewhee that lets you install a driver (or reinstall). As you do this, you need to select the option that says something like "Display a list of the known drivers for this device" (or words to that effect). You then need to tell it to use the driver for Standard CD-ROM.
    See how you get on with that. If you're seeing the yellow '!' then the OS can see the device OK but it just can't tell it what to do.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
    Rob's Place

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

18. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Or it may be an even bigger problem.
    ------------------