What's new

CBS' Worst Week (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agreed. I tried to watch it again, and had to change the channel after about 5 minutes. The forced interaction and bizarre attempts at humor with his fiancee's mother were cringe-worthy and not funny at all ("hey, that's my vomit vase, no flowers, vomit only.....now get in the kitchen and fix my breakfast").

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I was channel-surfing and ran across this show. I haven't watched prime time TV in years and was surprised at just how bad it has become.

Thank God for laugh tracks

John

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I ended up watching this a day late, and having read the reactions on this forum, I assumed it would be godawful. I thought about preparing my wife for a letdown before we started watching, but I didn't to gague her unfiltered reaction.

It didn't matter anyway -- we both laughed our asses off.

I can see every flaw that is pointed out by the posters in this thread. But I'm partial to that British style of clockworks plot where everything is in play as a setup to a gag. Yes, it's contrived. Yes, some of the stuff lacks mooring in reality. Yes, you can see a lot of it coming a mile away. But I enjoy the execution.

I guess Worst Week is this year's Cavemen for me -- critically reviled, hated by many, and used as a punchline for bad television. But I like it.

:rolleyes:

TV, as a whole, is better today than it has been in a long time. It's just that they all can't be Masterpiece Theater, and there are so many channels and so many shows that you could spends days watching the dreck. It's like watching When Things Were Rotten and concluding that TV was terrible in the mid-70's.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Actually it's the seasons best reviewed new sitcom. I think it just comes down to the differences in peoples humor. Many of the complaints in this thread don't seem to realize that what they perceive as the joke failing, is the joke itself.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I guess it does come down to a matter of taste. I found RoE unwatchable. If you want to see Hollywood nepotism in action, check out Oliver Hudson -- there's no way a charisma free actor like this gets a prime time gig and bags someone like Erinn Barlett without BTS connections and string pulling (Erinn, for HIMYM watchers, was Mary the Paralegal).

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
To each his own but i have enjoyed these past two episode... I was literally laughing really hard at some points which i rarely do during sitcoms.. And Zach Gibbs is right, i've read some really good reviews of it...I'm definitely gonna stick with it for now..

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

It is??? Differing tastes I suppose. All I see these days [save a few decent drama series] are gratuitous "reality" shows, and desperate slapstick sitcoms (like Worst Week).

Now the aforementioned drama series are excellent in quality. Even if I don't always care for the shows, I am usually impressed by the production values. So maybe in a general sense you're correct.

John

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There is a lot of dreck on TV, and that's a given with the amount of channels available. But if you added up the hours of quality TV a week, you'd be hard pressed to watch all of it and keep a full time job. You need a DVR these days just to keep up with a fraction of it. It's easy to point to Wipeout (which, incidentally, I love), and say, "TV sure had gone to shit". But that's ignoring hours and hours of award winning material over dozens of channels. I mean, that's like me pointing to the rack of Harlequin Romances and saying, "books really suck these days".

BTW, the bird moving around in his pocket and being mistaken for tumescence was a "milk shooting out of the nose" moment for me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

You're right. I have to really like a show to set aside time and watch it on their schedule, thus my general aversion to prime time TV. Even shows like Seinfeld and King of Queens [my current favorite] only hit my screen in syndication.

I had a DVR for a while and did watch more TV then, but that ^&%$* thing was more trouble than it was worth. I don't think I've ever seen a less reliable product. Don't even get me started on Comcast! Great Internet. Lousy TV.

Nowadays I watch a few re-runs as indicated above, and movies, of which I have hundreds. I have OTA [Free] TV and don't miss all of those channels one bit.

John

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Over the course of its run this season, Worst Week elicited more laughs from me than most all the other 4 comedies put together that I watch this season. You just have to surrender your "that's so unsensible" reflex and just roll with it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no posts since October then Atlanta hits back to back.

I thought this show was laugh out loud funny.
every episode had me nearly falling out of my chair.
Hope it comes back.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I passed on it after two episodes. It was just too painful to watch. I think I may still have some episodes available On Demand - would I lose anything in jumping to these episodes later in the season?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
After the first episode my initial reaction was that this show was going to be a one-trick pony so I was ready to bail on it. Fortunately, my DVR recorded the follow-up episodes and I have to admit that the writers seem to have carried off the slapstick/Keystone Cops aspect quite admirably. (There is some sit-com pedigree built into the staff with executive producer Matt Tarses among others.) After watching the first month of this show I became a fan. What they do they do quite well ("slapshtick") and this has developed into one of my favorite comedies of the current season. The actors and writers seem to have notched it up a bit and I actually look forward to each episode. Not in a league with Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm, but not a waste of about 20 minutes (thanks to DVRs) of my time each week.

The only thing slightly disturbing to me is that the lead actor looks and sounds eerily like our own moderator Adam G. (what say you Patrick?) and that might just bring another level of interest to me.

;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
AdamG is handsomer than Sam, but Sam has a lower voice. Sam reminds me of a live-action Barney Rubble, but with brown-ish hair.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam is Richard Kind's good looking (well, for the Kind family) son.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks