CBS Status Report

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by FanCollector, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

Speaking of WB, they have been stepping up releases via Archive, but there are still plenty that are MIA.

2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I wish CBS would start a MOD/Archive system going full force.

HenryDuBrow and yyz2ams like this.
  3. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

Me too. Kind of. It's just that DVD-Rs don't hold up for very long. A couple of years, on average.

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Actually thats just an unsupported Myth or urban legend. I have many WA titles from almost 5 years ago that all play fine. People have MOD discs 10-12 years old that play fine. As long as the media used is good quality then they should last just as long as any DVD. They will scratch easier so you have to be careful with them. That said: No disc will last forever

Jeff Willis likes this.
  5. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

But aren't DVD-Rs based on vegetable dyes rather than actually pressed? I know the ones I've burned at home don't last very long, and I've used pretty much every brand of disc.

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The pressing is just a coating to the disc to add extra protection from dirt/dust and help against scratching. The equipment its burned on and using high quality discs makes the difference. This has really improved over the last 5-6 years. Many DVD-R's from before that did not last very long which is where the myth started.

Tooncy likes this.
  7. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    My mantra: use high quality discs (I like Taiyo-Yuden), burn at the slowest speed you can, NEVER put paper labels on your burnt discs. I have been a videographer for about thirty years and started making DVDs shortly after it was first possible. These rules have helped me. Pressed discs are just that - pressed out similarly to phonograph records. A die is pressed into the plastic creating tiny pits which are read by the laser. A protective coating is then put over this. I would take a quality pressed disc over a burnt one any day, but it is just not economically feasible in low volume, plus you couldn't do it at home anyway.

BobO'Link, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    DVDs are manufactured a bit differently than CDs and can withstand more abuse, at least on the label side. On a CD the reflective layer is protected on the top only by a thin epoxy coating over which is the silk screened label. It's *very* easy to scratch the top and ruin the reflective layer (both pressed *and* burnt) of a CD. DVDs have the reflective layers sandwiched between layers of polycarbonate. The label side of a SS disc is tough (it's as thick as the bottom) and can be scratched without affecting the playback layer (bottom). Writing on, putting labels on, even using mild solvents on the label side of a DVD will not damage the playback layer as you have to get through that polycarbonate layer first.

Here's how DVDs are constructed (this mentions recordable specifically but pressed are not much different - mainly lacking the dye layer):

A single-sided (SS) disc is composed of a recording side and a dummy side while a double-sided (DS) disc consists of two recording sides. The recording side of a DVD-R and DVD+R disc is a sandwich of a number of layers. First comes a polycarbonate plastic substrate, then an organic dye recording layer followed by a metal reflective layer. The dummy side of a single-sided disc consists of an additional flat polycarbonate plastic substrate (sometimes with an additional metal layer to obscure the bonding layer from view for aesthetic purposes). An adhesive then bonds the two sides together for the final disc. Some single-sided discs are also topped on the dummy side with additional layers that provide surfaces suitable for labeling by inkjet, thermal transfer or re-transfer printers.

So... you want to be more careful with the *playback* side of a DVD as scratches can affect playback, although they *can* be buffed out if not too deep. You can ruin a CD (or CD-R/RW) by scratching the label side but a scratch on the playback side can be buffed out.

Gary OS likes this.
  9. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Stunt Coordinator

Sagalina Hazzan
    I want CBS/Paramount to countinue releasing Moesha, Nash Bridges, and Sister, Sister to DVD.

10. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'm not the world's biggest fan of Nash Bridges but it's a pretty good show. One I hadn't thought of in a while.....thanks for the reminder!

11. GMBurns

GMBurns Stunt Coordinator

Glenn
    I'd settle for a tepid MOD program from CBS if they'd just release the final two seasons of Cannon and some more Barnaby Jones.

12. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

still hoping for the stacy keach mike hammer tv series.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

A couple of years, YIKES! That's darn near disposable software. I've got hundreds of DVD-R recordings from tv in 2004 that still play flawlessly so I guess I beat the odds.

14. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Updated to reflect the announcement of the end of Rawhide.Continuing: Becker (1 season) Dynasty (1 season; 2 releases)Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Happy Days (6 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

15. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

Actually, The Beverly Hillbillies has 6 seasons to go, since there wasn't an official release of Season One.

Ron1973 likes this.
  16. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Updated to reflect the announcement of the continuation of Gunsmoke. The Phil Silvers Show has been licensed for release in Region 2. I have left it on the list, but it will be coming out in the fall in the UK and there are rumors that it will be coming out in the US, via a licensee, soon also.Continuing: Becker (1 season) Dynasty (1 season; 2 releases)Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Happy Days (6 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (10 seasons; 20 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons)*Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

benbess likes this.
  17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

No Surprise on Gunsmoke. I expect to see a Bonanza Season 7 announcement soon. Hopefully we will see Gunsmoke Season 11 before the end of the year.

18. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Will it take another decade to finish this show, I wonder.

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

With a little luck maybe 4 years.

20. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    As I've said before, with regard to shows pre 80's, I wouldn't expect a lot from CBS from here on out. They currently only have 5 continuing series from that era (Hillbillies, Petticoat, Happy Days, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza). Although Gunsmoke Season 10 has just been announced and apparantly the next season of Bonanza is forthcoming, according to the syndication bible the only season remastered of the other three is seson six of Happy Days. Since season five is being released this month, I would expect a lengthy wait for another season, same with Gunsmoke and the Bonanza release after the next one announced. Also there is no indication as of yet that they are committed to more seasons of BH and PJ. That being said, other than one more season of Bonanza, I don't think any more vintage TV releases are dead locks at this point.
    On the upside, they have been open to licensing Bilko and Mod Squad so maybe they might do the same with stuff like My Three Sons, Love Boat, and Barnaby Jones.
    I will reiterate that I feel CBS has done a great job overall of bringing us a lot of classic shows. My only gripe with them at this point was that they never finished Cannon and unfortunately I don't think any other distributor would put in the cash to license a show that already has three oout of five seasons released.

benbess likes this.