What's new

CBS Status Report (1 Viewer)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
TV_Fan said:
I doubt the one song is holding up the release. That was a rumor started by someone who has no inside knowledge of anything CBS. Since songs/scenes were removed from other shows it seems they would probably opt for that with Mork & Mindy. With Robin Williams returning to a CBS tv show this year I'd say now seems like a really good time for the final Mork & Mindy release. Hopefully we'll hear some news soon.
Unfortunately you're right.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As I said before in a prior thread, taking a look at the upcoming release schedule for CBS give me pause to be optimistic on some of this stalled stuff. They have thus far released their upcoming lineup through November with only one (Gentle Ben) title on the docket. Their December releases will be announced next month. This would mean that other than the aforementioned "Ben" they will have no new classic releases for at least the prime early weeks of the holiday shopping season. True, this may mean little, but I see it as a possible indicator of their slow withdrawal from releasing classic TV. January and February are notoriously dry when it comes to companies releasing any new product as well. My own guess is that if we don't see at least of handful of new releases on the schedule for December, things are quickly winding down for CBS. Hope I'm wrong.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have indicated the number of remaining seasons (or releases for those series distributed in volumes) in parentheses. Continuing: Gentle Ben (1 season)Dave's World (1 season)Becker (1 season) Cannon (2 seasons)Laverne and Shirley (2 seasons) Rawhide (2 seasons; 3 releases) Dynasty (2 seasons; 4 releases) Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Petticoat Junction (5 seasons) Moesha (5 seasons) The Beverly Hillbillies (6 seasons) Happy Days (7 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:The Mod Squad (1 season)Webster (2 seasons)Diagnosis: Murder (3 seasons)

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the CBS syndication bible and there are some updates I found. Hopefully we will see some dvd announcements from this.
There may be others I only looked at a few shows.

Beverly Hillbillies Season 4
Petticoat Junction Season 3
Laverne and Shirley Season 7 and 8

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
EdG said:
I was looking at the CBS syndication bible and there are some updates I found. Hopefully we will see some dvd announcements from this.
There may be others I only looked at a few shows.

Beverly Hillbillies Season 4
Petticoat Junction Season 3
Laverne and Shirley Season 7 and 8
You, sir, are talking my language!!! Too bad they won't go back and remaster S1 of TBH for HD but with it being in the public domain, I guess it won't happen.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Ron1973 said:
You, sir, are talking my language!!! Too bad they won't go back and remaster S1 of TBH for HD but with it being in the public domain, I guess it won't happen.
Ron, if CBS does finish TBH I would not put it past them to put out a complete series with S1 remastered like I predicted they would do with Hawaii Five 0 and Season 10 (original S10 not remastered------complete series remastered).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
This would be great if this is a signal something is going to happen here. You would think with the syndication market being so poor for 60's and 70's sitcoms that there only feasible reason to re-master would be for DVD release. although I still don't understand where they remastered 5 more seasons of Love Boat several years ago and then just let them sit.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
There's always MOD, so studio reasons not to continue I can't see. It's worth remembering that they released the first season of Barnaby Jones in February 2010, so next February it'll be four years, and that's the same time between seasons 2 and 3 of Streets of San Francisco. Maybe there's still hope this is some sort of strategy of theirs behind these crime shows, giving them a new go after a while.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EdG said:
Ron, if CBS does finish TBH I would not put it past them to put out a complete series with S1 remastered like I predicted they would do with Hawaii Five 0 and Season 10 (original S10 not remastered------complete series remastered).
Parts of S2 are in the public domain if I remember correctly and those were remastered for HD. I'm looking forward to seeing S4 cleaned up and in HD and I hope they're as outstanding as S2 and S3. I'll probably splurge for PJ if indeed they release it.

I'm in the process of transferring the remainder of my Columbia House VHS tapes on TBH to DVD. I had them all on DVD but I wound up giving them to a friend in Georgia who loves letting her toddler daughter watch classic TV. I upgraded my VCR deck anyway so it all works out in the end anyway.

Reactions: EdG

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
The only thing that bothers me is, yes, it will look great in HD but how noticeable will be the cheapness of the sets? I was watching a S9 episode today where the Clampetts were in Washington D.C. with Phil "Honest John" Silvers supposedly standing in front of the White House. You could tell even on the VHS tape I was watching that they were on a set with a film running in the background of people walking past. They didn't cast any shadow and you could hear the echo of the stage. And it was also quite obvious Raymond Bailey was wearing a hair piece. I just wonder how bad HD will magnify these things.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ron1973 said:
The only thing that bothers me is, yes, it will look great in HD but how noticeable will be the cheapness of the sets? I was watching a S9 episode today where the Clampetts were in Washington D.C. with Phil "Honest John" Silvers supposedly standing in front of the White House. You could tell even on the VHS tape I was watching that they were on a set with a film running in the background of people walking past. They didn't cast any shadow and you could hear the echo of the stage. And it was also quite obvious Raymond Bailey was wearing a hair piece. I just wonder how bad HD will magnify these things.
Let's face it. You have to suspend disbelief on the Hillbillies anyway, so I don't think HD would make any difference in that regard. The background around the cement pond is obviously phony even on DVD. Who cares? It's the interaction between characters that makes the Hillbillies great.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hermes said:
Let's face it. You have to suspend disbelief on the Hillbillies anyway, so I don't think HD would make any difference in that regard. The background around the cement pond is obviously phony even on DVD. Who cares? It's the interaction between characters that makes the Hillbillies great.
As you do on most 60's shows of that nature. I remember watching it as a kid on a 25" picture tube floor model and realizing how fake the trees, etc looked around the cement pond.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated after complete sets of Diagnosis Murder and The Mod Squad were announced and additional seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction were announced. I have indicated the number of remaining seasons (or releases for those series distributed in volumes) in parentheses. Continuing: Gentle Ben (1 season)Becker (1 season) Cannon (2 seasons)Laverne and Shirley (2 seasons) Rawhide (2 seasons; 3 releases) Dynasty (2 seasons; 4 releases) Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Bonanza (8 seasons; 16 releases) Gunsmoke (11 seasons; 22 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Dave's World (1 season)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Happy Days (7 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
You need to move BH and PJ out of "stalled". And it seems to me that "Cannon" Is now back in "stalled" territory again.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
You need to move BH and PJ out of "stalled". And it seems to me that "Cannon" Is now back in "stalled" territory again.
I too believe they have re-stalled Cannon. Of course it looks like they have stalled their entire MOD program period.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks. I was revising too quickly.I have made (arbitrarily, perhaps) one year since the last release the point of being stalled. Cannon has a few months to go, but it seems Dave's World has waited more than a year now. Cannon may be stalled, but Becker went 11 months between MOD releases, so Cannon may just be on the same slow schedule.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Sister Sister is another for the 'stalled' section, only two out of six seasons released, none since 2009.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks! I just missed that one. The latest version of the list is revised to reflect Sister, Sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks