What's new

CBS Status Report (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Tooncy said:
I don't trust Shout with anything. They put out lousy releases most of the time. Old tape masters, edited episodes, the whole gamut of what I do not want.
Could it be that they are using, for a relatively small budget operation, the resources they've been given? It's the main rights holders, who likely hold the keys and vault combinations, to the best available elements who are handcuffing the independents. At minimum, we should be pleased that Shout believes in many of the shows we covet to come out and invest time and $ into their release -- for a hoped-for profit, of course.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Tooncy said:
I don't trust Shout with anything. They put out lousy releases most of the time. Old tape masters, edited episodes, the whole gamut of what I do not want.
It isn't just Shout. CBS is the one who put out Grizzly Adams (though the TMG name is on there as well). Edited episodes straight from tape masters. A show that would have looked SOOO good to go back to the original elements and remaster for HD was given sub-par treatment. It was also CBS who gave us butchered music on My Three Sons.

sandijorgens1

Auditioning
Real Name
sandi
Tooncy said:
VERY KEEN OBSERVATION, Shout is not to be trusted - Look how they ruined HAZEL using 30+ year old FADED videotape versions INSTEAD of readily available for hardly any extra money HD MASTERS - that even local channels can afford.
shoeshineboy said:
Could it be that they are using, for a relatively small budget operation, the resources they've been given? It's the main rights holders, who likely hold the keys and vault combinations, to the best available elements who are handcuffing the independents. At minimum, we should be pleased that Shout believes in many of the shows we covet to come out and invest time and $ into their release -- for a hoped-for profit, of course.
NOPE, its not the rights holders, IT is SHOUT going TOO CHEAP just like they used 30 yeard old masters for HAZEL & DENNIS THE MENACE - Instead of the newer available HD MASTERS
Ron1973 said:
It isn't just Shout. CBS is the one who put out Grizzly Adams (though the TMG name is on there as well). Edited episodes straight from tape masters. A show that would have looked SOOO good to go back to the original elements and remaster for HD was given sub-par treatment. It was also CBS who gave us butchered music on My Three Sons.
TMG is owned by SHOUT now, ALL the Money SHOUT --- wasted IN AQUIRING TMG (which is basically going away) INSTEAD of investing in QUALITY MASTERS for the shows is sickening.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Can you prove this, Sandi? You come off as another person who simply has studio hate.

sandijorgens1

Auditioning
Real Name
sandi
Ron1973 said:
Can you prove this, Sandi? You come off as another person who simply has studio hate.
Simple Research. I contated the rights holders (many emails and phone calls over months) and finally got to the right people and asked what type masters are available for the shows and costs (I used the guise I was starting a limited release type label for tv shows) and ask for costs (after I had to submit written proposals) and the cost for HD masters vs. Videotape ones was miniscule.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Never heard of fresh new HD masters for Dennis the Menace. I think all that there is without going back to the original elements to strike up new masters are the videotape masters created for syndication on Nickelodeon.

At least they look pretty good. Not as good as the show could potentially look, but above average for the source material.

Either way, Shout can indeed be lazy and careless. The excuse of "that's all we had available", while probably correct more often than not, has been used so much by them at this point that it has become tiresome and easy to be cynical about since it seems to be a catch all excuse.

But I don't think they will screw this one up too badly so I'm still very happy about this news. I'm not expecting a home-run, but I'm expecting a solid effort that is at least average.

Tooncy

Second Unit
Remember what they did with the first season of Rhoda? 16mm syndicated prints, and they called it "best available sources"? It never looked like that on TV Land.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
As much as I would like Shout to do Barnaby Jones, they mostly do by-season releases and it just has too many seasons left for the gamble probably so a complete release ala their Hill Street Blues might be worth considering. If VEI doesn't have such plans, like with Mod Squad. This or MOD/standard, CBS you hear now... ;)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Updated to reflect announcements of Gunsmoke and Happy Days for December. Not much movement from stalled to active lately...Continuing: Petticoat Junction (4 seasons)The Beverly Hillbillies (5 seasons)Happy Days (5 seasons)Bonanza (7 seasons; 14 releases) Gunsmoke (9 seasons; 18 releases) Stalled: Mork and Mindy (1 season) Becker (1 season)Dave's World (1 season)Cannon (2 seasons)Caroline in the City (2 seasons) One Step Beyond (2 seasons) Matt Houston (2 seasons) Early Edition (2 seasons) Nash Bridges (3 seasons) Evening Shade (3 seasons) Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases) Hotel (4 seasons) Sister, Sister (4 seasons)Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases) Moesha (5 seasons) Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases) The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases) My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases) Licensed:Webster (2 seasons)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I was really hoping for an announcement of a BH season 5 release by now. This is about the time the announcement came last year. I am beginning to fear they have stalled the show again.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I realize that I have at least one season of most of the shows on this stalled list -- but if the studios came out with complete series boxsets of them, I'd simply relegate those single season sets to the back of the bookcase or wardrobe and gets the complete sets as probably the studios have now as much patience as the buying public with new dvds, preferring probably the new frontier of downloads from unhackable clouds.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had a strong feeling that we would see another season of Gunsmoke by the end of the year which is great news considering we need another 9 seasons. I expect we will see Bonanza Season 8 in January or February. Re-mastering has already been completed.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Randy Korstick said:
I had a strong feeling that we would see another season of Gunsmoke by the end of the year which is great news considering we need another 9 seasons. I expect we will see Bonanza Season 8 in January or February. Re-mastering has already been completed.
I would love to see Bonanza Season 8, since it was the last of a three year run as the #1 rated show.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I just received season 7 in the mail today. While I picked up seasons 8 through 13 from Germany as a backup plan, I would gladly double dip with the remastered CBS releases as long as they continue. At least through season 11 since I am partial to the Candy years as well. For Season 12 through 13, the German sets will probably suit me just fine (or just wait for a really beg sale), and I'm not interested in the last season without Hoss.

Glad to see Gunsmoke season 11 will still make it by year end. I have season 10 volume 1 and I'm just waiting for volume 2 to be delivered. This marks the end of the B/W seasons. It will be interesting to see where they go with the color seasons. While I'm not really interested in them all, I would definitely pick up a few color seasons for sure.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The color seasons are the ones I grew up watching (via German TV) and remember, so I'm getting those also when they come as well as collecting all these b&w now.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Great news on Gunsmoke! It's amazing that all the black and white seasons will be on DVD! I never thought they'd get this far!

I hope they do the color seasons next! Judging from what runs on TV Land, those episodes could really use a remastering.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I wasn't expecting to see another Gunsmoke release this year, so this is great news as S11 ends the BW years. I look forward to a CBS HD remastered color S12. I plan to pick it up (S12), but I am not as familiar with these episodes..

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And S11 officially raises the record number on titles for the 1965-66 season again! (I think it should be 43 now).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Frank Soyke said:
I was really hoping for an announcement of a BH season 5 release by now. This is about the time the announcement came last year. I am beginning to fear they have stalled the show again.
Doesn't look good for that one or Petticoat Junction continuing in the immediate future. I wouldn't write it off just yet, though.

The general release for both didn't happen until the spring so CBS might be gauging their timing for a follow-up off that instead of the Wal-Mart release date. Can't really return it to the stalled list until that date comes and goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks