CBS Remaking "The Wild Wild West"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/cbs-to-remake-the-wild-wild-west-series-with-writers-ron-moore-and-naren-shankar/

CBS is bringing the adventures of Secret Service Agents Jim West and Artemis Gordon back to the small screen. "Battlestar Galactica" developer/showrunner Ronald D. Moore and former "CSI" executive producer/co-showrunner Naren Shankar are writing and executive producing. Since this is Moore's third series this year, following Sci-Fi police procedural "17th Precinct" and coast guard adventure series "The McCulloch" for NBC, Shankar would presumably be showrunning should the pilot make it to series. If they boil it down to the essentials of two secret service agents going on missions for President Ulysses S. Grant in a steam-punk twist on the post-Civil War West, I think this could be terrific. Ditch the train, ditch the over reliance on gadgets. Put these guys on horseback, have them sleeping under the open sky between towns, mix in normal outlaws and thieves with the more fantastical villains, and it's a show I'd definitely want to watch.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Kind of like Red Dead Redemption: The Series. I'm not a BSG fan at all, but I've liked some of Moore's past work and am interested in a new western. I'll check it out, at least. So, the other two are for next season as well?

3. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

I say bring on the train and bring on the gadgets. This is one remake I can get behind.

4. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Screenwriter

Willard
    It is not Wild Wild West without the train and gadgets. Will watch it a few times to see if it is any good.

5. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    If steampunk gadgets and the train aren't part of this, then it's crap. This show was the heart of the steampunk set. You can't go back and say "we'll remake a series without the stuff that people loved".

I mean, you can remake BattleStar Galactica, but I don't recall any thought of "We'll remake Battlestar.. without the Cylons!"

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Yeah, but he did it without the *good* Cylons. The '70s versions were iconic, the CGI versions were crap.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Haven't really heard too many people actually dissing the nu-Cylons from the remake since the show started -- in fact, the ones seen in Seasons 3 and 4 are quite stunning and photorealistic.

(Though, at least design-wise, you'll get another chance to see the "classic" Cylons in action, in BSG: Blood & Chrome, if technically in a different continuity.)

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Gotta have the gadgets (and the disguises). I'll never understand the attitude that says "hey, let's bring back old series X, but change it so we're not really bringing it back". If you want to do something different, why the hell are you using the old name?

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I love the Original, and I'm sure CBS is all remake crazy since Hawaii Five O is a hit. But I wish there was more originality today. Good Original shows get cancelled, still I'll watch, has to be better than the Will Smith Version. Isn't the Streets of San Fran Remake still on track?

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

Oy vey!