What's new

CBS releases!! Great. Other shows they need to release (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
What are the best years for television? Whenever you yourself were between 8 and 12 years old. So for me, I love practically every show from 1965 to 1969. It's not the years, it's your age.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I dreamed of having 4 English language channels as a kid. There was only one Armed Forces TV channel broadcasting in West Germany. Five years with a single channel - and there was no such thing as a VCR to supplement. Amish kids made fun of us.

I've been using TV shows on DVD to catch up on all the stuff that wasn't shown on AF and wasn't syndicated when we returned to America (like The Odd Couple and Lidsville).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hank,

This is an interesting point. I was 8-12 in 1966-1970. I have several television shows on VHS tape or DVD from that time period, plus a few earlier than that that I watched with my parents. I only have a few from the 1980s and 1990s (Trek series, for example). The shows that I am hopeful will come to DVD are also from 1966-1970.

What made you choose those specific years (8-12)? Just curious. For my own part, that truly was kind of a 'golden age for kids.' I'm so happy that I was that age at that time.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
What other "major" dramas from the 1950s and 1960s could CBS/Paramount put on DVD?

Looking at their syndication bible, seems like only Bonanza, Ben Casey, and The Millionaire.

Hope they get the rights straightened out and start releasing Bonanza. I could maybe see a Ben Casey too, after they finish off their other series, if only a Season 1, Volume 1 release, to test the waters.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Quite a few actually. The biggest one would be The Defenders, which ran for 4 seasons in the early 60s and won Emmy Awards every year for best drama. It is considered one of the greatest shows in TV history but unfortunately it hasn't aired anywhere in a long, long time. Rights are split between Paramount and the show's creator and that may be the problem. By the same producer there is The Nurses, which ran for 3 seasons and was basically The Defenders in a hospital. Some others:

The Lineup (aka San Francisco Beat) was the San Francisco version of Dragnet, using actual case files. There were almost 200 half hours made plus a short final season that ran an hour. One of the very few shows with that many episodes that has never aired in the taping era.

NYPD ran only 2 seasons but that was a great cop show from the late 60s.

Sheriff of Cochise (aka U.S. Marshall) was a syndicated cop show that ran four seasons, kind of their version of Highway Patrol. Over 150 episodes.

Whirlybirds was a very popular syndicated show that ran for 3 seasons and over 100 episodes.

While not exactly a long-running show, Slattery's People, which ran a year and a half, was a good show starring Richard Crenna as a state legislator.

Since you mention Bonanza, I guess you are including westerns as well. They own The Rebel, the 2 season Nick Adams series. Also, Trackdown, another 2 season show which starred Robert Culp. Not a great show but I'm sure it has it's fans, there was the 4-season High Chapparal. Then there are many classic live dramas, which no one knows how many kines survived, such as Playhouse 90, Studio One, Danger and Climax. Also, the 2 season Desilu Playhouse.

CBS/Paramount also owns some interesting short run series as well: Coronet Blue, The Young Lawyers, Breaking Point, The New Breed, The New People, Longstreet, For the People, Garrison's Gorillas, The Reporter and The Immortal.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

"N.Y.P.D." is on my list of "top 10" unreleased shows that I'd like to own; it really was a great cop show and maybe was a bit ahead of its time.

"Whirlybirds" was a childhood favorite which I saw when it was in syndication in the early 1960s; while I don't hold much hope for season releases, I'd be very happy with even a "best of" collection.

At least with "Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshal" there are a few public domain episodes available (courtesy of Timeless Media, Alpha, and others). I'm guessing that there are around 20 episodes circulating on the PD labels. Like "Whirlybirds," I'd really be surprised if this ever surfaced in legitimate season sets.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Am still really hoping Clueless will get released on DVD at some point

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
I won't buy anything that CBS/Paramount releases until they go back and fix the mess they did to The Fugitive Season 2 Vol. 1. They really hacked it up! And if we continue to support them when they do this, they can, and will no doubt, destroy any of these classic shows that are listed just because they can.

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
Great post Hank, excellent examples of great shows sadly neglected.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Does CBS own the rights to Queens Supreme (2003) would love this show on dvd starring Robert Loggia, Annabella Sciorra, Kyra Sedgwick, Oliver Platt etc Great cast shame it hast received a release yet

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Anyone think That's Life will get a DVD release, had a good cast with Ellen Burstyn, Paul Sorvino, Kevin Dillion and Danielle Harris

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Oh, the little bit of THAT'S LIFE that I saw was indeed very good. That's one I wouldn't hesitate very long before buying, Nikki. I agree it had a great cast, you just forgot to mention the lead actress, Heather Paige Kent, and the always great Debi Mazar.

Judging from your original post, you may be interested to know that a "Best of" of THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL has just been released in France and Belgium. This is obviously Region 2, which shouldn't be a problem if you're from the UK, and it has an English audio track. If you want to look it up, the show's French title is AMOUR, GLOIRE ET BEAUTE (which can be literally translated as LOVE, GLORY AND BEAUTY). It is a three-disc set and according to a review I read, features 20 episodes, including:

- the series premiere
- the first encounter between Brooke Logan and the Forrester family
- the 1994 wedding of Brooke and Ridge, while Taylor was staying with Prince Omar
- Macy's death when her car exploded near Big Bear
- the episode in which Bridget found out that Ridge was Massimo's son
- Bridget's first night with Deacon
- RJ's birth
- Ridge's fake death
- Sheila shooting Brooke and Taylor

The SRP is 29.99€ which is approximately £20.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

since this last post, the shows in bold have been released, in some form, hoping to see more in the future.

A show I completely forgot to add to this list originally was The Division (2001) - 4 seasons

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Anyone know who owns the rights to City Of Angels (2000) it starred Blair Underwood, Tamara Taylor, Gabrielle Union and Vivica A. Fox. It aired on CBS but not sure if they own it. Would love this show to be released on dvd

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see The Guardian released on DVD and I'm hoping (not optimistically) that it's being considered, since its star (Simon Baker) is now starring in the season's most popular new show, The Mentalist. But isn't The Guardian owned by Sony rather than CBS?

Speaking of Paramount shows though, I'd love to see the one-season series Shane (1966, starring David Carradine and Jill Ireland) released. That would make a really nice box set and they should get some interviews or commentary from Carradine while he's still with us.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

P.S. I hate these black backgrounds with white print. Super-hard on the eyes.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I'm really glad that Dave's World and Jake and the Fatman is selling well and continueing. I'm also glad that Friday the 13th has come out and Tales From The Darkside is on the way but there is just two things I want from Paramount and I would be a happy man and they are

Sightings

Do Over

Please don't dissapoint me in 2009 Paramount you have done a really good so far

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

I was 8-12 in 1992 and 1996, which is probably why my show selection ranges mainly from 1980s-current. Someone on the Shout message board said that most of my selections are since 1980 and that I should have all of them recorded on VCR or DVD, I wish I only had a couple of channels and most I saw either on holidays abroad or on Sky at my parents. Theres nothing wrong with wanting shows from any era on DVD in my opinion and I'm not fortunate enough to record all the ones I want, I try and download some to keep me over til my faves are released.

Seeing as Shout is being awesome with releases am hoping CBS/Paramount will do the same and I hope they restart Touched By An Angel and perhaps start Seven Days

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Am definately hoping 2009 will be a good TV DVD year from CBS/Paramount with continuations of our faves and perhaps some new shows too

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks