What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I spent 5 hours working on my patio today (nearly done), and that gave me a great deal of time to reflect on our policy, and some of the comments both here and through emails to the site, and I've come up with a good compromise. We won't be posting news on the releases, however I've already added the release listings to the site, and I'll continue to post retailer exclusives as release listings going forward.

As some have mentioned, TVShowsOnDVD.com has been the number one source of TV-DVD news since we launched November 1st, 2001, and we'd like to continue being the go-to site for fans of TV shows. While the policy seemed logical from our point of view, it really wasn't in the best interest of TV show fans who are looking for a LEGAL way to own their favorite show. This decision, which I'll call a compromise, will notify fans of those shows that there's a release coming out, and provide them a link to purchase it from the exclusive retailer. The releases will also show up under the show, and appear in the release schedule, just as any other release would. However, I plan to hide these retailer exclusive listings once the set has a wide release (they'll still be in the database, just invisible).

Of course this decision came after I received a call from Jeff Bezos last night ;) (that's a joke)

The thing I find the funniest is that out of the various "conspiracy theories" that were posted here (and in the other thread), no one posted that TVShowsOnDVD.com is actually owned by CBS (CBS Interactive owns TV Guide, which owns us). For the record, we've previously been part of Fox (News Corp), and Lionsgate. And no, I didn't receive a call from anyone at CBS telling me to cover these releases.

Thanks to those "sane" posters who gave me different viewpoints to consider. It's also "fun" (yeah, I'll use that word), to find a long-time email-ranter to our website has decided to register here to post his rants publically. I'm sure he'll provide you with lots of laughs, as he's provided me with many other the years.

Unlike my previous post where I said I wouldn't check this thread again, I'll drop by over the next few days to see what's said, and hopefully participate in the conversation.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gord,

I appreciate everything you have done for us. I was head-scratching like many here over the decision arrived at previously but I accepted with good graces. I also appreciate the quick reply to the e-mail I sent you regarding bonus features on the set. Keep up the good work! Oh, feel free to come anytime and help me put in new ceilings in my house! :lol:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Oh, feel free to come anytime and help me put in new ceilings in my house! :lol:
This comment is funnier because I'm 6'8, which would probably be handy when it comes to installing a ceiling. Hmm... I've never been to Missouri...

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I received the email as well. Thank you. I hope I was considered one of the "sane" ones. I've always gone to TVshowsondvd for release info, but felt blindsided when I walked into a store and found an exclusive release. Thanks again.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gord Lacey said:
This comment is funnier because I'm 6'8, which would probably be handy when it comes to installing a ceiling. Hmm... I've never been to Missouri...
Lol!!! I'm 5'6" so it's a chore for me. I "sort of" had my childhood home given to me (long story) and I've did tons of work on it but still need to do new ceilings in here and the kitchen both. I HATE ceilings!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hasslein said:
I received the email as well. Thank you. I hope I was considered one of the "sane" ones. I've always gone to TVshowsondvd for release info, but felt blindsided when I walked into a store and found an exclusive release. Thanks again.
That's part of the reason we don't (whoops.... haven't) cover these exclusives. This is the only time that a press release has been issued for a retailer exclusive (at least that I can recall). These usually appear in stores without any notice at all, and our only tip-off is when people email us to say they've seen it in a store, or noticed it in the store's circular. Makes it hard to report on a release when it's a stealth release.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for a very reasonable compromise, Gord. I understood your frustration with these exclusive release deals, but I also appreciate having a means of finding all the information about television on DVD in one always reliable location.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I just wanted to thank Gord for stepping in and announcing what I think is a fair and very reasonable compromise. Frankly the old policy didn't make sense to me due to inconsistency with how the WAC and Shout releases were handled but I respected it because the owners of TSOD.com have every right to set their own policies and they've been one of the best sites around both in terms of content and for being the class act they are. I still check it daily.

In my opinion the majority of the posters at HTF who commented on this issue were also reasonable....I hope the very few bad apples didn't discourage Gord/Dave.

Again, let's not feed the trolls. That's the reaction they want and keeps them going. Hopefully the HTF moderaters will remove as necessary.

Now, let's get back to Jed and all his kin.....

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I loved the dialogue when Jethro was going into the reserve program (I believe S6 or S7):Reserve Officer: You'll be filling out a lot of forms now that you're in the reserves. Name, address, phone number, that's all fine. But, Jethro, where it says "sex," write "male" not "oh, boy!"

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Maybe its me, but I'm still a bit confused. So these titles can be searched for and found for those looking for a specific title, These titles will be in the release schedule if you are scanning the release dates to see what comes out on a particular month. But it is not allowed to be considered news to be posted in the "news" section. I know it is considered a compromise and Gord has thought this through to come up with this. But for me, I rarely do a search on the site since I have a pretty good idea what has been released, I only go to the release schedule to clarify a release date for a title I already know about (not to find news about new releases), and I haven't used the feature to be notified (maybe I should). For me the most valuable thing is the "news" and that hasn't changed.

So that leads me to wonder, why add it in all the other places but that one? Personally, if given a choice I'd rather you put it in the news and leave it out if need be in the other places. Unless, it is because the "News" is the most popular section of the site. Therefore, by leaving it out of there it still maintains the policy intact for the most part. But then maybe I don't use the site like others, and this change will satisfy others better than me. All I know is that it sounded like change at first, but in reality it really isn't, at least not for my use. But hopefully I'm a minority and this compromise will benefit the majority.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
smithbrad said:
Maybe its me, but I'm still a bit confused. So these titles can be searched for and found for those looking for a specific title, These titles will be in the release schedule if you are scanning the release dates to see what comes out on a particular month. But it is not allowed to be considered news to be posted in the "news" section. I know it is considered a compromise and Gord has thought this through to come up with this. But for me, I rarely do a search on the site since I have a pretty good idea what has been released, I only go to the release schedule to clarify a release date for a title I already know about (not to find news about new releases), and I haven't used the feature to be notified (maybe I should). For me the most valuable thing is the "news" and that hasn't changed.

So that leads me to wonder, why add it in all the other places but that one? Personally, if given a choice I'd rather you put it in the news and leave it out if need be in the other places. Unless, it is because the "News" is the most popular section of the site. Therefore, by leaving it out of there it still maintains the policy intact for the most part. But then maybe I don't use the site like others, and this change will satisfy others better than me. All I know is that it sounded like change at first, but in reality it really isn't, at least not for my use. But hopefully I'm a minority and this compromise will benefit the majority.
If you're signed up for e-mail updates for a particular show, you'll still get updated via e-mail. I was "notified" earlier tonight by Gord via a standard e-mail as were other users subscribed for TBH/PJ releases. Granted, I'm pretty much notified via this forum but as a "just in case" measure, I'm also signed up for e-mail updates on shows I want to see.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
It's better being set up as a release because it appears multiple places, including the release schedule. It's also easier for me to add (basically just copying/pasting the information from whatever listing is available at the retailers). Dave spends way more time organizing and planning his daily news than a release lisitng takes. Don't forget, we're just two guys working half time on the website.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Gord Lacey said:
It's better being set up as a release because it appears multiple places, including the release schedule. It's also easier for me to add (basically just copying/pasting the information from whatever listing is available at the retailers). Dave spends way more time organizing and planning his daily news than a release lisitng takes. Don't forget, we're just two guys working half time on the website.
Understood...I'm not suggesting how you go about determining your workload. If doing it in the "News" as well is more work than that is understandable. If this works out for everyone else that is great. But for me, I've just been checking the "News" periodically to see what has been announced. Some times I see titles that catch my interest that I may not have known to search for or set up a watch for. So the compromise doesn't change anything for me regarding these types of release. But that's just me and I was just pointing that out, if there are others that used the site like me. That's it I'm done, we can go back to the regular scheduled programming.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
But for me, I've just been checking the "News" periodically to see what has been announced.
As the news guy for the site, I have to admit that doing this, and ONLY this, is a terrible way to find out what TV-DVDs you want to buy. If you overlook a news item for something you want, you never know it came out (or is coming out). I'm constantly both amused and frustrated by readers who email me to say "hey, thanks for the good job you do, but you overlooked reporting about a release coming up next month of [insert title here]"...and my only reply is, "thanks, but I reported on that title on [insert date from a month or two ago here, followed by a link]." It's clearly easy for readers to miss news, no matter how hard we try.For that reason the site, since Day 1, has always depended on the "Release Schedule" calendar (at our site, find the "Browse DVDs" listing on the menu bar across the top, and it's the second item down in the resulting drop-down menu) as the main way to see what's out this week, what's coming up soon, and what's recently out. Items on that calendar never go away; you can scroll back to the beginning of the site to find things. Every Tuesday at the TSoD feeds on Facebook and Twitter I post a link to the schedule of current week's releases. Do we sometimes make mistakes and leave something off of there? Sure, we're only human...and - as Gord said - we're a staff of two part-timers and that's it (it's not only a big reason why we have to "draw a line" and put some limits on what we will and won't cover, but also our biggest reason - or excuse, if you prefer - when we make some sort of error or oversight).But it's still easy for a reader to miss something on the calendar, too, as well as a news post, so the best thing to do is do a search and look up your favorite TV shows. You can do it "manually" from time to time, or you can make it easy on yourself and register at the site (for free, and we don't sell or give names/addresses to spammers...we hate spammers!) and turn on e-mail alerts, and then look up your favorite shows and "vote" for them. That means you get an automatic e-mail sent to you every time news or a release listing is posted for that show. Hey, I've been working for the site for over 10 years, and I STILL think of old shows from when I was younger and go "oh, hey, I need to go vote for that show so it's on my official list!" (You say, "Dave, you POST the news; you'll know if it gets released...but I *do* take vactions and sick days [I'll have one this coming Tuesday], so Gord posts news in my place sometimes).Anyway, we recommend you take full advantage of the site and not just scan for news headlines. Gee, I realize this post sounds like an advertisement and all, and I'm sorry. I'm more sorry that my original post about the policy brought this thread so VERY off-topic in the first place. But since Ron & the HTF staff have allowed the conversation, I just want to point out as "the news guy" that Gord's solution - the release listings - are better overall for readers than the "news," and explain in-depth why that would be the case. He asked me what I thought before implementing, and I totally agree with Gord's plan.Just two other things, if I may. I saw one person say - either in this thread or the PJ thread - that the reason we were avoiding these items is because we're too young to know the shows. Two weeks ago I turned 48, and I grew up watching both of these programs reliously, as they were after-school staples (along with I Love Lucy, Brady Bunch, Leave It To Beaver, Batman, Get Smart, McHale's Navy, Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle, Adventures of Superman, etc.). Def'ly enjoy Jed and all his kin. The other thing I saw - since quickly deleted, I believe, whether by the poster or a mod - was someone bashing me a bit this past Friday (the other day) for "no news posts"...the deletion of that comment probably occurred after my news DID appear, although an hour or two after they usually do. Sorry for that, but I was at several doctors all day...my teenage son broke his kneecap while showing off at school (he'll need an MRI this coming week, and surgery soon after...nice Friday the 13th, right?). Anyway, apologies if news got delayed as a result.Hopefully this settles the TSoD portion of this thread, and people can JUST talk about TBH now. :)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Love the show but I think I will wait for a possible complete series of this show.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Gord Lacey said:
Well, if people don't buy the sets as they're released the possibility of the show being finished is slim. That's the case for any show.
Which is a good reason for not buying season sets when it involves so many seasons. Some of us don't like investing in season sets to have them stop before they are finished. Or we don't like the painfully slow releases over the period of many years. Lets face it, one of their tricks is to have you buy season sets, stop releasing them, then come out with a complete series hoping you will bite. They won't mention further individual season releases until they have got enough out of the complete series release. i.e. Mod Squad

I usually never wait for a complete series release unless it is mentioned up front. In a big series like this it is considerably cheaper to wait and buy the complete series instead of individual seasons. There is no better example than Dark Shadows. I bought the original series over the years and it cost about what it cost to put a kid through college. The complete series comes out for a few hundred dollars--major price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks