What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (2 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
I've been wondering about something and I hope that maybe someone can tell me. We've been given the running time which equals out to what it should be for 32 episodes at 25 minutes apeice. What about the "bonus" of the cast commercials/extra verse on the theme song? Were those counted in the running times on S2 and S3 or do bonuses get configured in with the running time at all? I guess I'm hoping against hope that the sponsor plugs will be included on S4. Many of the old Columbia House VHS episodes, while not containing the actual plug spot, did have the super-imposed product logo over the closing credits (Kellogg's and LifeBuoy Soap were the only two I remember seeing) and I've seen a couple of the plugs on YouTube, so we know they do exist.
Are you sure about cast commercials existing? The Fourth Season of TBH corresponds to the sixth season of The Andy Griffith Show (1965-1966). On the DVD set for season 6 of TAGS, there are no cast commercials. Perhaps CBS ceased doing them at that time. When they went to color, I think that there was a much greater expenses so it may have been that instead of having one or two sponsors, that's when the networks started having anyone with the money pay for a commercial. On the other hand, it may be cutting out cast commercials (if they do exist) would be a way for CBS to cut costs.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
David Lambert said:
That's unfortunate, because at TVShowsOnDVD.com we NEVER cover items which are available only at one brick-and-mortar retailer, at the expense of all the others. If this title becomes available for general release later on, then we will cover it.
As this conerns a TV SHOW released ON DVD, there is no valid reason for you to ignore this release, and that of season 3 of Petticoat Junction, on a website called TV SHOWS ON DVD. Or am I missing something?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
DaveHof2 said:
As this conerns a TV SHOW released ON DVD, there is no valid reason for you to ignore this release, and that of season 3 of Petticoat Junction, on a website called TV SHOWS ON DVD. Or am I missing something?
New name is TV Shows On DVD except the ones who might "P" off our benefactors

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Frank Soyke said:
That's a reason I can well understand. If a large portion of my income depended upon Amazon's good will, I probably would do the same. What's strange is that they seem to have deluded themselves into believing that their readers think that it's a great policy, hence Dave Lambert's post here. Beyond that, they seem to have a holy reverence for their policies. They took a lot of criticism for not reporting on the Sony chronological three stooges releases. They stood by their policy, and distinguished it from Looney Tunes, on the basis of their being a network tv show called The Buggs Bunny Show that showed old theatrical cartoons while there were only local listings of The Three Stooges that showed Stooges shorts. To me, it was a distinction without a difference, and it neither endeared them to their readers nor Amazon, yet they stuck to it. I find their behavior in this regard weird.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
JoeDoakes said:
Are you sure about cast commercials existing? The Fourth Season of TBH corresponds to the sixth season of The Andy Griffith Show (1965-1966). On the DVD set for season 6 of TAGS, there are no cast commercials. Perhaps CBS ceased doing them at that time. When they went to color, I think that there was a much greater expenses so it may have been that instead of having one or two sponsors, that's when the networks started having anyone with the money pay for a commercial. On the other hand, it may be cutting out cast commercials (if they do exist) would be a way for CBS to cut costs.
Very sure:

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I'm quite surprised that it has taken until now to get just a few of the seasons on DVD. The Beverly Hillbillies was one of, if not THE all time classic sitcom in that era. It remains one of my favorites and I can always laugh when they were on syndication.

It's not all about modern era programs, I wasn't even close to that generation growing up. But, my taste in sitcoms spans many decades and I find most of what passes these days to be just horrid by comparison. They should have an entire box set of all their shows by now and done a nice restore job on them too. I just can't understand why these and some other shows like unedited WKRP, Newhart, etc. just have not be done long before now?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffery_H said:
I'm quite surprised that it has taken until now to get just a few of the seasons on DVD. The Beverly Hillbillies was one of, if not THE all time classic sitcom in that era. It remains one of my favorites and I can always laugh when they were on syndication.

It's not all about modern era programs, I wasn't even close to that generation growing up. But, my taste in sitcoms spans many decades and I find most of what passes these days to be just horrid by comparison. They should have an entire box set of all their shows by now and done a nice restore job on them too. I just can't understand why these and some other shows like unedited WKRP, Newhart, etc. just have not be done long before now?
WKRP is suffering from music issues. You're looking at a long time, if ever, that it will get a proper release.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Frank Soyke said:
Yeah I found that out when I inquired as to why the Six Million Dollar Man Season Two (Best Buy Exclusive, at the time) wasn't listed. Yet they reported the Time Life releases. Go figure. Selective reporting means they are not THE source for information on television releases and it compromises the sites credibility.

G

gogo.there

Hasslein said:
Yeah I found that out when I inquired as to why the Six Million Dollar Man Season Two (Best Buy Exclusive, at the time) wasn't listed. Yet they reported the Time Life releases. Go figure. Selective reporting means they are not THE source for information on television releases and it compromises the sites credibility.
That site has NO CREDABILITY,

they do not cover anime tv releases, nor the three stooge shorts,

their bullcrap reason for not covering the stooges, was because it never had a show, well even after those tvshowsondvd goofs were shown in 2000 and 2001 and later, on AMC the stooges had a show with leslie nielsen wrap arouns, those tvshowsondvd goofs still refused to cover the releases, even though, they cover looney tunes, which were movie cartoons filmed then and put on tv with wrap arounds. they do nothing but repost press releases,

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
gogo.there said:
That site has NO CREDABILITY,

they do not cover anime tv releases, nor the three stooge shorts,

their bullcrap reason for not covering the stooges, was because it never had a show, well even after those tvshowsondvd goofs were shown in 2000 and 2001 and later, on AMC the stooges had a show with leslie nielsen wrap arouns, those tvshowsondvd goofs still refused to cover the releases, even though, they cover looney tunes, which were movie cartoons filmed then and put on tv with wrap arounds. they do nothing but repost press releases, they are useless when it comes to covering news, everyone should contact http://www.tvguide.com/services/staff.aspx and complaing about www.tvshowsondvd.com
Despite my criticisms, I still believe that TVSHOWSONDVD is a very good website. I have never heard anyone complain about anime, there seem to be innumerable anime releases and I don't care about it. All of your posts are very overheated. I see what you are trying to do, but it seems rather pointless.

G

gogo.there

JoeDoakes said:
Despite my criticisms, I still believe that TVSHOWSONDVD is a very good website. I have never heard anyone complain about anime, there seem to be innumerable anime releases and I don't care about it. All of your posts are very overheated. I see what you are trying to do, but it seems rather pointless.
the website is supposed to cover tv shows, which they only selictively cover - so they should be called onlytvshowswewanttocoverondvd.com and no not heated, just direct and to the point, amazing the younger people who can not think and also have been brainwashed to avoid facts

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
gogo.there said:
the website is supposed to cover tv shows, which they only selictively cover - so they should be called onlytvshowswewanttocoverondvd.com and no not heated, just direct and to the point, amazing the younger people who can not think and also have been brainwashed to avoid facts
I'm hardly a younger person, or even just young. But I do understand and use English fluently and, yes, your posts are overheated and full of hyperbole. It's amazing how facts can be stated without unnecessary and superfluous adjectives. You also seem intent on insulting anyone who disagrees with you. Why is that?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
gogo.there said:
While you're busy pointing out "brainwashed" people, take some time out and learn some grammar, capitalization of letters and how to use capital letters as well as how to spell.

G

gogo.there

Ron1973 said:
While you're busy pointing out "brainwashed" people, take some time out and learn some grammar, capitalization of letters and how to use capital letters as well as how to spell.
The spelling and other errors were done on purpose to prove a point. That point is when people read an argument, they will look for any reason to try and discredit said argument, when the person knows (that being you Ron1973) is wrong and can not counter it.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
gogo.there said:
The spelling and other errors were done on purpose to prove a point. That point is when people read an argument, they will look for any reason to try and discredit said argument, when the person knows (that being you Ron1973) is wrong and can not counter it.
Why should I attempt to discredit your inane ramblings? You're doing a most excellent job without any help, troll.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
gogo.there said:
Reeeduckulous

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Let's not feed the trolls. The moderators will make the problem go away soon enough. It's unfortunate that so many threads have gotten derailed so far.

With regards to the topic at hand.....TBH is not one of my favorites but I'm pleased that it is coming out for those who are fans. I do have a question for the fans of this show: at one time, this was one of the most popular syndicated shows around and various episodes had records for being the in top 10 most watched episodes on TV. Yet, it apparently has proved to be a tough sell on DVD judging by the slow pace of releases. Why do you think that is? Is it because it was overexposed at one time or has it simply lost favor with the most recent generation?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The Beverly Hillbillies was THE most highest rated and beloved sitcom in what the studio executives derisively consider "fly-over country." I can't imagine that it was as popular in New York as it was in Texas where I grew up. Perhaps the decision makers at CBS/Paramount don't realize what a piece of mid-century Americana TBH is. Also, too, perhaps time hasn't been kind to its basic conceit -- that there could exist some country folk from a place so remote that they had no idea what a telephone or a doorbell was. Even in the jet-setting sixties, it took a huge leap of faith to swallow the premise. Now, with the world ever smaller with the internet, it just seems ludicrous.

I'm thrilled just to be getting season four, for I think the series peaked right about here and began treading water soon afterward.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Steve...O said:
Yet, it apparently has proved to be a tough sell on DVD judging by the slow pace of releases. Why do you think that is?
My opinion, for this and many other shows of vintage, is the studios start releasing DVDs at Season 1. Then they do Season 2. etc. They are either just plain stupid, or stupidly greedy.

Fans of these shows know they didn't start to get "good" until S3 or S4. That's what the majority of people want, not the S1 and S2. But the marketers figure the fans will buy them all anyway, so they start at the beginning thinking they'll capitalize. The early seasons don't sell enough, because people are waiting for the good ones. They stall the whole show's release on DVD.

I'll bet a lot of the decisions are made by people who really haven't the slightest clue about a show, they are working from "numbers" based on past experience with "similar" shows. To be fair, the people making these kind of decisions are probably quite junior, and I wouldn't expect them to even be able to judge since they didn't live at the time the shows were current so can't judge the audience "connection".

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm glad it coming out and I'm going to get it. Basic statement, but truthful. Don't really care whether they report it or their reasons anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks