What's new

CBS Press Release: Petticoat Junction Season 3 (1 Viewer)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Will the Walmart in Canada carry these titles as well? I'd REALLY like to purchase both.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
IMO Gord and Dave want these dvd releases to be just as successful as anyone else who loves classic tv on dvd. I don't think their intention is to damage sales for the show by not posting news on their website. It's a policy of theirs. Maybe they will change it maybe they wont but those guys have done so much for so many here over the years with news, getting us fixes/replacement dvds, help with contacting studios and reps etc about issues. Whether you agree with their policy or not, that website has done more good for tv on dvd than a lot are giving them credit for. As a huge fan of both shows I understand all the frustration here but I respect their decision.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The policy makes no sense. Why should a label like Shout get free publicity for its "bonus" discs that you can only order direct from their site, which is a far more narrow venue than Walmart stores are if some supposed principle is at stake? I also don't remember this policy being invoked for Best Buy when they had exclusives. So the policy therefore is not being applied consistently. And the issue of what they did in the past, with all due respect, is not a relevant issue. This gets to the credibility of their website as a news resource.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
I could respect their decision as well if I could understand the justification behind it. As others have already posted, there have been a number of DVD releases with unique circumstances that were covered on their excellent website.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Call it like it is. Crap. Based on financial interests only, Period. Soooo many of us have been waiting for these releases for many years and according to the a certain website, it it isn't happening. Gimme a break.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Frank Soyke said:
Call it like it is. Crap. Based on financial interests only, Period. Soooo many of us have been waiting for these releases for many years and according to the a certain website, it it isn't happening. Gimme a break.
Yeah, you're right. I want to give them the benefit of the dobut because Gord has been good to me over the years, but there really is no good reason for that policy.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
cherisland said:
Will the Walmart in Canada carry these titles as well? I'd REALLY like to purchase both.
If they don't, I am sure there will be several sellers on eBay who will be snapping a bunch of these up to sell immediately. I know of several eBay DVD sellers who deal in bulk and they always have fair prices and reasonable shipping. I will probably get mine there.

While I am thrilled to be getting this, I loathe Walmart and wish a company like MPI who really cares about Classic TV was going to profit from this release instead.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Remember when we used to have things like record/CD stores and toy stores? Places where the employees actually knew their product and could answer questions about them than workers who know zero cause they will be called to automotive in an hour. Thanks Sam Walton. I'm sure the folks in line at the unemployment office are very appreciative.

Pardon my off topic rant.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
In this case, I think the fault lies less with Sam Walton than with Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos. The reason we don't have record stores anymore is that people now prefer to buy online (or steal their music online, which was the common practice until a few years ago). But I miss them too.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
DaveHof2 said:
In this case, I think the fault lies less with Sam Walton than with Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos. The reason we don't have record stores anymore is that people now prefer to buy online (or steal their music online, which was the common practice until a few years ago). But I miss them too.
It's not confined to Wal-Mart either, I feel the same about Target. Before I get blasted for being off topic, I want to give one "short" example. I went into target to buy ear buds the other day, and since stores want to be cheap and not adequately staff their stores, I had to take 10 minutes running around the store looking for a worker since their was no staff in the departments anywhere near me. Once I found somebody, I had to wait for them to get keys (which of course they initially had no idea where to find them) to unlock (Cause everybody steals, right?) the cabinet where my 20 dollar ear buds were located. And of course, they couldn't answer any questions about them because they are all floaters who are taught a little about a little. Are you kidding? I remember the days where stores were adequately staffed in most departments and the employees were instructed on the ins and outs of the products in their assigned department so they could help the customer. I have resulted to buying on line as the lesser of two evils.

Seanhtf

Grip
Real Name
Sean O'Malley
That's unfortunate, because at TVShowsOnDVD.com we NEVER cover items which are available only at one brick-and-mortar retailer, at the expense of all the others. If this title becomes available for general release later on, then we will cover it.
I have to count myself among those to whom this policy makes no sense. How is a title being exclusive to a single brick-and-mortar chain one bit different than a title being exclusive to Shout Select, Warner Archive, or Time-Life? Certainly, these releases will be much more widely available and much easier to get than anything from, say, Warner Archive. Walk into any Walmart or Sam's Club and pick them up. Order them from Walmart.com for that matter. If the purpose of your website is to present news of releases of TV shows on DVD and Blu-Ray, then I would be genuinely interested to learn your rationale for withholding news based solely on the fact that a single brick-and-mortar outlet will be selling the series. I've always respected TVShowsOnDVD, and if this policy is somehow rooted in the close relationship the site has with Amazon, I would hope you guys would at least be honest enough to be upfront about that. If it isn't, then I think a lot of us would appreciate the logic behind something that seems truly illogical to most of the rest of us.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
It's not confined to Wal-Mart either, I feel the same about Target. Before I get blasted for being off topic, I want to give one "short" example. I went into target to buy ear buds the other day, and since stores want to be cheap and not adequately staff their stores, I had to take 10 minutes running around the store looking for a worker since their was no staff in the departments anywhere near me. Once I found somebody, I had to wait for them to get keys (which of course they initially had no idea where to find them) to unlock (Cause everybody steals, right?) the cabinet where my 20 dollar ear buds were located. And of course, they couldn't answer any questions about them because they are all floaters who are taught a little about a little. Are you kidding? I remember the days where stores were adequately staffed in most departments and the employees were instructed on the ins and outs of the products in their assigned department so they could help the customer. I have resulted to buying on line as the lesser of two evils.
Totally agreed. I do Walmart ONLY for the bare essentials like washing powder and the like.

My grocery business goes to the local Kroger store. They are ALWAYS adequately staffed and you're never stuck in line behind twenty other people. The employees are always friendly and it seems to be a lot of the same employees month in and month out. One guy has came to know us well enough that if I don't have three teenagers in tow, he'll ask "where's your help today?" It's the kind of service you've came to expect.

I was forced to Walmart one night not too long ago for milk. It was after midnight so Kroger was closed. No real live people working the checkouts, only the self-checkouts. I had to use the stupid self-checkout. Grrr.......

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I wonder why CBS is making this a Walmart exclusive in the first place?
I don't really care as long as the show gets released, but I think they're probably doing it for a good reason.
I think a lot of stores aren't stocking enough classic tv shows because of shelf space. If this product is a Walmart exclusive, then CBS is guaranteed a certain amount of orders and Walmart is guaranteed to get the sales.
This type of exclusive thing may become the wave of the future--especially for older "niche" shows.
If more and more releases come out as "exclusives," maybe TVshows onDVD.com will rethink their policy and cover these products on their website.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Jack P said:

I'm really not a fan of the rural sitcoms, but I will get Petticoat Junction which I liked more than the others. What I think is really interesting though is how both of these seasons are the 1965-1966 season which may hold the record for most titles from a single vintage year with an official DVD release.
You can add one more to your list. HONEY WEST also belongs on there.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And that's one of my favorite shows of the year, so silly me for forgettng it!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rmw650 said:
And maybe because these shows have a rural theme in nature concept and Wal-Mart being associated with the southern folks around the country, could that be another reason why CBS HE decided to make these two specific titles a WM exclusive? I'm just speculating here.
It could be. Whatever was behind their decision, I simply applaud them for bringing us these titles again. Now if they'll complete them along with Barnaby Jones, I'll be in Classic TV Heaven! :lol:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Is there any way to find out from CBS whether the running time in the press release is correct or not? I'm sorry, but I do worry that, for what should be a 34 episode season, we are being given a running time of 11 hours, 27 minutes (or 687 minutes), which gives us an average episode length of just over 20 minutes an episode, when it should be more like 14 and a half hours total for about 25 minutes an episode. Is there any way to determine whether this is a typo from the original press release, or are we otherwise stuck waiting until October 1 to find out?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i like this show in syndication, especially Uncle Joe. Uncle Joe was always scheming!!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Astairefan said:
Is there any way to find out from CBS whether the running time in the press release is correct or not? I'm sorry, but I do worry that, for what should be a 34 episode season, we are being given a running time of 11 hours, 27 minutes (or 687 minutes), which gives us an average episode length of just over 20 minutes an episode, when it should be more like 14 and a half hours total for about 25 minutes an episode. Is there any way to determine whether this is a typo from the original press release, or are we otherwise stuck waiting until October 1 to find out?
The Syndication Bible doesn't show any edited episodes available at all but shows all that's available for distribution is the network versions with a running time of 25 minutes. Going with that, there shouldn't even be edited episodes at all.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Ron1973 said:
The Syndication Bible doesn't show any edited episodes available at all but shows all that's available for distribution is the network versions with a running time of 25 minutes. Going with that, there shouldn't even be edited episodes at all.
...but this is CBS we're talking about. As the last 2 seasons had the double-whammy warning on the back, what were those DVDs like?

Also for the person who mentioned Fox and Green Acres, doesn't MGM have the rights to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks