What's new

CBS Prepares Hawaii 5-0 Comeback (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.accesshollywood.com/hawaii-five-o-hulas-back-to-tv_article_24049

Interesting, that we see a resurgence of comebacks. But Hawaii 5-0? Wow. Let's bring back Gunsmoke ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Did you notice the story said the original show starred Jack Lord, and Danny Williams. Forget James MacArthur, he can just be Dan-O! Bet the story was written by someone who never heard of the show, in the first place.

Might as well call it CSI: Hawaii! Thats what everything else on CBS is called.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER

Might as well call it CSI: Hawaii! Thats what everything else on CBS is called.
I think it'll be closer to CSI than the original Hawaii Five-O.

I haven't seen them but I imagine that the new 90210 and Melrose Place are disimilar enough to their original incarnations that with a few minor changes, they could have been called something else and they would have had no legal problems. It's that they want the name recognition of a show that's already been on.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd rather see a Magnum revival, but that's just not going to work without Selleck. And, I'm sure he's too old for the studio's tastes. Hawaii 5-0, Dallas. It's getting nutty out there. What's next? Falcon Crest?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm trying to think of other old shows I'd like to see make an updated comeback. Quincy MD? I'm trying to think of procedurals or night time soap stuff... LA Law?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
You also have House Creator David Shore doing a new Rockford Files for next fall. When this new Hawaii Five-O was talked about a year or so ago. There was also mention of an updated Streets of San Francisco being in the works. But, I guess nothing has come of that just yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What is interesting is I read about this last August on the Hawaii Five-O website created by HTF member Mike Quigley. He reported that the producer of Criminal Minds, Ed Bernero was very interested in the revival including asking fans for input, IIRC.

I'm surprised that there are new poeple involved in the project now. I guess this is how Hollywood works. I guess since CBS owns the rights, they can assign the project to who they feel will do the job well. I continued to be amazed at how many projects Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci was involved in. They are really lucky or really talented. While I really liked the work they did for Star Trek, I didn't think it was that great. Of course I know certain things are compromised to suit a modern audience.

So it will certainly apply that they'll rethink Hawaii Five-O and alter certain aspects to suit the modern audience. I agree it will be very CSI-like. Can't imagine the Iolani Palace insides looking like the CSI-Miami set. Though the original CSI set is probably a lot more realistic. Though often too dark!

I'm sure they'll maintain that relationship of McGarrett and Williams. How do you re-cast Jack Lord, probably going to be as hard as it was to recast Shatner as Kirk.

I didn't know about a new Rockford FIles, c-mon! You can't recapture that show with out Garner! Same with Magnum, can't do it without Selleck. But I'm sure they will anyway with that goofy Magnum PI movie.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Here are some details of the new NBC Pilot show by "House" writer David Shore which is a remake of James Garner 70's Series "The Rockford Files". Filming begins at the end of February.

STORY LINE
Ex-con-failed-cop-turned-P.I. JAMES ROCKFORD has a situation on his hands when his client is killed and he takes on the widower to protect and find the killer...

[JAMES ROCKFORD] 40ish.. good looking, slightly crumpled, wry humored, cynical, world weary, compassionate when it's called for, easily irritated by morons, Jim Rockwell has a troubled past which includes doing some time as a convict and as a cop, resulting in his now eking out a precarious living as a private investigator. Closest to his dad, Rocky, with some allies in his lawyer/girlfriend Beth and his ex-con buddy Angel, Rockford is reluctant to take on domestic cases...SERIES LEAD (1)

[ROCKY] Late 60s.. affable, trusting, never really got a break in this life and yet that never really upset him, Rocky is Rockford's dad and closest friend. A truck driver for thirty years, Rocky loves his son but is a bit rueful about the choices he's made. Rocky's always happy to help Rockford out in a tough situation, though he tends to offer a commentary that Rockford doesn't always appreciate...SERIES REGULAR (9)

[DENNIS BECKER] 40ish, hard working, decent, and way too naive to be a cop (which he knows about himself and tries to compensate for by appearing jaded), Dennis is a friend of Rockford's who's a bit embarrassed by his friendship, since all the other cops hate Rockford and Dennis would rather not be seen with him...SERIES REGULAR (15)

[LT, DOUG CHAPMAN] Dennis' boss, a bit of a hard ass who sees idiots every day and so assumes we're all idiots, Chapman joins Dennis in bringing Rockford in for questioning about a murder, since his fingerprints were at the scene. Chapman makes no secret of his dislike for Rockford..SERIES REGULAR (20)

[BETH DAVENPORT] In her early 30s, pretty but either doesn't want to show it or doesn't quite know how, a woman who cares about her work but also cares about people, maybe a bit too much of both, Beth is Rockford's competent, on-the-spot attorney, and also his (on-again, off-again?) girlfriend. Perfectly willing to get Rockford out of trouble, Beth makes it clear that just getting called in when Rockford gets arrested--which, admittedly, is a lot--isn't going to satisfy her...SERIES REGULAR/RECURRING ROLE (23)

[ANGEL MARTINEZ] A little younger than Rockford, fast talking, not quite so fast thinking, always looking to work an angle, Angel is a friend and a kind-of little brother to Rockford, and also an ex-con (who's VERY proud of the fact that he was pardoned). Angel is more than happy to do Rockford a favor and winds up in a very dangerous situation. Open to all ethnicities...SERIES REGULAR (34)

[MARTY VAN KLEEK] In his early 50's, balding but trying to hide it, a schlubby guy who apparently has a way with women, vulnerable, a bit pathetic, not great at making snap decisions, Marty is the husband of a wealthy CEO, and is VP of her company. When his wife is killed, he fears he may be next so he hires Rockford to protect him ...GUEST STAR (1)

[SCOTT MOLNAR] 42, corporate looking but fit, confident, an employee at the uniform company, Molnar is Rockford's prime suspect in a murder. Though Molnar feels quite smug in his confidence that he's untouchable by the police, he does eventually come clean about what he's done...GUEST STAR (39)

[JANET TREMBLAY] In her mid 30s, attractive, too attractive for Marty, with whom she's having an affair and for whom she genuinely cares, Janet bravely and loyally stands by Marty when he goes to Rockford for protection in the aftermath of his wife's murder. Unfazed by the mess Marty has gotten her into, Janet, to Marty's surprise, remains with him even after he learns that he hasn't inherited a penny from his dead wife's company...GUEST STAR (1)

[CAROLE MITCHELL] In her late 40s, capable, smart, carries herself like the CEO she is, Carole runs a very successful uniform company, and she hires Rockford to investigate a case and is furious when the truth is revealed ..sptv050769.1 large scene (7)

[CARL] The attendant at a car rental company, slightly overwhelmed by his job, not the brightest tool in the trunk, Carl is amazed when Rockford brings back his third car that week with a serious dent...1 scene (35)

[RECEPTIONIST] This receptionist at the uniform company is confused by Rockford's deliberately confusing explanation of who he is and why he's there, and winds up letting him in to the otherwise protected office...8 lines, 1 scene (37)
Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/search/label/Pilot%20Shows#ixzz0daoAoeNr

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was never into "Hawaii 5-0", but he'd be a terrible Jim Rockford. Whoever takes over the role has to have James Garner's charisma and likability. Matt Dillon has neither. I'm picturing someone like Bryan Cranston, Bruce Campbell, or Nathan Fillion. Unfortunately, they're all hitched to shows already. The only thing that Dillon has going for him is that he's not a pretty boy. Whoever plays Rockford has to be a little gone to seed.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If he's doing TV now, he ought to guest on Chuck along with the guy who played Mike. And maybe Chris Makepeace.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You gotta be kidding me! Remake The Rockford Files? This show and Hawaii Five-0 are so iconic.

And they stopped making the Firebird! Well, KITT is out of a job, maybe Rockford can drive a Mustang. Oh wait, Spencer for Hire drove a Mustang, so they'll have to use one for that remake.

I don't know about this. I really liked the originals. So new versions will likely be total reboots to work. But I think it's a dubious idea.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Pretty pathetic that creators and writers these days can't come up with an original idea for a new show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

Pretty pathetic that creators and writers these days can't come up with an original idea for a new show.
I think alot more of the blame should be on the networks for being too scared to put something new on. A network could talk to nearly any writer, actor or waiter in Los Angeles and they'd probably get a pitch for a new TV show. While most would be crap, a couple of them have to be good but they just stick with something that has some type of brand recognition because their jobs on their line and they need immediate high ratings.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize the level of people involved in this Hawaii Five-0 remake. Not that these guys are giants, but Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci of Lost and the films, Mission: Impossible 3, Transformers and Star Trek, etc.

I think they are producing. They're really stretching themselves thin!

I've read that they've been casting. Alex O'Loughlin has been considered for McGarrett, but not cast. Not sure if that's already been mentioned above. And they have have cast Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly. I guess he can stay in Hawaii now that Lost is over.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It is official now... Alex O' Loughlin has been cast as McGarrett. I am not too familier with this chap. Is he any good ? I assume the previously rumored Matt Dillon was looking more at Jim Rockford.

Link

Alex O'Loughlin will be taking the role of Detective Steve McGarrett, originally played by Jack Lord. The Three Rivers and Moonlight star joins Lost's Daniel Dae Kim, who has already been cast as Detective Chin Ho Kelly. As you might recall, Hawaii Five-o was "a special state police unit answering only to the Governor of Hawaii. It worked with Honolulu police to fight the underworld in the island state. Sooner or later virtually all the badguys heard Steve McGarrett grunt 'Book 'em, Danno!'" No word yet on whether "Book 'em, Dano »

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks