CAV Q-3B Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rowan Oz, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Rowan Oz

Rowan Oz Auditioning

Hello everyone. I’m new around here, so I hope you all can help me out.

I have just bought a subwoofer from an online auction site (Graysonline.com.au) and was wondering if anyone knows or have this model/brand? It’s a CAV Q-3B subwoofer. On the site it says it retails for $AUD1400 / $USD1042, but I paid $AUD329 / $USD244, so I think I have found an ok bargain. [​IMG]

The spec's are: BRAND NEW CAV Q-3B ACTIVE SUBWOOFER, ORP $1,400.00(AUD), FEATURES: DRIVE UNITS: 1X8 ALUMINUM WOOFER, SENSITIVITY: 85 DB, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 OHMS, POWER HANDLING: 100W (RMS), FREQ. RESPONSE: 25HZ-200HZ, DIMENSIONS: H250XW440XD350MM.

Is these spec's ok for a subwoofer in its class, or will it be too small for most lounge rooms?

To view the subwoofer its at graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=665194

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Sorry, I've never heard of that brand before. Have you tried Googling it?

3. Rowan Oz

Rowan Oz Auditioning

Yeah, but its an chinese brand, that exports to the rest of the world. I think its mostly sold in Europe. I know its not going to be anything flash, but going by the spec's: CAV Q-3B ACTIVE SUBWOOFER, ORP $1,400.00(AUD), FEATURES: DRIVE UNITS: 1X8 ALUMINUM WOOFER, SENSITIVITY: 85 DB, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 OHMS, POWER HANDLING: 100W (RMS), FREQ. RESPONSE: 25HZ-200HZ, DIMENSIONS: H250XW440XD350MM.

Is this worth $AUD329 / $USD244 ?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't know what exactly is in the market in Australia, but from the size of the enclosure, power handling and size of drive I'd personally say no. Especially from North American standards. I'd call the list price outrageous and the price you've found high.

5. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

6. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

It's probably OK for the money, but not much better than that. You're definitely NOT getting 25 Hz at -3 db, or probably -10 db for that matter.

By comparison, my Orb Audio sub with an 8" driver does 28 Hz at -4 db and cost me $333 including shipping and CA tax.

7. Rowan Oz

Rowan Oz Auditioning

Yeah its a crap sub and im going to get my money back.

8. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Must say, it looks darn cool though! And it might sound OK; impossible to tell without hooking it up and listening to it.