What's new

Caution: HDMI 1.3 - one chip is obsolete and one has Advanced audio capability. (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Support for the latest high-quality audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

June 1, 2007 updated information Per (dr1394 -CE Insider and Compression engineer):
Link

The Si9133 (Receiver chip), is being replaced with the Si9135 (Receiver chip), which is High Bitrate Audio Capable.
The obsolete Si9133, "advanced dual-input HDMI receiver chip" will only enable HDTVs to display Deep color.

For Advanced audio bitstream transmission, you will need both the Si9134 & Si9135 chips in your system.
The Si9134 chip for transmission of the bitstream output of the Blu-ray/HD DVD player and the Si9135 chip to receive the bitstream and process the High Bitrate Audio in your receiver/processor.
Link

Paul

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my french, but fuck HDMI and their constant revisions, incompatibilities, handshaking (or lack there of), sparkles, disconnects, and every other inconvenience it has caused. I thought the whole point was to have one common connection standard for both video and audio, but with the number of variations that HDMI has created, I would much prefer the old 2 cable approach. At least they always worked.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
How does this affect the Si9132 chip in the PS3? Can anybody confirm whether or not it has the same functionality as the Si9134 to output DD TrueHD and DTS-HD MA (assuming we ever get a firmware update to allow bitstream out - and no, I am not concerned here with in-player decoding to LPCM)?

Also, does anybody know what HDMI 1.3 chipset the Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver has? Thanks.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Link[/u] - Keep in mind that paidgeek is a Sony Pictures (BD Insider) and doesn't refute what Amir posted two posts earlier in the same AVS thread - (Referring to PS3 not supporting advanced codec bitstreams in Amir's quote above).

Paul

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Paul, thanks for the quotes. These quotes point out why we can not fully rely on company spokesmen for information. Both quotes from Amirm and Paidgeek are factorially right, but are both wrong, as they supply only part of the facts.

The fact is the PS3 should be able to support the decoded lossless audio tracks as PCM, and the fact is that the PS3 can not pass non-decoded lossless tracks. Interesting how these spokemen can pick and choose the facts they want to make a point, while missing the full picture.

Again, thanks for the quotes.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Now if we can only get the PS3 to decode DTS-HD MA. Patiently waiting for firmware update Sony. :)

HDMI as a whole still pisses me off though. ;)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Without addressing a complete inability to pass the codec, paidgeek had been suggesting for some time that internal decoding was the best solution for the PS3. Whenever the issue came up. Looking back I guess one could say it was a soft denial of the passthrough ability.

Well, more and more people seem to indicate receiver decoding might not be viable for that many titles anyway (which makes you wonder about the HDMI 1.3 hubbub and the receivers with that capability) if indeed most titles will be authored in "advanced" mode, so I hope we'll see some players with decoding in the near future.

It seems to be coming to fruition rather quickly that the PS3 will be one of the more expensive HD solutions; so hopefully, DTS-HD decoding will come to fruition as well.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
More information regarding the possibility (if any) of a tranmission of a DTS-HD MA bitstream from the PS3, explained by "FilmMixer", a Film Sound and Post Production Insider & Re-Recording Mixer in Studio City, CA.
Link

Paul

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is the kind of thing that takes the fun right out of this hobby. This is an interesting thread, but I think it would be more pratical if someone could match up all the HDMI 1.3 BD/HD DVD players and receivers with these chips mentioned. I guess that would be a lot of work though.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Does any current player have the DTS logos? I have not really looked.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Not to be flippant, but I don't put much stock in logos. No one's even proven the whole royalties issue thing. And if blu-ray takes off, I'm sure Sony could pony up any additional licensing fee.

My god, if they put all those DTS logos on a player it would look like NASCAR.

There was talk that some early Japanese units actually had the DTS HD logos (mine just has a "dts digital surround" logo. Maybe they just couldn't get the code written fast enough.

Didn't take too long to deliver upscaling and 24fps though, so I'm still hopeful for a decoding solution.

If DTS-HD MA is THAT intensive, I wonder if they'll have to come up with some kind of solution that automatically makes the player drop down to the DTS core when enabling HD PIP content. I know some have expressed doubt whether the PS3 could handle the lossless audio AND PIP, but this seems like a scenario when that core could come in handy. Do you really need lossless audio when the filmmakers are talking over the film anyway?

Reading between the lines in following the PS3 and the DTS-HD MA, it looks to me like Sony (and perhaps Blu-ray in general) is more concerned with player decoding. When I first read about player-side decoding being necessary for player sounds, etc., I didn't think that sounded very important, but now I realize that it would be for interactive content. Transmitting just the raw bitstream of one soundtrack might not be that helpful.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I think most people knew it couldn't right now (no other player can either). The question is if it's a permanent can't or if the condition is firmware upgreadable.

The fact only us peons ever seemed to think "well, that should be an easy fix" and the insiders have been mum (aside from saying "internal decoding would be best") inclines me to think the silicon may be the limiting factor in passthrough ability. And if "9134 and higher" is to be believed.

Glenise

Supporting Actor

I'm still using old school equipment so I prefer the 2 cable approach.
Why can't Toshiba include two HDMI outputs so that I could run HDMI cable #1 to my projector for video and HDMI cable #2 to my receiver for audio?
I would rather do a straight connection to connection instead of relying on a receiver to do the HDMI switching for me.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
all I can say is...this is freakin annoying. the audio hobby is now fully converted to the land of computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks