What's new

Cats & Dogs...All I saw was FULL SCREEN!.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I understand Robert George's explaination and I don't think it is some sort of conspiracy. All I am saying is that I hope Warner takes into account that the widescreen was not available in the intial rush to pick up the disc. And that most people at the various retail outlets had no idea of any other release.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I called every store in town, and all fullscreen. No big deal though... I'll wait for OAR.
The girl at my local Suncoast is warning everyone who pre-ordered C&D that there will be a widescreen version within two weeks... God bless her!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I wonder if distribution of this title is different in Canada because I just came back from Futureshop and they had lots of both the widescreen and full screen versions of Cats & Dogs. Now if Futureshop can get it right then I can't see why the big B&M's down in the lower 48 can't.
P.S., I did not buy either. Just picked up my Star Wars and Fawlty Towers.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Patrick,
I was just at Futureshop on West Broadway and all I saw was the Full Frame ones. I wasn't going to pick it up but I was interested in if they had it.
Which FS did you go to?
M.

Roger Bijou

Auditioning
todd s,
"....I hope Warner takes into account that the widescreen was not available in the initial rush to pick up the disc. And that most people at the various retail outlets had no idea of any other release."
Oh, they will take it into account. Their BANK account. As with Willy Wonka they hope people will buy the immediately available P&S version and are counting on some of them to buy the OAR version as well.
------------------
Link Removed

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I was at the Coquitlam one on Pinetree. I saw this post earlier in the day and checked even though I didn't want this title. They were placed on shelves one above the other with the widescreen on the upper shelf. Lots of them there but no Criterion Notorious (piss me off).
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
My local Best Buy only had the full screen version, as well. One of the guys looked in the computer and found only 1 Cats & Dogs. He said that meant there was no widescreen on order.
frown.gif

------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Same here, only PAN & SCAM at Best Buy and Costco. The good news (i hope) is that Costco beat Best Buy's 'sale' price of 17.99. If there is a big delay, the Best Buy sale will be over but you can still get it next week at Costco for 17.49!
A good question for tonight is to bring up the fact that most people aren't 'widescreen' aware so the sales figures for the P&S will be skewed when the widescreen comes out. Warner probably already knows this but will they really care?
[Edited last by Jim Benard on October 16, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I visited the following stores this morning:
2 Best Buy
2 Toys R Us
Circuit City
Sam's Club
Target
Wal*Mart
Costco
Suncoast
None of them had widescreen Cats & Dogs. None of them had Thumb Wars. None of them had Star Woids...
All I ended up with was a free Star Wars CD-ROM from Best Buy and a Star Wars Epidode I DVD button from Suncoast.

David Chisholm

Auditioning
I popped into Future Shop during my lunch hour to buy the
Phantom Menace. After grabbing my copy I checked around for
Cats & Dogs and same thing could only find 30 or 40 full
frame copies.
Dave

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster strikes again. A gazillion copies, all full frame. Sigh. The end is near, my OAR-loving friends. I have a feeling that WB is gonna get an earful tonight. Wish I could be there.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mark,
I find that if you don't see it at FS you should ask someone in the department because I've found that some of them just aren't in the right place. For instance, when 61* first came out it wasn't on the new release area and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I went back a couple of days later and the same thing then I asked and they had it but not where I would find it.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, so I went to my Circuit City...only FULL FRAME...
I went to FYI...again only FULL FRAME...
difference between the stores? For a place that focuses more on movies than CC does, I gave out a big "UGH!" in FYI and everyone looked at me :) hehe.
I told one of my friends who works @ CC to complain about the non-widescreen issue.
WB: You screwed up once again (if the reason was anything BUT not having enough made)
------------------
"I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
"You can put it anywhere"
"Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

CraigR

Agent
I noticed in buying my copy of TPM that all the Cats & Dogs disks were full frame. Asked one of the blue shirts if they had any widescreen editions and he immediately said "No, we didn't get any and I don't know when we will get some." I did not buy the full frame version. Obi is probably right that we won't see this for a week or two down the road.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Both Best Buy and Walmart (I was desperate) told me "There is no widescreen version" - and indeed - there isn't one in their computers. They also told me that Toys is not out on DVD. I'm VERY irritated. Chalk up another win for the pan and scan crowd. I'm about to go back to click & ship.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Hey guys. Just to let you know I recieved my widescreen version of Cats & Dogs over the weekend from Laser's Edge. http://www.Lasersedge.com
Give them a call they should have some in stock.
BTW, I thought the transfer was great, a very good looking disc.
------------------
Anime:
Cheaper than crack and a hell of a lot more addictive.
My addiction

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I might be doing Laser's Edge.
I called Wal-Mart for the price of TPM ($22.99, btw), and asked about C&D. FF only.
I went to Best Buy to pick up TPM at lunch ($17.99, got the free demo PC games disc), and saw only FF C&D. Asked for WS and was told by an employee who had knowledge of it that they only got FF. He said, "Don't worry, we'll get it soon". Paid for TPM, asked the yellow-shirt at the door could I get a raincheck for WS C&D at the sale price. He buzzed the 1st dude to write it up and bring it to me at the door. Waited 5 minutes, then dude buzzed back and said he could not, because it wasn't in the computer system.
Target: FF only.
FYE: FF only.
Suncoast: Assured me that no WS version was forthcoming. Assured him he was wrong, pointed him to websites that showed the box, and explained to him I was with HTF and the Wonka petition thing, and he and the female teeny-bopper coworker had heard about that. He congratulated us. I said yeah, but C&D was gonna be WS, too, and on the same street date as the FF. His reply? "Looks like they took you, man".
Yeah.
Chat...soon.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks