What's new

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only) (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I want my WATERWORLD on BD!!! :D :P
Seriously, thanks for putting up that list. Didn't realize how many HD-DVDs Uni had released that I would buy in a heartbeat on BD. That said, I'd rather have them "do it right" then just do a quick port. If the transfers on HD-DVD were stellar, then go ahead and recycle the A/V transfer. If not, then please go back and re-do it rather than give us a sub-par (by HD standards) transfer.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Jesse Blacklow said:
In what world can an average increase of 157% in the number of releases--with most months seeing a doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling of year-to-year figures--be considered a "slowdown of releases across all of the studios" and "no apparent rush to get as many titles out"?!
You are quite right; and I notice that for the rest of the year, I have at least one BR on my list to get per week; usually more like 3 per week. And this is WITHOUT the huge number of catalog titles I'd buy if they were offered.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I keep wondering what happened with "The Kite Runner." Paramount announced it for HD-DVD earlier this year, then . . . it just kind of went away. I always assumed it was released on the format, but I can't turn up any reviews for it. The cover art is on this page.
Does it count as a Blu-ray "catch-up" title (since an HD transfer was undoubtedly off to the presses when Paramount/DreamWorks went exclusively Blu)? I love this film and keep hoping it'll be released soon. Perhaps to tie in with the Blu-ray release of "Quantum of Solace"? They're pretty different films though.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
There were a handful of released Paramount canceled at the last minute when they switched from HD-DVD to Blu-ray earlier this year. If it never got officially released I haven't included it on this list.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The following were released 11/25 and have been removed:
Jarhead
The Kingdom
Added dates - Universal will release the following on 2/10/09:
Doom
The Rundown

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I second the thanks for your compiling this list, Brandon. Nice way to see info I'm variously aware of all in one place.

Recently rejoined Bbuster Online to rent the dozen or so HD DVD exclusives I'm interested in, don't own and think will get to BD later rather than sooner.

Spun THE RIVER (1984) last night. Vilmos Zsigmond's (Oscar nommed) lensing of course helps, but it's a handsome transfer. Especially poignant, in these economic times, to have watched that on the heels of CINDERELLA MAN.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
PaulDA said:
I suspect some of the catalogue titles like Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty may take a while.
This is why I'm purchasing some HD-DVD titles like "Grand Prix" real cheaply to tide me over until hopefully better versions appear on BD. (Bought a HD-DVD Player a year ago 1 week before HD-DVD gave up the Ghost!)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I got mine last Christmas (wanted to see if HDM was really "worth it" and HD DVD was the cheaper option--I've since added a second player that is currently hooked up to an SD TV and serves as that TV's movie player--and it's a back up). I have about 120 HD DVDs, all the ones I wanted (at the barn burning prices I paid for most of them, and with two machines, I know I'll get my money's worth). For me, it's about the films, not the format (as a veteran of the DVD-A/SACD format "war"--I've long accepted that I need to be "flexible" when it comes to formats).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I certainly hope if Warners rereleases Excalibur, they finally get the framing right. The last time it was framed properly was the Laserdisc version. The DVD and HD-DVD releases look like they zoomed into the pic on all sides and it appears horribly cropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks