What's new

Castle season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The studio where the Nikki Heat movie being shot is actually the studio where "Castle" is filmed. When Beckett is shaking hands with Tony, you can see the set of the plane Castle and Beckett flew to L.A. in sitting in the background.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow were there sone great monologues tonight. Castle's monologue to Kate and captains monologue were both great stuff. And wow that was a major, major character twist right out of left field.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I knew a series regular was going to die, and I knew a series regular was involved in the conspiracy surrounding Beckett's mother's murder. For reasons of story economy, I figured they'd be killing off the traitor. Of all the series regulars, the Captain is the least essential to the formula, so I figured it'd be him. When he told Castle he met Beckett while in the records room to check on a few old files, I knew he was the third cop. I liked the way they handled it though; instead of making everything we knew about the Captain be a lie, they made everything we knew about the Captain be the truth -- built on top of this really big lie. And he went out nobly. Beckett certainly wants to protect his reputation, but the package Montgomery mailed out tells me someone is going to find the truth soon. Either it's going to show up on Beckett's doorstep, or it's going to the media. Either way, I'm guessing that this is going to surface quite early in season three.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't always know the behind the scenes stuff, and I'm glad to avoid these kinds of spoiler -rific news. So I didn't know a character was dying tonight. That was a real surprise! And twist on top. Obviously Kate's not dying and I thought; it's about time Castle! You finally told her! Sad to see Montgomery go. I'm sure the actor is too or did he want to go?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
More likely he mailed the files to Castle than Beckett; he doesn't want her going after the Big Bad.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Castle told her, but the way the show has played with things, it wouldn't surprise me if she doesn't remember it when she wakes up, and that he lets it go at that. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me. I also didn't know any spoilers going in (even something so generic as "someone will die") and I'm glad for that. And finally, I have to agree about the way the captain's reveal was handled.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did some reading on some blogs for Castle, didn't realize the show has such a strong following. But I can see that, the show has a fun flavor and people are responding to the romance on and off between the leads and the fun cases.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was a good recap so I could be sure I understood all the background stuff that made Montgomery a dirty cop. I think I got it.

Interesting to read some guesses as to what will happen next year. For example, one person thought Beckett was probably wearing a vest. Though there is blood, perhaps it's a flesh wound and the impact was painful enough to make her pass out.

And then one person said the writer of this episode writes the best ones. In looking at wikipedia, he has written most if not all the ones about Beckett's mother and they are the darker more serious ones. He's going off onto screenwriting for features, so that will be a missing element next year.

Then I found a review of this finale on Screen rant. He felt the seriousness and darkness of this finale didn't fit the tone of the show and was too jarring.

I have to disagree and I always like the change in tone occasionally and let these actors play for real and for higher stakes.

For next season, I think they can't turn back, the Love word was said and they will have to address it. Everyone around them has said so. Will Beckett be promoted and made Captain? Because if they get a new Captain in, he'll be just another extra character that will go under-used. On the other hand, Beckett is a detective, and that's where she has to be.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
For example, one person thought Beckett was probably wearing a vest.

Maybe, but most vests, even with ceramic hard plates, won't stop a high-powered rifle round. And Castle saw the reflection off a scope from a good distance away. That was a sniper shot with a serious weapon - although not a 50 cal. (A bullet from one of those would have made a much larger set of holes, and would probably still be going.)

I'm guessing a combination of a good vest mitigating the impact of the bullet and a lucky wound location will let Beckett live. And I agree that she'll either forget what Castle said or pretend to forget it. But it will still affect their relationship. And she'll find a way to dump the doc freeing herself up for what might happen down the line. (Say a season or two hence.)

Regards,

Joe

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Will Beckett be promoted and made Captain?

Has it ever been established what Beckett's rank is? She is clearly first amongst equals in that she tell Ryan and Esposito what to do but they never call her sergeant or lieutenant.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Has it ever been established what Beckett's rank is?

In the NYPD detectives hold the same rank as patrolmen. There's no such thing as a "detective lieutenant" or "detective sergeant" as on other forces. Nor could Beckett simply be promoted and put in charge of the squad as Captain. Admission to rank above detective/patrolman is by competitive civil service examination. Periodically "X" number of candidates are allowed to sit the exam for "Y" number of open slots in the rank of sergeant, lieutenant and captain. Only current sergeants can test for lieutenant, and only lieutenants can take the captain's test, and then only after a given amount of time and satisfactory performance reviews at the current rank. Those who pass the exam then go through a screening and interview process. Some choose not to pursue the promotion. Ranks sergeant and above are bosses, and they occupy administrative and supervisory slots, either in uniform or in plain clothes depending on where they are assigned. As supervisors they do progressively less front line work as they move up in rank. (Every interview for lieutenant candidates contains some variant on the same trick question: The candidate is presented with a complicated scenario involving a hostage taking or bomb threat involving an entire city block and many personnel, vehicles and pieces of equipment. The prospective lieutenant is asked what orders he or she would give to secure the block. Many of them fall into the trap of explaining where they would site the command post, place the reserves, deploy tear gas launchers, etc.. In short, all the orders they would give as sergeants, because they're still thinking as sergeants. A lieutenant would give only one order, "Sergeant, secure the block" and then concentrate on the big picture.) So Beckett can't replace Montgomery. At a minimum she'd have to become a lieutenant to become boss of a detective squad. (On NYPD Blue the Chief of Detectives made an exception to the rule when he put Sgt. Andy Sipowicz in command of the detectives of the 15th precinct, and his action became a plot point in the story.) And to do that she'd have to first become a sergeant and then spend some time at that rank. (Which would probably take her out of the detective division and put her back in uniform.) Besides, it wouldn't work dramatically. As we saw with Montgomery, the commander is not a street cop. Unless we want to see Castle sitting around in Beckett's office getting her coffee and sharpening her pencils while she does paperwork all day, or driving her down to One Police Plaza for regular CompStat meetings, we shouldn't wish for that, either. ;-)
Regards,
Joe

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I've thought for some time they've been moving towards romance between the too leads too soon. When Becket and Castle become a couple that will change the dynamic of the show, then after a while they'll have to split them up, and then bring them back together. I've seen this story arc in previous series and it has gotten tedious. Better to keep Castle as the guy "pulling on her pigtails" as Becket once said, and yearning for her in secret for at least a couple more seasons (counting this one). Just MHO.

As for Montgomery being under-used, I thought he was a well-established, and very likable character. I think the producers have done a good job of backing up the two leads with more than just card board cutouts. Even the least used, the ME is well done.

BTW, has Castle been green lighted for next season?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I've thought for some time they've been moving towards romance between the too leads too soon. When Becket and Castle become a couple that will change the dynamic of the show, then after a while they'll have to split them up, and then bring them back together. I've seen this story arc in previous series and it has gotten tedious. Better to keep Castle as the guy "pulling on her pigtails" as Becket once said, and yearning for her in secret for at least a couple more seasons (counting this one). Just MHO.

As for Montgomery being under-used, I thought he was a well-established, and very likable character. I think the producers have done a good job of backing up the two leads with more than just card board cutouts. Even the least used, the ME is well done.

BTW, has Castle been green lighted for next season?

Oh, yes, it was renewed several weeks ago.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I agree. As for Montgomery being "under-used" - I don't know what to do with that criticism. Montgomery occupied the slot of "Homicide commander" in a police procedural. That slot, by definition, is not a major role in such a show. The unit commander is not a street cop, does not get out in the field much if at all, and every minute devoted to him (or her) is a minute not devoted to the series leads or the immediate supporting characters. It is like saying that Adam Schiff or Arthur Branch were under-used on Law & Order. The District Attorney isn't the focus of that series - the cops and the ADAs are. The DA serves to advise and assist the other characters, and sometimes to throw up by-the-books roadblocks to complicate their lives. The captain on Castle (whoever the character happens to be) is also going to be under-used, because that position is not as central to the stories as the other detectives or even the coroner. Add in the fact that on this show Castle's home life is second only to the murder of the week, and the amount of screen time the necessarily peripheral role of "tough-but-fair boss" gets has to be small.

Regards,

Joe

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
What's Dennis Franz doing? Loved to see him Back on tv. Captain Andy Sipowicz Maybe?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've finally caught up with the end of the season. What a finale. In thinking about Beckett probably wearing a vest at the end, I have to wonder why Montgomery wasn't wearing one when he died. He knew he was going into a shoot-out. A vest or not he knew he was probably going to die (and thus with him dead there would be no reason for his family to be targeted), he would have wanted to buy more time for himself to ensure that he got everyone going after him at the hanger.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Montgomery was thinking tactically or with any sense of self-preservation. To him, sacrificing himself was atonement for his sins. In a sense, once the other options were stripped away he felt he deserved to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks