What's new

Directors cast & crew draft (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The idea here is that you're the producer, and you're going to draft various cast & crew members and we'll see who'll make the best movie. :)

Each round we'll draft something different: director, cinematographer, screenwriter, lead actor, lead actress, supporting actor, supporting actress and character actor/actress. I realize there are other things we could draft, but after Edith Head how many well known costume designers are there? :)

There'll be 8 rounds and 16 participants. The draft order will be different than usual, in order to be fair. (I explain it in more detail once we start).

Now, before you join, please read the following rules. These are designed to make sure that this draft moves at a pleasant rate and is fun for all involved. If you don't like these rules, please don't join.

1. You have 12 hours to make your selection after the person ahead of you picks.

2. You can (and are strongly encouraged to) send me a private message with your picks if you know you are going to be out of HTF land for a while (this tournament does not stop for weekends, so if you don't check in on the weekend, you need to pm me your picks).

3. If your 12 hours have passed you will be skipped. You can make your selection at any time after that.

4. If your miss your turn, and you haven't sent me a pm for that round, your time will be reduced by 2 hours for future rounds. This is NOT to punish you, it's just that it seems the same people miss their timelines round after round and don't pm any choices, and this way the draft keeps on moving at a reasonable rate.

If those rules don't faze you and you'd like to play, start signing up.

The contestants:

George Kaplan
Jan H
Gabe D
Angelo.M
SteveGon
Lew Crippen
ChuckDeLa
Chris Richard
ErikG
Cary T
John Dhein
Jeff Gross
Steeve Bergeron
Justin Doring
Vickie_M
John Kilduff

Taken:

Director:

Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick
Steven Spielberg
Akira Kurosawa
Sam Peckinpah
Luis Buñuel
Ingmar Bergman
Martin Scorsese
Oliver Stone
James Cameron
Woody Allen
Quentin Tarantino
Francois Truffaut
The Coen Brothers
Walter Hill

Composer:

Bermard Herrmann
Henry Mancini
Elmer Bernstein
Nino Rota
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
John Williams
Vangelis
Miklós Rózsa
Carter Burwell

Cinematographer:

Robert Burks
John Alcott
Janusz Kaminski
Nestor Almendros
Raoul Coutard
Jack Cardiff
James Wong Howe
Robert Surtees
Conrad L. Hall
Joseph Ruttenberg
Andrew Lesnie
Stanley Cortez
Roger Deakins

Screenwriter:

Orson Welles
Charlie Kaufman
David Mamet
Elmore Leonard
Pedro Almodóvar
Akira Kurosawa
Ben Hecht
Quentin Tarantino
Woody Allen
Francis Ford Coppola
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Steven E. DeSouza

Actor:

Marlon Brando
Bill Murray
Tony Leung
Clint Eastwood
Marcello Mastroianni
Denzel Washington
Humphrey Bogart
Robert DeNiro
Toshiro Mifune
Errol Flynn
Cary Grant
Russell Crowe
Will Smith
Bruce Willis
Robert Duvall
Johnny Depp
Woody Allen
Jimmy Stewart
Taye Diggs
Harry Dean Stanton

Actress:

Grace Kelly
Gong Li
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Jennifer Connelly
Juliette Binoche
Marilyn Monroe
Vivien Leigh
Ingrid Bergman
Queen Latifah
Heather Locklear
Meg Ryan
Gwyneth Paltrow
Audrey Hepburn
Jami Gertz

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Unusual idea. With only 8 of each category, everyone's list should be mighty impressive. The voting stage will be tough!

Anyhoo, count me in.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just so there's no confusion, there are 16 people picking in 8 categories.

And I've decided to make a small modification to the actor categories. Basically, you still pick 2 actors and 2 actresses, but instead of having to put one of each above the title, you can put two actors or two actresses above the title if you want.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
As an example of what a finished film might look like :) :

[c]George Kaplan[/c]

[c]Presents[/c]

[c]Errol Flynn and Gwyneth Paltrow[/c]

[c]in[/c]

[c]Stanley Kubrick's[/c]

[c]Blue Mucus[/c]

[c]co-starring[/c]

[c]Doris Day and Steve McQueen[/c]

[c]with[/c]

[c]Jonathan Winters as Shorty[/c]

[c]Written by Woody Allen[/c]

[c]Cinematography by Asakazu Nakai[/c]

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
George,

I don't think I'm enough of a film buff to participate, but, I have a suggestion to make it even more interesting. Let people pick the different catergories when ever they want. If someone thinks the cinematographer is more important than the director, let them pick that way. Plus, more people might get their first overall pick that way.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I considered that, but am currently leaning against it. For one thing it makes it much more difficult for me to keep track of whose picked what. And I think it's going to be confusing enough with the modified picking order each time. I'd like to keep some of it pretty simple and straightforward. But I'm still thinking on it.

Currently in:

George Kaplan
Jan H
Gabe D
Angelo.M
SteveGon
Lew Crippen
ChuckDeLa
Chris Richard

8 slots filled, 8 still open

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
4 slots left.

BTW, just some more clarification. An actor can only appear in one of the slots (if you take Woody Allen as actor 1, he can't be someone else's actor 2 or character actor). However, a person can be both an actor and director and screenwriter. So if Woody was my director, someone else could take him as an actor, and I could also take him as my screenwriter. Hope that's clear.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm in!

May I be so bold as to suggest that we eliminate "character actor/actress" and add "composer?" After all, there are more than a few film score fans on this forum, and five actor categories out of eight seems a bit excessive in my opinion.

By the way, what a great and original idea for a tournament, George! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks