What's new

Cashier at Best Buy stuck it to me today... (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was deciding between a PS2 and an XBox and wound up returning the PS2 to BB, where I bought it. The customer service person just hanging out, not the one actually helping me, started to question my decision when I mentioned I preferred the XBox. I didn't even say that it was better, just that it was MY PREFERENCE. It became clear why she was questioning my decision when she said she has a PS2 herself. I just stopped talking to her once it became clear she was just out to justify her own expense. I kind of wish I had laid into her, but I think it was clear to anyone around she was acting like an idiot.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

I have always hated (hate, hate, hated) this way of salespeople to break the ice with a customer. If I want a conversation, I'll go talk to a friend. If I want conversation from a total stranger, I'll head down to where the panhandlers hang out. If I need help, I'll come ask you for help, or try to catch your eye if you're with another customer. Otherwise, let me shop in peace without having to make smalltalk with every sales representative in the store. There was one clothing store in the town I used to live that I would never go into just because of this, and I liked their clothes.

Oops, rant over.:b

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm fine with the first one or two that ask "May I help you"? But after the fourth or fifth asks, I start to feel like I'm being stalked/harassed and become a bit irritated. And if you want to make some positive, inoffensive comment about my selection, OK. But if you make some negative comment, or get all moralistic, that's my license to hand you your ass.

If staff is available and visible within that section, then the customers can ask if they want help. Otherwise, don't irritate them by asking them the same question repeatedly.

And, at least at Best Buy, it's not just the cashier/floor staff that give problems. I went through three levels of management at one store trying to solve a problem one time and each was as purposely unhelpful as the last. Rather than asking for the fourth level, I just left the store and went across the street to Circuit City which was much more pleasant.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, gotta jump in here... Two quick things...

#1 - My local BBuy, like most every single other retail place out there, has great employees who are knowledgeable and care about the customer. They also have people with jobs they could care less about, because Mom doesn't feel like paying their cell phone bill so they have to stand around somewhere to earn some money. These people don't care about this job, or any customer's satisfaction...

I've been treated downright crappy a couple times at this BBuy, but there are two people in there, Eric and Trisha, who are occasionally in the DVD section, who really know their stuff... Not having to explain 'anamorphic' to someone in a blue and yellow shirt is wonderful. :)

You get all types, but I have gone back repeatedly, knowing it's gonna be hit or miss on my treatment, just like everywehre else.

#2 - On Friday, I did go to BBuy and nearly pitched a fit. (this is all venting now) They had a box set of 3 DVDs with BBC documentaries on Bible/Holy Land mysteries for $31.99... Not bad... Then, directly next to this set were the three individual disks for $9.99 apiece... Ummm... Well, I went to the front and asked about this...

Basicly, if I want to purchase all three of these DVDs (read: Give you more money), why should I actually be penalized into paying MORE than if I were to purchase individually? So, basicly, I was asking them to price match themselves, and sell the box set for the same price as the individual releases...

It didn't go well.

After explaining my questions, I was told point blank at the customer service counter, "well, you're just gonna have to pay 2 bucks for the box"... BS!!!! I went off! I've spent TONS there in the last year I've lived here (around $160 in RewardZone certificates) and couldn't believe this one... Talked to the manager then and told him I'd never be shopping there again - Wrote a letter this week, took it to them as well as sent it to the offices...

Yeah, it's only $2, but it's the whole idea of being screwed over like this again that annoys me... I'm sticking to CCity and Borders (for the PBS docs) from now on...

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I certainly wouldn't get defensive. Stupid people stories are funny regardless of if they're doing the buying or selling. I'd love to read a thread about stupid customers. In fact, I believe I've seen one or two already.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Would you change your mind if the salesperson were an attractive blonde (which describes my friend I mentioned)? :)

Page

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. And they ain't too swift in the Orange County area, either.

My nephew used to work at a Best Buy on the East Coast and the guy proved himself hopeless when it came to electronics. He broke my DVD player because he didn't know to operate it correctly and didn't know the difference between the anamorphic version and a full screen version of a film. (And, yes, he worked in electronics.)

Not trying to stick it to the Best Buy employees, but I think this thread is pointing up that Best Buy poorly trains their employees.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Cashier at BB was out of line in making those comments. I would have demanded to see the manager immediately.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Silly or not, many will stand on the opinion the young lady was coming on to Justin and his girlfriend. We will never know.

I don't go to Best Buy for their knowledgable help. Many of us do our research on our own, right? Luckily I have a DVD Planet by my work, and although a bit higher (only on some titles) it's a pleasure to shop there. Very quiet. Even their help suffers a bit in the knowledge department, but they are friendly.

As for the check-out lines, I do think many retailers throw these checkers into the fire way too early. I've seen it from Trader Joe's to Pet City.

These checkers aren't making very much. Maybe if we put our snobbery in check, cut them a bit of slack, it wouldn't be such an unpleasurable experience for us. Try flipping it once and see what happens.

MikeHughes

Agent
@Brian_L_Kleis:

I think you went way over the the top. If you can't accept their price-policy(as idiotic as it may be), don't shop there anymore. But please, don't make such a fuss over it. It's not like you're entitled to a price reduction. :rolleyes

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'd love a self-checkout at Best Buy (not what you meant, Zen, but it made me think of it). Hell, if the employee would just step back from the register, I'd do it myself now. From shopping there so often (at least I used to), I'm better trained than the average cashier anyway.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

OK, I have worked in retail for 18 of the past 23 years, so I have seen and heard pretty much EVERYTHING there is...

Keeping that in mind:
As an employee, I HATE when a customer wants help, yet refuses to ask for it and says: "There's NEVER any help in this store!", or "I don't know how you are supposed to find ANYTHING in this store". I swear to you, I can be six feet away and they will talk like this, yet refuse to just ask for help.

Approaching customers isn't just to offer help; it helps deter potential shoplifters. If someone know that there are employees available, they are less likely to steal.

And Sean, I think retail-bashing is wrong, HOWEVER, I find bad service completely unacceptable. (An under-staffed store, or poorly trained employee I feel sympathetic towards, because I know the feeling. But employees that talk amongst themselves, ignore me, don't acknowledge my business or are just plain rude REALLY set me off!) Unfortunately I don't see that changing until retail pays better wages and hires better people.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, the female cashier at my BB actually said,

"Wow, they have a Wild Things 2!" :D Is it any good?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

She's an actress whom a lot of people want to see naked. ;)

The folks at my local Best Buy are not always the most knowledgable (especially when it comes to electronics), but they are all quite friendly and helpful.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Tangent but still funny...

I was up at Kim's Video at Columbia U. in NYC and was waiting online when I heard an exchange between 2 customers behind me... Students apparently.
1 of them had picked up the new DRACULA set and mentioned Bela Lugosi. Then I was amazed when the other of them liked him in ED WOOD. The 1st 1 was more confused then. Wait, Bela Lugosi? Yeah, when he played himself. It was so sad when his wife died. As Dracula??? No...!
Either this gives INCREDIBLE props to Landau, (much deserved of course...) or the IQ of people getting into Columbia nowadays is goin' down. And of course every other sentence began with, "Oh My God..." and every 4th or 5th word was "like"..... For a moment I wanted to explain everything, but I was too dumbfounded and didn't have the energy....

So sometimes the customers that salespeople must deal with are dumb as sticks too....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks