What's new

Cases and covers are worthless? (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I still have a lot of discs in the original cases, but I bit the bullet and put a load of them in disc sox and/or binders. The original art is still intact and can easily be put right back into an empty keepcase for resale at any time.

It saves a lot of space, but I'd agree that overall the best way is to just quit buying stuff you won't watch over and over.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: That's right, Joe! Us old guys (I'll be 48 next month) need to know our limitations! ;)

As has been documented in THIS thread, I have "slimmed" my collection by transferring my DVDs into Thinpaks or other slim cases. It honestly doubles your storage capacity (shelf space). This required me to trim (gasp!) a short amount from each side of the coverart with a paper cutter to allow the cover to fit into the smaller cases. While others have actually photoshopped the spine of their coverart and reprinted the covers to fit the smaller cases, I am pleased with the effect of just trimming the originals.

However, like Joe, I am also trending towards separating the wheat from the chaff in my collection and being much more cautious about titles I purchase. While I have the best of intentions...they always seem to be too ambitious for the reality of my existence. The backlog of titles in my collection of movies-I-have-yet-to-watch continues to get bigger rather than smaller.

Most of the issues discussed in this thread have already been covered in the other--except for the impact of spouses and/or "significant others" on the storage issue. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Double post. Odd, though. I ended up with a double post while trying to edit the post above. [Cue Twilight Zone theme...]

DeeF

Screenwriter
Although I highly doubt I'll ever sell anything, I have converted most of my collection to slim cases. I've converted all the snappers, and I've converted a lot of the single amray cases, too.

The only things I haven't tried converting are Disney packages, and Criterions. I also haven't converted anything that came in an odd package, with a sleeve or a foldout box, or something like that.

I'm guessing that I've gained about 35% more room.

I've thrown away all the unused amrays and snappers. I put the snapper cardboard art files in a box, and they all fit in there (about 300).

The other thing I've been doing is consolidating sets into one or two single amrays, using those paper envelopes. For instance, the BBC set of I, Claudius came in a box - 5 amrays each holding a single disk. I was able to put all the disks and art into 1 single amray -- perfect consolidation. And I threw the outer box away.

DavidBC

Second Unit

I'm closing in on 1000 (because I have issues that we don't need to go into here), and wouldn't get rid of my cases for the same reason I wouldn't rip the covers off my books. I recently built a gigantic bookshelf set that's about 8 feet high and 15 feet long. I adore it.

I love checking out other people's collections, for fun, stupid reasons like this:
I notice that all of your X-Files boxes are faced Mulder-side out. All of mine are Scully-side out.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Wow, you must have a lot of very light furniture!

I've moved a few times, and the DVD's are the easiest to carry (except for my paranoia about damaging them), they just take up a large amount of space.

Now my book collection - that IS heavy to carry!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks