What's new

Casablanca remake- you will not BELIEVE who's starring (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
As mentioned earlier, Lopez's sister denies the rumor, thank HEAVEN.
But, we still have that (confirmed) Seven Samurai remake to bitch about. If it ends up Brendan Fraser and Martin Lawrence...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
But, we still have that (confirmed) Seven Samurai remake to bitch about. If it ends up Brendan Fraser and Martin Lawrence...
Don't judge Fraser until you've seen The Quiet American. Blast away if you have...:)

I can't see anything possessing Martin to do this project.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Don't judge Fraser until you've seen The Quiet American.
Or "Gods and Monsters".

Honestly, what would some people do around here if there weren't something to wail and gnash their teeth about? ;)

Casablanca is my all-time favorite film, and I couldn't care less if they remake it. It won't diminish Bogart and Bergman's version in my eyes...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I also a defender of the remake, or rather the right to make a remake.

But my advise would be to get as far away from comparisons to any of the top 20-30 films of all-time (at least American films), unless you love to be unfavorably compared that is.

There is so much more downside than upside on a project like this. Of course the pitch of "Casablanca remake" might not accurately describe the RUMORED film idea. Just as Barb Wire is a remake yet is also quite different from the original.

Or consider Bug's Life and Seven Samurai for example. CGI version of Seven Samurai by Disney only sounds appealing now that we know what Pixar had to offer, but there was a time that it would have sounded awful or at least silly.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
How did the SNL "Weekend Update" bit go:

"The new version of Casbalanca will appeal to fans of the film who've always wanted to see a version that SUCKED" or something like that.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This is just an immensely stupid idea, plain and simple. :thumbsdown:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sorry, but no one can pull off this movie without Bogie, Bergman, and Michael Curtiz.

It's already obvious that the sex is going to be in the remake (since it's only suggested in the original) and we'll probably see some more over-the-top violence.

Casablanca is going to be the #1 comedy when it's released, though. I can't even think of Ben Affleck as Rick without laughing. He's not a bad actor, but simply wrong for the part. He'd be more appropriate as Paul Henreid's character.

Raul Julia did a great job as Rick in Overdrawn In The Memory Bank...an otherwise mediocre film.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who think that remakes are ok. The problem is, how to remake a classic. Or why.

On the one hand, the film can be updated. Or new techniques can be used that were not available when the earlier version was used.

In this case unless this is a complete update, the actors will always be compared (not only) to Bogie and Bergman but to Claude Rains and Sydney Greenstreet as well. And if it is a complete remake (which takes the pressure off the actors to a degree), the writer will have a problem coming up with a whole new set of quotable lines.

Put another way, some actor has to deliver lines like ‘Here’s looking at you, kid’, and be compared to Bogie and company, or some writer has to come up with all new dialogue.

A very tough ask, either way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's amazing the difference in tone between this thread and the thread talking about the upcoming remake of "King Kong." Both are beloved classics, but the KK thread is mostly positive, this is mostly negative.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Wayne Knight (Newman) would make a great Sydney Greenstreet.

Remakes can be a positive thing if they open the originals up to people who might otherwise not know or care about them. Someone might not know a thing about Casablanca (or any other older film), and upon seeing a remake, might decide to check out the original. That can't be a bad thing, can it?

Chris

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
That's right. Everyone'll be getting on the damn plane.
What does that mean, exactly? Forgive me for sounding stupid, but are you trying to say that Rick is going to go with Ilsa in the ending, or is that phrase referring to something else?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they DID change the ending...;)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really hope that this is a bad joke... There's just no need to remake the movie. If they want to go make something in a similar style to Casablanca, great, but just don't go trying to tamper with the original.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> just don't go trying to tamper with the original

I don't think those two will be edited into the original film.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
It's amazing the difference in tone between this thread and the thread talking about the upcoming remake of "King Kong." Both are beloved classics, but the KK thread is mostly positive, this is mostly negative.
I'mm fairly indifferent to the King Kong remake. Not my favourite early monster movie. On many levels though, I fidn a Ben/J.Lo Casablanca to be intriguing, in the same way most disasters hold voyueristic appeal.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
This is just stupid stupid stupid if its true...Affleck...dude...I have always supported you...but if you do this and remake possibly the best movie ever made...dude I will lose almost all respect for you...DONT DO IT!! PLEASE DONT!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...KK was being done by Peter Jackson...the Casablanca is Ben and Lopez...uhhh...yeah...theres a difference between the two films...KK can be updated with new amazing FX...but I would still prefer the original...but it would be cool to see a new version...Casablanca...well...thats timeless...no need to update...

But really...I would rather Peter Jackson make something of his own...instead of just remaking films or books into film...I dont think either film need be remade...look at what happened with the 70's King Kong...or Psycho (98)...only remake to have done really good business was Planet of the Apes...and I think if for nothing else because it made it its own...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks