What's new

Cars: November 7 (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
As a fan of Pixar films, I was disappointed in this one and found it to be a weak effort compared to their previous movies as far as the story and characters go. The story was dull and predictable, and like many have pointed out before... it seems way too much like a ripoff of Doc Hollywood. Despite that opinion, I still loved the animation and was probably going to get this on DVD anyway as a Pixar completist. However, Disney just made up my mind by offering a lackluster DVD release. Plenty of extra features would have been the incentive to make me buy the less-than-stellar film, but their marketing guys blew it on this one. I probably won't even care enough to get a 2-disc double dip if and when it eventually comes out.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Yes, it was the weakest Pixar movie to date. I know, it still raked in 250 million plus, but still, it just wasn't very good. That's probably why it is only one disc.

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
In my opinion, this was one of the best Pixar films. I'd probably put it right behind the two Toy Storys as my 3rd favorite.

You know what they say about opinions though ;-)

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
In the case of Disney, it probably is why there is only one disc. Several of ther recent underperformers are only one disc. Treasure Planet and Lilo and Stitch are one disc...There was going to be a multi-disc set for Lilo and Stitch, but after the box office returns, they announced that they had changed their minds.

Am I saying Cars was as bad as Treasure Planet? Of course not. It looked great. Renderman can display metal and plastic like nobody's business. I didn't say I agreed with the logic. Personally, I think Pixar peaked with The Incredibles and it was going to be tough for any film to follow it. But I wouldn't have made a movie about talking cars...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aaron, it's my understanding that SE's of all those movies are "coming". Granted, we've heard that for a while now, but something was "announced" in a previous release...I don't remember which movie or which release.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

To each his own - Bug's Life is my FAVORITE Pixar flick. Monsters Inc is the one that does the least for me...

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Same here. But they're slowly becoming even as the redhead is teaching the blonde to follow in his footsteps. :angry:

Seriously, my least favorite would also be A Bug's Life. Not that it's bad. Just that it's my least favorite.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Although I think Cars is in the middle of the pack of Pixar movies, I think it is very rewatchable because it seems there are a lot of little things in the background that may not have been picked up on during the first viewing.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I agree that for me, Cars is in the middle somewhere. It's not as fast-and-funny as my faves, but it's good hearted and pretty to look at, and fun. But anything following The Incredibles would have to be a let-down.

It's about a thousand times better than the miserable Toy Story 2 -- I still have no idea of what people see in that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks