What's new

Carpet dyeing: scam? (1 Viewer)

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Ever since I moved into my money pit last year, I've been dying to change the ugly medium blue carpet, especially since it clashes with well, pretty much everything.

Then today while surfing the net, I came across a few sites that talk about dyeing your carpet and being able to change the color for a fraction of the costs associated with an actual carpet change. Color Your Carpet

Has anybody tried this?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

So, I don't know how big your house or carpeted area is, but I use a carpet wholesaler (you have to hunt around, put up with the used-car-sales types in the discount carpet biz to find the real deal), and if "dyeing" is half the cost then you could dye your carpet for under $500. I doubt this.

I'd recommend that you find a reputable carpet dealer, preferably a wholesaler, and just spring for new carpet. I pay between $1000-$2000 to carpet a whole house with mid-grade, durable carpet. And that's not a bad deal. Even heavily trafficked carpet lasts upwards of 5 years.

MC

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Only natural fibers can be dyed as synthetics will not absorb any dye. So unless you have wool carpet, it is a scam. Or at least a really bad idea.

jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks