What's new

Car Repair Problem ... Need Sugestions! (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well I got the car to the shop this morning (1990 Buick Riviera) for a yearly inspection and also wanted to check the Master Cylinder as the break fluid was leaking.
Thought it was something small ...
Well, it turns out my master cylinder problem is a $1900 problem!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Seems that the piece cannot be repaired on the spot, parts suppliers do not have it, and the only way to fix it is to send it to GM for rebuilding ... this alone would take 7 days.
I trust the shop guys as I always take my car there, but this is ridiculous!!!
I mean the car is worth about that much right now, so I am not sure what to do? The worst part is that my inspection expired today and they will not pass me either ... so either I fix it or ????
Well for now I am going to take it to another inspection station in the morning, see if they have a second opinion.
What would you do? I was thinking to try to get the inspection and selling the car and getting something else ... can' t seem to justify the $1900 price tag.
I need help guys ... don't know what to do!

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
$1900 for a master cylinder! Ouch!

Try calling around to some salvage yards and see if you can find one cheaper. Also look to the mechanical GM counterparts for parts, ie Roadmaster/Caprice, Regal/Grand Prix. I can't think of the GM counterpart for a Riviera though.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
That sounds like total BS!!
Find out exactly what is wrong and then look around for that part.
There is no way an entire Master Cylinder AND labor can cost that much!!!
Heres a link that may help you gmpartsdirect.com
P.S. I dont know about where you live, but taking it to an Inspection Station for a mechanical problem may not be the wise thing to do. Call around and get your vehicle towed to the best shop you can find. Or, You may want to get the part yourself and then have someone install it if your not confortable doing it yourself.

KyleS

Screenwriter
The Junk Yards Idea is by far the best idea especially considering that they wont know what this part is worth. Seems that 1900 is WAY too much for that part, but not if what he is saying is true. Best of luck.

KyleS

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Those cars and many of the olds and pontiacs should have interchangeable brake and suspension parts, does it have ABS? $1900 is way too much, that's not right, either get a second opinion from another Mechanic or call some salvage yards and see if they have that master cylinder, if not, the salvage yards(good ones) will have the interchange "bible" and will be able to tell you what other models utilize the same master cylinder.

First I would do a lot of calling around to salvage yards, and get some info on which other models will interchange and of course get prices.

Then try the Auto Parts Chain Stores like NAPA, Carquest, Autozone. etc. and get prices from them on rebuilt or new master cylinders(rebuilt will be just as good as new, they just use the casting and replace the plunger and seals, and are good as new).

NOTE: ABS equipped cars are notoriously expensive to replace brake parts, the Master cylinders actually have sensors on them and such, but still shop the chain stores and salvage yards for pricing whether you have ABS(Anti-Lock Brake System) or not.

Don't be surprised (if you need an ABS Master Cylinder to pay quite a bit)

Good Luck!

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Just came to me....
I think the Oldsmobile Toronado is a mechanical match to the Riviera. :)

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Did a quick search and found this info....... Sorry to say, but it looks like they want to make a Quick Buck the start of the New Year ??
----------------------------------------------
Can't find your part? Email Us And we'll find it for you!
Quantity Manufacturer Part Number Description Core Charge Your Price Details
BRAKE, POWER BRAKE UNIT
A1 CARDONE 50-1055 [Power Brake Booster] w/ Master Cylinder; Reman.; w/o ABS 40.00 149.95
A1 CARDONE 54-71055 [Power Brake Booster] w/o Master Cylinder; Reman.; w/o ABS 10.00 96.95
AC DELCO 179-1322 [VALVE KIT,P/B BOOS VAC CHK] GM # 18029764; W/GROM; w/4-WHL DISC BRK(J65) 0.00 8.82
AC DELCO 25535707 [BOOSTER,P/B] GM # 25535707; W/PRESS WARNING SW; w/ANTILOCK DISC BRK(JL9) 0.00 278.81
AC DELCO 178-418 [BOOSTER,P/B] GM # 18060146; w/4-WHL DISC BRK(J65) 0.00 191.59
WAGNER 501055 [Power Brake Booster] w/Mstr. Cyl.; Exc. ABS 40.00 146.95
WAGNER 5471055 [Power Brake Booster] w/o Mstr. Cyl.; Exc. ABS 10.00 95.01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catalog Data: Vol.5 No.12
© 1998-2001 Wrenchead, Inc., All rights reserved.
Disclaimer

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Aurel,
See! Cheap! I'm am formerly ASE certified in brakes and alignments, and you could send me round trip airplane tickets to New York and back, I could fix your car, then you can put me up for a night or 2 in downtown NY, give me $500 and still save money compared to the $1900 that shop wants. ;)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Aurel,Now you can go to that shop armed with a little info, or another shop for that matter. Doug provided some good info, now you just need to find out about availability and the exact parts you need.

If you have the time I would still get pricing at your local auto chain store.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Sean ... Doug .. Thanks guys!
Here is where I stand right now. I took the car to another shop for the inspection. I DID NOT mention to them this leak from the unit ... so hopefully I will pass.
I was thinking about this last night myself, and $1900 is crazy .. I mean you can replace an engine for that price !!!
DOUG: Where did you get those prices and info from?
SEAN: If things don't work out here, I will send you round trip tickets and a downtown stay ... for sure!!! :)
BTW: The car has ABS and the assembly that has to be replaced contains the ABS control ... I believe?!?! But my ABS has not worked since I bought the car as the previous owner told me and ABS idiot light has always been on.
As far as the equivalent ... the Olds Toronado and the Caddy Eldorado use the same parts supposedely.
Thanks for all the help so far everyone ... will keep you posted!!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
NAPA United ABS Hydraulic Assy - Remfd
Usually ships within 3 to 5 days. UBP
Master Cylinder Part of Hydraulic Assembly
$ 1539.00
Found the above on wrenchead.com for the Riviera.
Now I am getting worried.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
...And I thought my 328i was a b*tch to maintain (at the dealer). The dealer wants like $900 to replace the brake rotors (all 4) while I have already replaced my brake pads myself so I know how to remove the caliper, I found that replacing the rotors is fairly easy and doesn't require any kind of special tools for it. I can buy certified OEM quality rotors from retailers for ~$180 and do it myself.

My next project to do is bleed the brakes, the internet is sooo cool, I can find out how to do almost any routine mainainance on my 328i from the net and it's saved me at least $1000 in labor costs over the last 4 years by doing my own oil changes, brake parts and stuff. The only thing I had done at the dealer was a bad water pump and a thermometer, all covered under warrentee. No way I could own the BMW if I didn't do all my maintainance...

Jay

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Master Cylinder Part of Hydraulic Assembly

$ 1539.00
Aurel, Now that I think about it my Dad has a Buick Lesabre with ABS, and went through the same thing, I think I remember him complaining that it cost over $1000 to replace the ABS/MC components.

If you don't think the car is worth it, you may find someone to convert the ABS to non ABS. But ABS is one of the things that makes these cars so luxurious and safe.

Your right though, you could get a new engine for that price, not to mention the HT goodies you could get.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Schuck's Auto Supply (a chain in my neck of the woods):
http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectPa...Hydraulic+Unit
Your results for Abs Hydraulic Unit
If you are not sure if a particular part fits your own car, please call the customer service hotline.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1.877.808.0698
MANUFACTURER PART # PRICE QTY BUY
A1 CARDONE 12-3411 $810.99
[ABS Hydraulic Unit] Reman.; Incl. Pump/Mtr.
There is an additional $100.00 core charge on this product

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks