What's new

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Can you find Haley Atwell?
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Here's a spoiler-free review by the Schmoes (they loved it)http://schmoesknow.com/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-review-by-the-schmoes/Drew McWeeny at HitFixhttp://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-captain-america-meets-his-match-in-the-smart-and-stylish-winter-soldier
Suffice it to say the scale of the film is impressive, the action is relentless, and the plot manages to genuinely shake the power structure of the entire Marvel movie universe. This is not a film designed to maintain the status quo. It is a film full of big choices that will have a big impact on every other film that's still in the works. The Russos turn out to be an inspired choice, and the end result is a film that ranks very near the top of the list out of any of the films made by Marvel Studios so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Even Class A d-bag Jeffrey Wells, who generally hates this kind of stuff, liked it:
"This is a genre film so you can’t get too excited, but the focus, craft and general efficiency that have gone into Winter Soldier are truly exceptional and top-of-the-line. If you’re going to do this kind of crap, this is how you do it."
image.jpg

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I think plot wise it was my favourite of the MCU movies. It kept up a great pace and had some top notch action sequences. Chris Evans was a great choice for Cap and the newbies impressed. I liked Black Widow in this more than in the previous films. Nice mid and post credit scenes. You can see how events from this could set things into motion for Age of Ultron.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep, I'm going to an 8:05 PM show tomorrow night. Can't wait!Plus it'll be nice to no longer have to keep avoiding the multiple TV spots and online clips.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to hear people are liking it. I have to wait til Saturday to see it, but I'm very much looking forward to it. The first Cap movie was probably my favorite of the Marvel Studios films so far.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Most of my friends are fairly lukewarm on it, but I really liked the first Captain America. I wouldn't necessarily say it is the best, but it was my favourite non-avengers phase one film and it is probably my favourite origin movie.The WWII setting and the lovely Haley Atwell certainly don't hurt. I can understand some people thinking the Captain America character is less interesting than some other heroes, but Chris Evans' Steve Rogers is so likeable. If you were going for a night out then Stark or Thor would be the choice, but if you could have one Avenger as your friend then it would be Steve Rogers. I thought the transformation scene into the chase did a great job of showing off Captain America's new abilities.

Anyway can't wait to read your thoughts on it. I am planning when to fit in a visit to go see it a second time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nigel P said:
Most of my friends are fairly lukewarm on it, but I really liked the first Captain America. I wouldn't necessarily say it is the best, but it was my favourite non-avengers phase one film and it is probably my favourite origin movie.
I think "Captain America: The First Avenger" is really really good as well. For some reason, that one got the least amount of press out of phase one, or so it seemed (they kind of "snuck" a July 2011 opening in there, but I remember Thor from May 2011 getting more press and advertising from Marvel). But I thought it was really well-made, nice old school look and feel to it, just an all-around entertaining movie. And then I forgot about it until just before Avengers came out, watched it again, and was like "Wow, this is a really good movie, it's fun and the characters are enjoyable and the script is good -- how come I keep forgetting it?" So it took me a little while to maybe get there, but yeah, I think the first Cap is a really well-done movie.

I kinda wish they had been able to keep him in the past for longer -- the end of the movie seemed a little rushed, like we just met this character, and at the end of the movie, he's frozen -- I kinda wish they could have found a way to include him in the Avengers without ending the possibility of another period piece Captain America movie.

Really excited to see Winter Solider tonight - seeing it after work at 11pm in IMAX!

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I agree. I wish they had included one more proper mission with the howling commandos instead of the montage. I am not a big fan of flashbacks, but I hope they find a way to have something else from Cap's WWII exploits. I did think the final conversation with Peggy was well done.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really liked the First Avenger as well. But there were two things that knocked it down a bit for me. The first is that they really didn't portray Steve's strength, speed and fighting skills the way I thought it should have been (I hear they nailed this in The Winter Soldier). But it's not too big a deal because I figure just because he had enhanced abilities doesn't mean he'd automatically become an expert martial artist. It does make sense that in the time between The Avengers and The Winter Soldier he spent some time training up on modern fighting skills. The second was the montage. It wasn't bad by any means, but I think it was somewhat weak in glossing over that period of years that he lead the Howling Commandos. I would have liked to have seen more of that, more of his relationship with Bucky, and for Bucky's death scene to have been portrayed with more significance (though it was still decent).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean Bryan said:
The second was the montage. It wasn't bad by any means, but I think it was somewhat weak in glossing over that period of years that he lead the Howling Commandos. I would have liked to have seen more of that, more of his relationship with Bucky, and for Bucky's death scene to have been portrayed with more significance (though it was still decent).
I also would have liked more of this - it's hard to get a sense of how much time passes during the course of the movie, and I could have spent a lot more time with both the characters and in that WW2-era setting.

I can understand Marvel not wanting to leave it open-ended, though -- that is, having the movie end with Cap still in the 40s, but having him present in the Avengers. They could have shown him being found at the beginning of Avengers and then just left it blank as to how he got here, so that they could have done more period piece stories, but oh well... better to leave them wanting more, I suppose!

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Sean Bryan said:
The first is that they really didn't portray Steve's strength, speed and fighting skills the way I thought it should have been (I hear they nailed this in The Winter Soldier).
I like the fact that Cap is not just invincible. My favourite type of action is where there is a two sided battle going on. I think they did a really good job of making him look more impressive in Winter Soldier without being invulnerable. There are other aspects of his character which they get spot on as well.

Corey II

Agent
Real Name
Corey
Sean Bryan said:
The second was the montage. It wasn't bad by any means, but I think it was somewhat weak in glossing over that period of years that he lead the Howling Commandos. I would have liked to have seen more of that, more of his relationship with Bucky, and for Bucky's death scene to have been portrayed with more significance (though it was still decent).
I agree. As much as I enjoyed the First Avenger, I wanted to see more of Steve's skills, especially his strategic thinking, so when one gets to the Avengers, there would be no doubt as to why a thunder god, a billionare genius, a gamma radiated monster, and two master assasins would follow him into battle and even more so, take orders from him.

Especially in the case of Thor, who himself is a military leader. Afterall, Thor is somewhere around 3000 years old, so you know he's lead the Warriors Three and Asgards forces into many battles.

Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger both could have benefited from an additional 10 to 15 minutes.

Of the four big comic book films this year, Winter Soldier is the one I am looking forward to the most.

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Freddie Zaragoza
Estimated 10+ million Thursday! More than Thor The Dark World. So expect a huge opening weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks