What's new

Caprica (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

Travis, where are the commentaries available? I used to download them via iTunes, but "get more episodes" on the iPhone hasn't turned up anything since the first half. Unless the naming convention was changed or something...

As far as I know, they're only on the DVDs. I guess since the episodes didn't air in the U.S., Sy-Fy didn't post or record any more podcast commentaries past the first one or two unaired episodes (I rented the discs so I can't remember exactly) and the finale's commentary was recorded for the DVD and not the podcast.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's certainly possible that Universal will do something like that down the road, but considering it's a show that only scored middling ratings at best, it's probably not as high up on their priorities-list at the moment.

Also, the DVD sales would also be a major factor in this, but the big "Catch-22" here is that -- very likely -- a large chunk of the BSG fanbase are skipping the DVDs entirely, waiting for a BD release...which, of course, means that any low DVD sales will end up preventing a Blu-Ray version from ever happening.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Caprica is officially coming out on Blu-Ray in Europe on 10/25...but U.S. audiences are evidently going to have to wait a bit longer. From The Digital Bits yesterday:
And here's a little bit of disappointing news: Universal has told me that they currently have no plans to release Caprica: The Complete Series on Blu-ray Disc here in the States. Let's hope that changes in the new year. Here's what the cover art for the already announced French version looks like (due 10/25)...
(The latter image comes from Amazon.fr.) This sucks, but it now officially exists in some form out there, albeit not in Region 1 itself. However, the fact that the transfers and disc-encoding are finished means that the hardest steps are behind them, and Universal could now theoretically put these out any time they wish over here. Will there be a U.K. release, if nothing else?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
However, the fact that the transfers and disc-encoding are finished means that the hardest steps are behind them, and Universal could now theoretically put these out any time they wish over here.
That's what I was thinking too. My guess is that whenever Blood And Chrome starts airing, Universal will release the Caprica Blu-ray here.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Even without any of the supplements already produced for the show -- i.e., the podcast commentaries, etc. -- I'd still likely order a Region 2 or Region 3 import version, but the fact that this is coming out augurs well for a Region 1 set (likely next year, as you point out). I have yet to pick up the DVD sets -- after watching it broadcast in a superior HD format, only to have it de-rezzed for home video? We may not be entitled to a Blu-Ray release, per se, but I'll be damned if I'm going to support watching it in a lesser format than its initial presentation.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by joshEH

We may not be entitled to a Blu-Ray release, per se, but I'll be damned if I'm going to support watching it in a lesser format than its initial presentation.

Agreed. This is the same reason I do not own the Community DVDs.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...And it looks like Blood & Chrome might not be airing on Syfy after all. Basically:
  • Blood & Chrome was originally envisioned as a webseries, but was promoted to full TV production, first as a backdoor pilot, and potentially a full series.
  • Syfy executives have seen a first cut of the pilot, and are now considering returning it to a series of webisodes.
  • Other considerations include sitting on it "for a time" so that BSG can "come back" with a "bigger bang" later on down the road.
...Yeah, this is not a good thing. Not only are web series just annoying because short-ass episodes are a total cocktease, but they're also not exactly visible in the public eye. Too, this is from the same network that recently said they wanted to "exploit" BSG as much as possible. I see this as Syfy dumping the project so they can just cancel it outright and be rid of it. They are becoming very adept at finding numerous ways to weasel out of producing halfway-challenging shows. With their increasing emphasis on crappy monster-movies-of-the-week and wrestling, it's a wonder they bother to even do any of this stuff in the first place, any more.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I would not follow it on the web for numerous reasons. Sitting on it for awhile makes no sense as the actors would go on to do other things if there's no "pickup".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks