What's new

Capping a sub? (1 Viewer)

has anyone ever experimented with installing a capacitor in a sub so it wont see anything under 80 or so?
have a main sub but im trying to get that missing midbass out of an extra sub10 I got .. but I have no way (older tuner) to set crossovers.(lowones). basically run main sub 80 and down and 2nd sub 80 - 150.
any other way? or do I just need to break down and get a tuner.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've thought about using a ROLLS SX21 (search for it on Amazon) to split my sub signal. 50hz and lower would go to multiple 18's. 50hz and up would go to mid-bass modules. I'm looking at building some from Stryke Audio AV12's. Those were made by TC Sounds on the TC2+ platform. Extremely low inductance so there will not be any inductance issues. I'm currently using a parametric EQ to tame an inductance hump at 55hz on my TC-3000 subs.

On the retail side, the Hsu MBM has been around for years. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm glad I get backup for the crossover idea. Over that the "Denon is God" forum, they act like that is the worst idea they've ever heard of...

thanks for the input
I guess this is the main question I need to ask to achieve my goal- and please forgive me . im learning....
I have a sub12 (front of room) on the lfe output and the bass is great. I want to add another sub in rear (behind couch). I have it hooked up now using the high inputs (rear speaker wires). The receiver is sending 100 and above (non adj.) but I just feel its missing still the midbass im searching for.
Should I be using the rear signal for bass input?????should I use the rear preout and go to the sub???? or should I split off the lfe out at the tuner and play with the subs crossovers ?

I do have to admit that even though the tuner is set on small in rear (100 and above) , their is a lot ( I guess between 100 and 200 or so)that's been missing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This would be simpler with a newer AVR. There is only so much you can do with the audio configuration your 65 offers.Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Integra and NAD all use Audyssey. Preouts cost less with Onkyo, but XT32 costs less with Denon.With 100hz to work with, you aren't going gain much.

should I be trying to reproduce the rear bass though. or is it best to let the rear bass go through the sub outputs (LFE)
I am in the market for a 7.2 receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue is, your current AVR crossover for the rear is 100. An Aud AVR will allow 40.So then, you could run the rear to the high level and on to the actual speakers. You won't need an external crossover. And with a lower crossover, to sub for .1 will also happily "flap along" on 80hz...with only the rest of the speakers "add-on" under 40...not under 100 that you have now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I only have 1 sub per theatre.

But every one of my theatres(sans bedroom) runs full range speakers crossed over at 40hz. Ergo, I only need 1 sub per theater.

It helps that I listen to SACD/DVD-A and prefer to listen to those on "direct" mode(bypasses bass management).

But...

I get what you are trying to do. And if my rear channel speakers(and yes...these are the rear channels) weren't the DCM TF350, BIC V820 and Infinity Crescendo 3007(three theatres)...I would use a subwoofer on the rear channel.

Your main issue is, your AVR only allows a 100hz crossover(I assume if you put your front small, so does your rear channel have to be set small). What you are trying to accomplish won't work with a 100hz crossover.

A newer AVR(if you care to use subwoofers, instead of larger speakers) will allow you to set the front and rear at 40hz. Then...

An AVR with pre-outs...
1. You can then run the fronts and/or rears at 40hz to a subwoofer via high level, which would let the subwoofer play 40-80hz...the "sats" play 80hz and up.

2. Run the "sats" via the speaker terminals and run the pre-outs to the subwoofer. Then your "sats" are running 40hz and up and you get additional bass fill from the subwoofer from 40hz to "whatever you set it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks