Can't recommend TV Authority

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkMu, Nov 13, 2006.

1. MarkMu

MarkMu Auditioning

I ordered a Panasonic 50" plasma from TV Authority mid-September. They did not have the best price for me, but since they were sponsor of this site I gave them my business (after negotiating them within $75 of that other price). Long story short, after numerous contacts with the salesperson over three weeks I still did not have a shipping number for the unit despite having been promised that it was in stock at the time of order and would ship in their normal time. I was lied to again and again.

Bought from another online retailer for the same delivered price (prices had fallen in the 30 calendar days of my TV Authority fiasco) and had the unit in 5 business days following my order. Great service! Couldn't be happier with their service or shipping (box was totally mint and the driver was a nice guy).

Beware of TV Authority. Even at the time of my cancellation they were still showing the unit in stock on their website and promised shipment within a week.

MarkG

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    dude, this is so uncool....but it coincides with your post count and your signature.

3. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

If it is true, I don't find it uncool. If its a lie, then TV Authority is owed a big apology, and the poster needs to be banned.

4. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Maybe Tico will stop in to settle this matter.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    What's uncool? Are you saying Mark's lying? He can't complain about a "forum sponsor?".

6. MarkMu

MarkMu Auditioning

None of my post is false. In fact, I was quite kind by leaving out some of the details. I apologize, Gregg, if my low post count is some indication of a lack of character. My old username was yukiginger, if that helps, but I have been very busy lately and I visit the forum less and less. I will say that I contacted my sales rep. three or four times by email and by phone and was given the same story each time - that he would look into it and get right back to me. TV Authority charged my credit card for the order the day it was placed. Almost 30 calendar days later and no shipment date or ETA, and you think it's unfair that I make such a post?! Come on! I am just trying to inform fellow forum members of how my order was treated.

I did contact Tico, as I saw him posting on this site, and he told me that he contacted my salesguy, who should be able to help me. When I last contacted the sales rep. and he still could not give me any idea when the TV would ship I told him I wanted to cancel. No apology at all from him, he just said that he would transfer me to customer service where someone would help me.

This was by far my biggest electronic purchase ever and my first HD device. I simply had high hopes for its arrival, but such a delay really disappointed me. I did end up with the same unit and I am quite happy with it. I just expect better customer service than I received from a forum sponsor. Simple honesty would have been great.

I do appreciate you letting this post appear somewhere, although that is what this feedback section is for, isn't it?

MarkG

7. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I think Mark's post was reasonable and not at all 'uncool.'

A number of people, posting on AVS, have purchased from TV Authority and are very satisfied. Based on that I referred a friend to them. IMO they didn't treat him well but I don't intend to get into the 'uncool' details.

That's only two cases (against the many more positive posts on AVS); but it means Mark isn't alone.

8. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    I've been following this thread since it was started and hesitated to post my own experience with TVA until now. Usually when I get less than satisfactory service I just chalk it up to experience and move on.

When I bought my Samsung HL-S4666W from TVA there were a few things that made me wary of them.

First, they charged my credit card when the order was processed - not when it shipped.

Their website said that they had 100+ in stock but it didn't ship for 2 - 3 weeks.

I had to call several times to get a status report (after waiting a reasonable amount of time). I was told that I would have it on a specific date and it was about 2 weeks late. I was finally given a tracking number - it was wrong and I had to call again for the correct one.

After the TV was finally shipped I called the shipping company to find out what time of day they would deliver (not the exact hour, just morning or afternoon). They told me morning. I waited all day and they finally showed up at 7:00 PM. I know that may not be TVA's fault directly but they chose the shipping company so some of the responsibility is theirs.

I am very satisfied with the price I paid and the TV is excellent but as for myself I probably will not shop at TVA again just because of the uncertainty factor. I can't tell people not shop with them but they should be aware of any problems that might arise.

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I find this thread very informative and not "uncool" at all. Specialy since it was written quite maturely. This is not your typical "HEY! "Retailer X" SUX, don't buy from them!".

Does this mean TVA is bad company? Of course not, heck this thread is comforting for some. It means TVA is a big gun. No company is perfect and the bigger you get the harder it is to insure 100% service from all employees.

When it is a small shop with 2-3 guys it's easy. It's either all good all the time or they don't care and you can tell right away. Once the company reaches a certain sizes it is impossible to get the same service from everyone involved. These are human beings after all. Don't get me wrong I don't think this excuses any un-professional behaviour but trying point out that this happens.

Best Buy made their beginnings based on good service being a priority, the reps don't even get commission. But nowadays you go to enough BBs and you will find both extremes of GREAT customer service and guys who could not care less.

This kind of info needs to get to us, the customers. A good company will use this as an opportunity to make "course corrections" to the direction the comapny is taking.

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mark:

Thanks for posting the information and let us know when you get this resolved with them. I am sure they will work with you to make it right. They are about as good of a company as you can get.

Parker

11. brady_2427

brady_2427 Auditioning

Yes this is my first post, but I need to voice my transaction with tv authority. I am currently on hold awaiting to talk with one of their customer service representatives. In the previous numerous calls I've made to them I would say I have to wait atleast 20 minutes to reach anyone if not longer. so I'm forced to sit on the computer to pass time as I listen to their horrible music over the telephone. I ordered a Samsung HLS 5086 on Oct 23 2006. Once my delivery window passed I called Tico (salesman that I ordered through) and he reassured me that my tv would be there with a few days and the status of my order was changed to shipped. I called again a few days later and wanted tracking info and they said I needed to talk to Mach1 to get that info. Now on Nov 15 I called Mach1 and wanted to know where my tv was. They checked and said that tv authority hadn't even released my tv to be shipped. Furious, I cancelled my order. I was told that my full refund would be credited back within 7-10 business days. So after the 10 business days passed, I called and waited on hold again until I was told that they were sorry and that I would receive my refund in 24-48 hours. That time frames expired yesterday, so I called and waited on hold again. The customer service rep then checked with accounting and said that the refund was already granted. I said no, its not there. She reassured me (like I believe them anymore) that it was granted. So now today I checked again it's still not there.

So now I've been sitting on hold for 28 minutes as I've been typing this to see what the customer service says to me today. So Tico if you read this, I would like you to return my calls, and I want my $1,380 back please.

I'm just soo tired of the false information they provide and I just don't under stand why they had to string me along for soo long. I just can't believe how bad their customer service is.

Just got through to Nicole (some rep) she says its been granted and I've asked now for a second time for an email confirming this.

My mission now is to warn other potential customers of what they may be in for if they order from them. I just wish I did more research and read some of the horror stories before I ordered from them. The hours on the phone placed on hold for false information is just torture.

Use you best judgement,
    Brady

12. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

One call to the ol' credit card company would take care of the charges. They dont like to see charges made and nothing sent. I went into a local Home Theater store a few months back and couldnt even get the time of day from a real person. Like its a privilege for me to shop with them. I can only guess how you guys feel doing business online without really having eye to eye contact with a person!

13. brady_2427

brady_2427 Auditioning

Stupid me used a debit card and not a credit card.... I've been told again that my refund is there and that my bank needs a few days to post it in my account. So I guess if it's not there on Monday I will be forced to take further action.

Contacting Attorney general's office in Mn and Ca.
    Report them to the Better Business Bureau.

They should not be taking your $$ till it's shipped in my opinion

14. MarkMu

MarkMu Auditioning

Well, here I am almost two months after my original order (and cc charge) and over one month from my cancellation (confirmed by email) and guess what (Greg, are you listening) NO REFUND!!!!

So, TV Authority has my money, well over two thousand dollars, for two months, with nothing to show, after all of the hassle, and being assured that the order was cancelled and a refund given! Should I even need to be spending time calling my cc company to dispute the charges? I think not.

Yes, at least one complaint will go the the Attorney General's office.

Once again, I am sure TV Authority generally treats customers well (probably when they have the item to sell and ship) but they really need some honesty, better accountability, and better communication/service.

I hope to have my $2000+ soon to spend on holiday gifts.

MarkG

15. brady_2427

brady_2427 Auditioning

Mark,

Did you get an email confirming the refund was given, or that you canceled your order, or both.

Getting my email confirming my refund gave me a little hope, but now after reading your post I feel like I'm optimistic over nothing..

If TICO really is on this board then speak up..... This place should be shut down for their customer abuse. I'm really looking forward to my next customer service call sitting on hold and be given the same bs during each call.

(as you might tell from my tone, my patience is really running thin)

16. MarkMu

MarkMu Auditioning

Good prelimanary news: they have now credited back to my card. I will confirm with my cc company in the next two days.

Mark

17. brady_2427

brady_2427 Auditioning

Well two days after getting an email stating that my refund was given, my bank still hasn't received anything.. No one seems to know what they are talking about. Three seperate people have told me that I've gotten my refund, but yet it still isn't there. It's soo easy to charge our accounts 5 minutes after placing the order, but it takes over a month and counting to get it back.

Unnecessary name-calling removed by owner of the forum. We can understand that a member wants to voice his/her dissatisfaction, but please keep to our general rules.

18. KirkP

KirkP Agent

brady_2427 & MarkMu-

After being referred to this thread, I went and double checked that both of your refunds had been done -they have been issued.

I am sorry for the repeated problems, lack of information, lack of communication and everything else that you encountered. I know its a day late and a dollar short but I wanted to apologize regardless.

This time of year I tend to be busier than normal and do not visit the forum with any consistency so if you do not see the refund by this time tomorrow, please send an email to kirk@tvauthority.com so that I follow up.

Kirk Punches
    Director of Sales
    TV Authority

19. brady_2427

brady_2427 Auditioning

I'm happy to report that I got my refund today.... The thing that bothered me most about my order and refund was the false information. I should have never been told that my order was on time and would be delivered during my window. I should never have been told that my order had already been shipped when the tv hadn't even been released by tv authority yet. I should have never been told that I would get my refund in 7-10 business days. Then after calling again, I shouldn't have been told that I would get it in 24-48 hours.

Kirk I just think that your customer service reps should be a little more honest with their customers..

Live and learn I guess, I'm just happy it's all over. Thanks for my complete refund though.

-Brady

20. MarkMu

MarkMu Auditioning

My case is now closed, as they have credited my card in the correct amount. It's been over three months since I placed the order, and my card was charged, but I am glad to not have to worry about it any longer.

Thanks, Kirk, for your assistance in making this happen.

Mark