Can't get surround sound system to work on tv channels

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by rizwan213, May 19, 2011.

1. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    1) Bluray connected to Receiver via HDMI......................O.K. 2) TV connected to Dish via HDMI..................................??? 3) TV connected to Receiver via Digital Audio cable.......Remove this 4) Dish connected to Receiver via HDMI.........................O.K. but #2 says Dish to tv with HDMI. Does your Dish receiver have two HDMI outputs? 5) XBox connected to TV via HDMI..................................O.K. This way the receiver has to be on all the time but it will help to solve the issues. "The TV Input is setup HDMI 1 - Receiver, HDMI 2 - Home Theater, HDMI 3 - Computer when plugged in, R/W cables - XBox" Receiver to HDMI 1...............O.K. Home Theater to HDMI 2.......What is "Home Theater"? Dish? BluRay? ??? Computer to HDMI 3..............O.K. If you want to watch tv with the receiver off connect an optical cable and a set of component cables from the Dish receiver to the tv.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I'm as lost as you till he can say how he actually has it connected.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I think it's a she...:)

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm not sure what this means, either, so let's simplify things and set it aside. Here's what you need to do - connect all of your SOURCES that support HDMI to the INPUTS on your receiver. Then run ONE HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI OUTPUT to the first HDMI input on your TV. Set the TV to HDMI. Leave it there. If there's anything left over that only uses analog (red/white/yellow) cables, connect it directly to the TV and forget about the surround system. Your Yamaha supports audio pass-through, so even when it is "turned off' (really in stand-by mode) it will send audio whichever input it was set to last to the TV. So as long as you always switch to your Dish DVR before turning it off, you'll be able to just "watch TV" using the TV speakers without powering up the Yamaha. Abdul:
    Probably not. Your all-in-one "home theater", like most such devices, has few input and no HDMI inputs. It does have a single digital audio input. You might be able to get TV sound via this thing by running a digital cable from your TV's digital output to this input. But most TVs can only output digital audio from their own built-in tuners. They can't pass digital audio from an outside source like a cable DVR or set top box. Sorry, Joe

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Read the post. He has a Yamaha AVR...he is calling it a "home theater"...

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Read MY post. And the two I was replying to. :) 1. Karen (not a "he") has a Yamaha - however she lists BOTH a "receiver" and a "home theater" on different HDMI inputs in her connections list. I was addressing her in the part of my reply where I quoted her post. 2. I was quoting ADBUL (the post BEFORE Karen's) in the part of my post that begins, "Abdul:" 3. Abdul has an LG Blu Ray/Receiver/HTiB with no HDMI inputs and single digital input. Regards, Joe

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    My bad, missed the Abdul. That is why people should start their own thread...

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
  9. KillerKat

KillerKat Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I apologize for my confusing terminalogy & posting within an existing thread. I am not that tech savy & don't use a lot of forums. This thread seemed like a logical place to me to post, since I was having a similar issue. I took Joseph's advise and plugged Dish, bluray & xbox into the Yamaha & the Yamaha out to the TV. I also took Gene's advise to unplug the Digital Audio cable. We can now hear the surround sound while watching tv!!! It is awesome. Thanks again. Kat

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Kat: Glad we could help. That's one of the main reasons the HTF exists, and always has been. Joe

11. pskinner

pskinner Auditioning

I just purchased a Samsung 5.1 Channel Blu-Ray Home Theater System and the speakers work perfectly when I'm playing a DVD through the Blu-Ray system; however, when I am watching TV on my Toshina television via a cable box, they don't function. I have a video cable running from the Video in on the TV to the video out on the system. I also have red and white cables running from my cable box to the system as instructed by the manual. I've tried everything I can think of...please help.

12. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    What are the model numbers of the Sumsung and the Toshiba? The red and white cables only pass a stereo signal. Does your Samsung have an optical input? if so, you need to connect that to the cable box (if the cable box also has an optical output) instead of the red/white cables. If you don't have an optical connection on one of them you might be able to use the Dolby proLogic feature of the Samsung to turn the stereo signal into 5.1 but some of these htib's don't apply Dolby ProLogic to outside sources like cable/satellite boxes. One of the many reasons these htib's aren't very popular on these types of forums.

13. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "don't function"? Do you get ANY sound at all? Are you only getting sound from the left/right speakers?
    Are you remembering to change the source selection on the Samsung system to "Aux." or whatever input you have the cable box connected to when you want to watch TV?

14. JW32450

JW32450 Auditioning

I NEED HELP ALSO WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE A SAMSUNG MODEL #: UN37C5000. SOFTWARE VERSION T-MSX5AUSC-2004.1 MY 5.1 SURROUND SOUND RECEIVER IS MARANTZ NR1403. I GET GREAT SOUND FROM DISH NET SATELITE AND BLUE RAY DVD BUT NO SOUND SOUND FROM LOCAL AIR STATIONS. I HAVE DIRECT HMCI FROM RECEIVER TO TV PLUS OPTIC AND AUDIO CABLES FROM RECEIVER TO TV. STILL NO SURROUND SOUND WHILE WATVHING REGULAR TV???? CAN ANYONE HELP ME IN SET-UP. I SWITCH TO EXTERNAL SPEAKERS ON MY MENU AND GET ZERO SOUND. JACK jackwagoner1950@gmail.com

15. JW32450

JW32450 Auditioning

sorry, HDMI cables from tv to receiver.

16. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    In the AVR set-up menu, have you paired the digital input with an input selection?

17. JW32450

JW32450 Auditioning

I do not see any AVR setup??? What is AVR? Nothing listed in menu or tools as avr.

18. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    NR1403=Audio Video Receiver Have you done any set-up for the inputs?

19. Reduno

Reduno Auditioning

You guys are amazing and so very helpful so I thought I'd chime in with my question. I have a VIZIO XVT3D474SV 47-Inch 3D HDTV. Had it hooked up for a year to just a DVR from the cable company, works fine. Just this week I bought an sound system LG BH9220BW and hooked it up using HDMI. It works well so far when watching a dvd/blu ray etc (even FM) but I'd like to use it when watching movies on tv, ie HBO. What do I need to do to accomplish that? If it helps, I have the dvr hooked via HDMI as well. I also have the LG system hooked thru HDMI port 1 so that when I switch input, it goes to the right place. thx much guys.

20. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    What sound system by LG is this? They've made around 200 of them through the years.