What's new

Can't get my Pioneer 578 hooked up right (1 Viewer)

Mark Riley

Agent
DVD's work fine with the picture and surround sound. I tested it with King of the Hill Season 3, great choice to test my audiophilic ears eh? But anyways, whenever I play an SACD, it does not work. No sound comes out at all from any channel. I'm using Michael McDonald - Motown and Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet which are both hybrid SACD-CD which hopefully doesn't matter or else I have to take the machine back.

I have the yellow wire going into the vcr which is my only choice since my TV has no Composite plugs(It's an oldie). I have the White and Red plugged into my Sony DRE-597 receiver in the SACD section. I also have an Optical plug going from the DVD player to the receiver so I can get 5.1(In my case, 4.1 since I have no center channel). Since the DVD's work fine, I assume my setup is ok but where is the sound from the SACDs?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
with SACD you have to use the 6ch analog connection from the player to the 6ch input of your reciever.

Mark Riley

Agent
I can't just use optical cable for that instead? Do I need everything I have plugged in plus that other analog connection or did I plug in something not needed out of the composite cable and optical cable. The Circuit City guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

gregD

Second Unit

There was your first mistake, listening to the CC kid... :D

Yes, what the others have said... DVD-A and SACD are processed by the player and can only be accessed via the analog connections... your single digital cable will get you CD music (PCM) and DVD-V movie audio (DD, DTS), in which case your receiver does the processing.

Never expect correct information from the kids at a big-box retailer like CC, BB etc.

Enjoy the music.

Mark Riley

Agent
Ok, I have the yellow wire from the Pioneer 578 to my VCR(can't hook it to TV so I use the VCR as an RF Modulator), the red and white to the sacd part of the receiver, and an optical wire going from the 578 to the receiver.

Now I'm told I need the 5.1 channel analog plugs. My Sony STR-DE 597 better have a place where I can stick the 5.1 analog plugs. Are they actually 6 wires and if so, I don't have a center speaker so I just ignore plugging in that wire right?

After I have all that hooked up, I am set right? Is there anything that I have plugged in that I do not need?(superfluous, redundant, whatever)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Mark

hmm, just a heads up here... you might miss some audio if you're listening to sacd/dvd-a without a center speaker - could be mostly vocals as well.

I'm not sure if you set no center on the player setup menu it will redirect sacd/dvd-a audio to the front L/R. The receiver likely will not process the 5.1 inputs and create a phantom center as it would the digital or other analog inputs.

edit: surprisingly my Pioneer 655A does

Mark Riley

Agent
Thanks guys, so I guess I might as well keep all the stuff hooked up as is and then add that 6 channel cable. If I find problems with the Center Speaker thing, I'll have to buy one but I hope I don't because the only place I can put the Pioneer is on top of the TV and I don't want a speaker up there as well.

Mark Riley

Agent
Argh I just found out it's 100 dollars for these cables. That's absurd, the player was $150.

Now I'm reading that any RCA cables will work fine. Is this true? That should end up being cheaper than $100

FeisalK

Screenwriter
you'll need 3 pairs but yea, any RCA will work fine.

a player on top of the tv sounds precarious. if theres breathing space, you can put it under the receiver (on top might fry it after a long time if the receiver runs hot)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yup, 3 sets of stereo RCA cables will work fine. The signal being passed is just plain old analog audio, nothin too fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks