What's new

Can't decide what to watch? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
well, he's not here right now, so i'm guess i'm free for the killing. :D he doesn't drink much anyways. while pearl harbor is my most watched dvd, keep in mind that i just started my dvd collection last december and only have 15 thus far...i'm a poor college student, after all. #16 should be here tomorrow, the sports night complete series box set. who knows, it might beat pearl harbor soon. :) also keep in mind that i don't think i've seen pearl harbor from start to finish since i saw it the second time in theaters...i can only stand to watch 2 hours max of it at a time (usually just the first disc), unless i'm really wide awake and really in the mood to complete the movie.
don't you DARE bring titanic. :) actually, i didn't think it was bad at all, but i've only seen it until it starts to sink...gee, i wonder what happens after that? :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I rewatch The Big Lebowski regularly. As well as Contact, The Matrix, Fifth Element (my most re-watched DVD), Iron Giant, Face/Off, and um bunch of others.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I had meant to buy the big lebowski on DVD for quite awhile and finally did this week, but it was late and I fell asleep 20 minutes into it :frowning:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This sort of thing is the reason I have the following policy on buying DVDs- I only buy ones that, if someone were to come over and wish to view any of them, I would always say yes (unless I had just watched it or something). And, now, I started collecting Criterions. So, this means there are tons of great movies that I have no interest in buying. It also keeps the collection to reasonable level (I think) and avoids spending all that money.

I also make it a point to buy my DVDs slowly but steadily. That is, I always have two or three on the "to watch" rack and, if I have a couple I haven't watched yet, I don't buy more. Between this and the occassional rental, I always have something I look forward to watching but not so many that it's daunting.

I used to have a similar problem with music- 1200 CDs, but what to actually listen to? I solved that my using a CD database program that assigns numerical indexes to all the titles. Then I wrote a Visual C++ program that randomly generates numbers. I listen to the CDs of the corresponding numbers.

Yes, I have this all down to a science and I'm a big ol' dork. But if it ain't broke...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sometimes, you just have to pull off those old unwatched/neglected DVD's and put them in the player. You may just rediscover them.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that worked for Dark City. When I first bought it and put it in the player, I disliked the movie a lot. Two years later, I gave it a second chance. Not a bad movie, once I got over the weirdness of the acting.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehe I liked dark city when I caught it in the theater. Not sure it's rewatch material..

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sometimes, you just have to pull off those old unwatched/neglected DVD's and put them in the player. You may just rediscover them.
Very true. I sometimes find that just randomly grabbing a disc I have not watched in ages is the best bet. If I think about it too long I will end up staring at a wall of dvds for so long that by the time I select something, It's too late to watch a 2 hour movie. :frowning:

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I got one of those Spiderman Cards from BBV for my birthday, and I had this problem in the store! In the end, me and a buddy just watched "The Burbs" before the Simpsons & Malcom came on.

Can anyone who has seen the "The Burbs" lately confirm that when they agree it's a femur bone, that it is the most unecessary zooming in/out/in/out of all time (screaming included)? I haven't seen this movie in about 10 years, and I was falling off the couch laughing at it. I'm now jealous that my buddy owns it, and I do not.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love my copy of The 'Burbs.

Why just last night I was laying on my couch in front of my 50" Toshiba realizing I have over 100 channels of digital cable and there is not one thing that interested me. How is that possible!?!?

WHen I do reach for a DVD from my meager collection, I seem to go in trends.. right now I'm into sci-fi/fantasy so I'll grab LOTR or The Matrix. Just last week I was on an adventure kick and watched Tomb Raider about 3 times (yes, I am one of the 4 people in the world that actually enjoy that movie)

But I feel a comedy kick coming on.. I may have to blow the dust off of The 'Burbs or maybe I'll finally take the wrapper off of my Young Frankenstein.

Actually, this thread has me thinking: Why don't we have some sort of "movie of the week" discussion thread someplace? Perhaps a movie could be picked at random from any genre and posted. Members could go rent/buy the said movie and watch it that week. And then come back to discuss it online. That way at least one of your movie-watching decisions is made for you and you'll also have the piece of mind knowing your online bretheren are be subjected to the same fate and you can come back and praise/trash the movie of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks