What's new

Can't decide between Panny XR70 and Pioneer 1014 (1 Viewer)

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Whichever I buy I'll be taking to college, so space is a priority. Immediately, this makes me think Panny. Plus, I don't use analog inputs, again, Panny. However, my Polk speakers (which I adore, RTi6) are only 89 dB/w efficient, so I'm concerned about power. In college, I will be bi-amping the speakers, so maybe I shouldn't be as concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I write it out on paper (or computer screen), the Panny is looking better and better, but I still can't decide.

If I get some reassurance than the Panny will provide the power I need, that will probably push me over the buying edge.

Also, are there any recievers coming out before August (in this price range) that will make me regret my purchase?

David Judah

Screenwriter
I doubt you'll have any power problems with the Panny. I have an XR25 which is a little weaker in the amp section than the 70, and I'm running 7 speakers(the back surrounds are wired in paralell presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp). It'll push them louder than I ever need.

DJ

JoePerri

Auditioning
One thing to consider is the crossover point. On the Panny it is limited to 100hz at the low end. You might be able to localize the sub that high.

Joe

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've heard some claim they can localize around there, but with a clean signal, I doubt many can. If they're picking up the distortion components up higher, then that's a sub issue. It's possible, I suppose, but unlikely.

With other receivers I've used an 80 Hz crossover, but frankly I haven't noticed a difference with the Panny's higher crossover other than that the notch in response around the crossover point is shifted up higher, which happens to be beneficial in my particular room.

DJ

RyanJE

Second Unit
Whats the high pass filter on your sub though? Any frequencies out to your mains will be limited by that filter.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sub's high pass is likely fixed, and may be the same or higher than that receiver's 100hz.

I've owned a few receivers that had a fixed 100Hz x-over and it wasn't a big issue for me either; it wasn't distracting or really localizable.

You're going to biamp off the Panny or with external amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks