What's new

Can't connect Xbox 360 to PC (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
This morning I tried to get my 360 and PC connected to stream my MP3's. Was able to download the Media Connect software but was prompted to install the .NET Framework. Installed that, ran the Media Connect setup. Everything went fine until the Xbox 360 authorization stage where MC was unable to detect the console.

I've established sharing, reset the firewall to open the ports to the 360, and enabled automatic device authorization on MC. I've rebooted both the PC and the 360. Both individually have internet access through a central hub and the 360 identifies the wired connection in the system tests. The 360 on the Media Connect screen identifies the internet connection and IP but fails the detection test of the PC. On the PC Media Connect doesn't see any allowable devices.

I have gone through the Microsoft Troubleshooting and still no result. One thing I didn't adjust was this according to a link from the troubleshooting...

...as I have no clue what this means nor how to do it. Suggestions?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I think I know my problem, but don't know how to fix it. According to the Microsoft troubleshooting site my PC's IP address needs to be within the following range for Windows Media Center:

10.0.0.0–10.255.255.255
169.254.0.0–169.254.255.255
172.16.0.0–172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0–192.168.255.255

However, my ethernet switch has assigned the IP address of 24.x.x.x to my PC and 24.y.y.y to the 360. Out of the accepted range. According to MS...

"In some cases, you can substitute an Ethernet hub or switch for a router. However, if the DHCP server connected to the hub or switch provides a network address that is outside of the required address ranges, then Windows Media Connect might not work properly."

I've gone to the site for my switch to see if they have a driver I can download. It was installed when our house was built and I don't have any discs for it, but there doesn't seem to be anything online which makes me suspect this model doesn't have that facility.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Got it running - the IPs were the problem as outlined above. For anyone running into challenges you need to make sure your router is limited to those ranges. I switched to a different hub with 192.x.x.x IP and the authorization/recognition between the PC and the 360 went flawlessly. Pretty slick how I can browse the MP3s from my PC upstairs through the 360 in my theater. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had problems initially with finding my 360 too, but the problem was just that the firewall was preventing it. That was fixed easily enough.

Pretty cool listening to my MP3s while playing games. Now only if Apple would play nice with Microsoft....

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I am having a similar problem. I am able to connect my xbox 360 to the net via a switch. However, I was not able to use Windows XP ICS to share the connection. I even downloaded Windows Connect 2.0 to share files between 360 and my PC, but I guess that unless ICS is correctly set on my PC, Connect 2.0 will not work.

For the time being, I can either connnect 360 to the net or the PC to the net, but I can't share the connection which is something I did when I had the original xbox.

Regards,
orestes

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why use ICS at all? Just get a router hook your PC(s) and game system(s) up to the router.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I don't want to buy another piece of hardware. I already have a switch. Should it suffice? It used to work well with my old PC and the original xbox.

Regards,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Never mind.

Regards,
orestes
P.S. Admin, feel free to delete this post!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks