What's new

Can't Buy Me Love??? (1 Viewer)

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Since this DVD is coming out this Tuesday (8/13), has there been any reviews on this DVD??

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Haven't heard anything about it, but I will definitely be picking it up. I love this movie.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
You've got to be kidding me.
:angry: That sucks bigtime!!! I definitely will not be buy it then!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, if it isn't OAR, then I guess I will be saving my money for the following Tuesday. Too bad :frowning:

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
To quote myself from another thread...
Not to spew heresy, but Can't Buy Me Love looks pretty darn good on my 16x9 set, zoomed in with the "Theater 1" mode to crop the top and bottom. And it doesn't have the awful, VHS quality video of a many other Disney releases of late (Natty Gann, Blackbeard's Ghost). I found the video quality to be "as good as I can expect". Maybe I'll post some screen shots if I have the time. The sound was everything I remember.

I never had the Laserdisc, so I can't do a comparison, but I think this is an OK release that will bring back a lot of memories for a lot of people.

nousername

Supporting Actor
But if it's open-matte, aren't you getting all the information that was seen theatrically? All you have to do is matte out the parts that weren't shown in the theater: the top and bottom. (Or you could just zoom in with your TV and/or DVD player if it has this feature).

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-OAR, but at least with open-matte, you're not missing any information as you would with pan-and-scan. With pan-and-scan, the information which is cut off is cut off permanently. With open-matte, you just have to do a little work to achieve OAR.

I agree, of course, that Disney should have just given us the OAR like they should have. There's no reason why we should make our own mattes just to achieve OAR...

MikeM

Screenwriter
Then you lose the enhanced resolution of a 16x9 widescreen version.
I found the video quality to be "as good as I can expect"
I'm glad it looks nice, but I think we need to expect more from a studio than this. :thumbsdown:
No sale for me...and I really like this cheesy 80's flick.

MattHR

Screenwriter
It's hard to tell if CAN'T BUY ME LOVE is a "true" open-matte (meaning it was photographed at 1.33:1). Most of the time, the framing seems as if it was intended for 1.85:1 matting. But there are some scenes where the matting would intrude on the composition, causing slight cramping.

I've spent many years with VHS, laserdiscs and now DVD. And I've spent/wasted a lot of time comparing various versions/formats of different movies. It's been my observation that Disney seems to use a 1.66:1 hard-matte process when filming most of their live-action, non-CGI-oriented movies. So when these movies are released in "full-frame", we tend to get more top/bottom area, but lose a bit off the sides. In this case, a simple zoom, or matting, with one's player or TV doesn't solve the problem: it makes it worse, since we're already losing side info. And since some movies were matted with differing top or bottom lines, and not just fixed mattes, it's not always possible to know that a home "matte job" is accurate to the intended theatrical presentation.

If the studios refuse to release certain titles in OAR, I guess the best compromise here would be to release it in its 1.66:1 ratio, as photographed. The slight black bands shouldn't piss off J6P too much, and the OAR people (us) would at least get the full width, and some could matte with their equipment.

However, I still feel that OAR is the only way to go. I've grown tired of dealing with this issue after over 20 years and three video formats. Is it really that much to ask to have CAN'T BUY ME LOVE in its OAR after all these years?

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
Boo Disney!
I bought this one for my wife along with Clash of the Titans and Time After Time (all widescreen 16X9), and at the time it didn't have aspect ratio information at DVDEmpire. I assumed (wrongly) that everything is going to be widescreen nowadays. I'm feel cheated having bought this title sight unseen. Not happy :frowning:

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
I really love this movie but since it is not in the original aspect ratio 1.85:1 :thumbsdown: no sale over here

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe my FAVORITE movie from the 80's as I was a high school outcast who really related to the main character here, but without the OAR, I'll have to settle for some other title in the coming weeks.

As with most of you, I thought I'd chime in with...
NO OAR = NO SALE!
And, again, like most of you, this was by FAR my favorite 80's movie. It's a shame.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Mentions of this movie have brought my high school crush on Amanda Peterson back to life, but I will not be buying this DVD. :angry: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks