What's new

Canon EOS-M5 leaks (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It will be an APS-C sensor. Personally, that doesn't matter to me that much for how I use a mirrorless, and the new generation of Canon crop sensors are very good. Size, price, auto focus performance, and a good electronic viewfinder are the things that matter to me.

I have yet to see a photo of the rear of the camera. I am interested to see how many buttons are available for controlling the camera. Ergonomics are also important.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting, but my resolve not to maintain two lens systems remains intact. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Interesting, but my resolve not to maintain two lens systems remains intact. :D
Same here, which is why I have stayed away from the Sony mirrorless bodies. Of course, I did break that resolve with the two Canon EF-M lenses for my EOS M. At least I can interchange my external flash units between the M and my Canon dSLR bodies.

I still have not bought the adapter for the M to use standard Canon EF mount lenses. A friend has the adapter, so I tried it with a couple of my lenses, including my 100-400L and 16-35L. While the image quality was decent, it was awkward using a big lens on such a small body. Seems to defeat the purpose of using a small mirrorless body - - I may as well use my dSLR if I am going to use a big lens.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I rented the M5 for a weekend trip to SFO. I'm trying to decide between bringing the 24mm 2.8 STM pancake or the 28mm 1.8 USM.

What would you do?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Depends on what you are planning to shoot, and whether the smaller pancake lens offers enough compactness to be of benefit on the M5 body like the EF-M 22mm pancake does on the original EOS M.

I will be interested to read your impressions on the camera when you return, Cameron. I love the compactness of my original M, but there are a couple of things that really limit how I can use the camera -- specifically the auto focus performance and no viewfinder. The M5 definitely corrects the latter issue, and from what I've read its AF performance is supposed to be pretty good. I would be interested to know how you feel the AF compares to your Canon dSLR bodies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks gents!

I decided to take the 24mm pancake since I don't believe I'll be needing the extra stops (not a lot of indoor, low light shooting that I'm anticipating) and SFO is forecast to have a lot of sun this weekend.

I tried the 28mm on it and it's a little heavy / long for me in conjunction with the nicely built but heavy M to EF adapter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From a few quick shots, the autofocus seems nicely responsive and doesn't seem too different from my DSLR bodies, but then I'm not shooting moving subjects for the most part.

The one thing I had to turn off immediately was the continuous autofocus setting, primarily as a battery saving measure. I'm not sure of the still image application of having the lens constantly focusing like a camcorder...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you could try some slow moving objects, I would appreciate it, Cameron. I tried using my original EOS M to get some shots of the horse and buggies trotting by us on Mackinac Island a couple of years ago, and between being forced to use the LCD screen to compose/track and the poor AF performance I found it impossible to get a decent shot. So, I'm not expecting to be able to shoot something difficult such as ice hockey, but just capture some average moving items.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm thinking about getting the M6 any thoughts?
Didn't the M6 lose the viewfinder, yet is about the same size as the M5? That would be a deal breaker for me. I have a hard time seeing the rear LCD screen of my original M in sunlight, plus I don't like composing photos via the rear screen. If I'm giving up that viewfinder, the camera needs to be significantly smaller. I can fit the original M with the 22mm pancake lens in the pocket of cargo pants / shorts.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Didn't the M6 lose the viewfinder, yet is about the same size as the M5? That would be a deal breaker for me. I have a hard time seeing the rear LCD screen of my original M in sunlight, plus I don't like composing photos via the rear screen. If I'm giving up that viewfinder, the camera needs to be significantly smaller. I can fit the original M with the 22mm pancake lens in the pocket of cargo pants / shorts.

It has an add-on view finder that was almost a deal breaker. The reason I'm going this way is that I can get a full function adapter to run my other Canon (and hopefully Sigma) lens. My original plan was to go with the Fujifilm X-T20 but the ability to still use my current canon lens has my interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Electr...d=1495205941&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+viewfinder

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It has an add-on view finder that was almost a deal breaker. The reason I'm going this way is that I can get a full function adapter to run my other Canon (and hopefully Sigma) lens. My original plan was to go with the Fujifilm X-T20 but the ability to still use my current canon lens has my interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Electr...d=1495205941&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+viewfinder

That adapter will work with all the EOS M models, so you could get the M5 with the built-in viewfinder for a little more money than the M6 -- they are probably very close in price if you also buy the add-on viewfinder for the M6.

I tried the adapter with my original M (a friend owns an M and the adapter). While it works okay, I found trying to use a larger lens designed for a full frame dSLR to be cumbersome to hold on such a small body. Besides, attaching a large lens to an M seems to be defeating one of the main selling points of a mirrorless camera -- its compact size. The only small lens I own that doesn't overwhelm an EOS M in size with this adapter is the 40mm f/2.8 pancake. So, I have just been using the two EF-M lenses I own -- the 22mm f/2 pancake and 18-55mm IS.

I do use my smaller Canon 270EX Speedlite flash with the M, though. That small external flash is also a great travel flash for my full frame 5D3, since it takes up so little space in my bag compared to my much larger Speedlite 430EXII.

I have not actually held either the M5 or M6 to see how the size or ergonomics compare. I would definitely do that before choosing between the two bodies.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Thanks for your feedback. The M5 didn't get great reviews vs. the M6 which is really the new M3. I do agree putting my big lens on will be a little crazy but I only use it for wildlife shooting and it has a tripod mount on the lens so it shouldn't be too bad. Overall I'm just looking for a more compact form factor (I don't need it to fit in a pocket though. I'm selling my 5D Mark II because I just stopped using it too big. This seems lie perfect to throw in my work backpack and have it with me at all times. I was leaning toward the Fujifilm but I decided I really didn't need 4K shooting which was about the only difference. Canon has a deal on their website to get the M6/15-45mm/55-200mm for $1,129 which should cover a majority of my shooting needs. I then have the option to connect my big boy (Sigma 120-400mm) shooting track events or wildlife. So I think I'll give it a go and see how it does.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's a pretty nice M6 kit. You may want to add the EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake lens at some point. It's a terrific lens, and makes for a very compact walk around solution.

I did try my Canon 100-400mm MKII lens on the M1 with the adapter, just for fun. It sure looked strange with that small body attached. I figure if I'm going to haul around a big lens, it's not that much more to carry around a bigger, fully functional dSLR, too. I use the EOS M when I want to walk around without carrying anything big.

I did use the M1 as a 2nd body when hiking around in Yellowstone a couple of years ago, which came in handy. I would carry my 7D2 + 100-400L if we were looking for wildlife and use the M1 + 18-55mm for landscape shots. Alternately, sometimes I carried my 5D3 +16-35L for wide angle shots and the M1 + 18-55mm for a more normal perspective without needing to switch lenses -- something I do not like doing in the geothermal areas with all the steam and gases. I bought a SpiderHolster Black Widow that attaches to a normal belt and allows me to easily carry around the EOS M + 18-55mm. The M will not fit in my pocket with that lens attached. The holster works well when we are bicycling around Mackinac Island, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks