Canon 70-200 F4 L IS or non IS?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Eric Samonte, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I have decided I needed a longer reach and with much research, have decided on the F4L non IS. Then my wife goes, "Why get that when u can get the IS version?" Mind u, she doesn't even know what IS is but she says that from what I was telling her, the extra money seems worth it.
    So, my question is... it is really worth double the money? Some would say go for the 2.8 but I think the weight will turn me off, eventually me not using it as much. Besides, I can up my ISO if ever I need to use it indoors or in low light.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I rented the is version and loved it, if you can afford it and will use it I say go for it...

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have the IS version of the Canon 70-200 F/4 because at that focal length, it's best to have something counteracting camera shake, and get more light at lower shutter speeds when possible.

5. Eric Samonte

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess if I could swing it, I'd better get the one with IS. Yipee! Now the hunt begins!

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

The IS version also has updated elements, so the lens is sharper than the non-IS version. This was probably Canon's best zoom lens until the recently revised 70-200mm f/2.8 IS MKII.

I own the 70-200 f/4 IS, and it is a terrific lens. It has great image quality and lightening fast auto focusing. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it. This lens is small and light enough to take when traveling, too. It will take a 1.4x teleconverter with very little degradation in image quality or auto focus speed or accuracy, if you need extra reach, too.

7. Eric Samonte

Got the thing and frankly I thought it'd be bigger and heavier. I guess its a welcomed surprise for me!

Haven't really tested it out but I noticed that the IS "whir" on every shot and it is quite noticeable? Is this the norm?

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes it is. Canon IS is a lot louder than Nikon VR. You may even hear a 'knocking' effect. This is normal.

9. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Yes, the IS mechanism does make a noise on most Canon lenses. The loudness will vary, depending on which lens model you have.

The smaller size and weight, compared to the f/2.8 version, is one of the reasons I love this lens (along with the great optics and super-quick auto focusing, of course). It's great for a general purpose telephoto when traveling. I also own the larger, heavier 100-400L, but I only take that lens when I know I'll need the extra reach.

10. Eric Samonte

Thanks for the info. Guess I just have to get used to it.

Just an FYI, I got a new one from OneCall, 12 months to pay. For a little over $100 a month, I get to own and enjoy a "white" Canon lens! And yes, my wife approved of it...

11. javig999

javig999 Auditioning

Congrats on the new glass! I am think this will be my final lens to round out my lineup. How is the f4 working out for you? Do you find yourself cranking up the ISO for indoor shots?

12. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

This really isn't an indoor lens. However, if your camera body has decent high ISO performance, then you can get decent results.

The photos below were taken with my 7D and 70-200 f/4 IS at f/4 and ISO 6400.

13. Eric Samonte

So far so good. As Scott says, u can get good results with the ISO high up there. Been trying to use it with a flash but it seems that there is a definite learning curve to go that route as I've been getting so so results.

Hate to say this but the white color seem to attract people to "pose" for shots. I like taking candid shots more than posed ones. They also think I know what I'm doing.......good for me I guess...

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, they do make some neoprene covers for those long lenses to camouflage the cream white-ness of their exteriors...

http://www.lenscoat.com/

15. javig999

javig999 Auditioning

Those shots look great...trying to sell a sub to fund this lens!