What's new

Canon 20D and G6 on the way! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Official announcements will be friday, here is a sneak peek at the G20 which canon accidentally leaked yesterday:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/0546544776586300/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ic.php?t=41929

Nikons gonna have to pull a rabbit out of their hat at Photokina to convince me not to go with this rig. After scrimping and saving for a DSLR for a few months, I hit a nice raffle that put me over the top a week or so ago, now its just been waiting out the new announcements to see if it was D70, something the next step up from D70, or the rumored 20D from Canon. So far for me at least, the 20D seems to have the edge.

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Description
A 8.2 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor delivers superbly detailed images. 9-point high-speed AF allows precise focusing over a wide area. A powerful DIGIC II(DIGital Imaging Core) processor optimises colour rendition. High speed processing means a continuous burst of 5 shots at 25 frames per second is possible. It also extends the camera's battery life. The EOS 20D can write RAW and JPEG files simultaneously, while there's a choice of 6 JPEG resolution settings.

For enhanced exposure stability, the EOS 20D has a new evaluative metering system for both daylight and flash. As well as sRGB, the EOS 20D features Adobe RGB. This improves colour rendition by capturing colours across an extremely wide spectrum. An ISO speed range from 100 - 1600 (3200 Extended HI accessible via the ISO expansion menu) offers extensive shooting flexibility whatever the lighting conditions.

9 white balance modes are available - Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Flourescent, Flash, Custom and Colour Temperature. In Colour Temperature mode, users manually select the warmth they require from the Kelvin scale (2800K to 10000K in 100K increments). With White Balance Bracketing, the EOS 10D automatically captures three bracketed shots (normal, reddish and bluish) with one release of the shutter.

An Intelligent Orientation Sensor detects whether the camera is being held horizontally or vertically when shooting. This gives mor e accurate exposures. It also means easy viewing and editing, since shots appear the right way up on the LCD, in ZoomBrowser on the computer screen or on TV.

The EOS 20D's LCD offers 5 levels of brightness. It can be brightened so it's easier to see or dimmed so it's less intrusive and saves power. The menu display offers the choice of 12 different languages.

With a robust magnesium alloy body, the EOS 10D has outstanding durability and a distinctive presence. It features an ergonomic hand-grip which makes extended shooting very comfortable.

The EOS 20D is the fourth digital EOS camera to feature Direct Print. High resolution prints can be obtained by connecting straight to a Canon Bubble Jet or Card Photo Printer. The EOS 20D has FAT 16/32 data storage, allowing compatibility with high capacity CF cards over 2GB. The EOS 20D is compatible with the extensive EOS range of accessories.
Features
8.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor
DIGIC II processor
Wide area 9-point AF
5 fps shooting
35 zone evaluative metering
Simultaneous RAW and JPEG processing
Durable EOS magnesium body
Wide ISO speed range up to ISO H3200
Expanded image display zoom options

http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/stor...roduct=8979348

WOW. Its even better than I thought and more than I will ever need. The ONLY thing that I can ding it on from the description is not having a bigger viewfinder.

Sam

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Looks nice, but it's priced quite a bit higher than the D70 though based on the rumored MSRP ($1700). There are lots of speculation over in the dpreview forum about the likely street price, but I would expect street price to stay very close to MSRP for a long while since that's the general trend for this class of cameras (vs compact digicams). Also, it's not known what lens the kit includes, whether just the EF-S 18-55 (that the 300D has) or the EF-S 17-85 IS shown in the pictures.

BTW, nice to see that Canon will come out w/ an EF-S 10-22 for serious wideangle lens -- well, at least that seems to be part of the rumor. And oh, if those two EF-S lenses are for real along w/ the 20D's specs, then it sounds like Canon does intend to stick w/ the 1.6x crop factor for their lower end DSLRs for the long haul.

Finally, what did you mean by "not having a bigger viewfinder"?? I didn't see any details suggesting this. I'd think it'll be similar to the 10D in this regard, which is a bit larger than the D70's. OR were you talking about the LCD display? If so, you might be in for a surprise since you can't use the LCD as a viewfinder like w/ compact digicams -- not unless Canon is unveiling something totally new for this model. It would require a huge design change to do that in a DSLR.

_Man_

PS: Personally, what would be really nice is if the overall AF system comes closer to those on the 1D Mk2 and Nikon D2H. I'd much rather have that than the MP and FPS bumps.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Kinda makes you go "hmmm" with a typo like that (10D).

I have seen these specs elsewhere on the net, though, so they are likely reasonably accurate.

With the type of shooting I do, I can see no reason to upgrade from my 10D to the 20D. The few extra pixels are not a big issue for me, and high-speed shooting is of little value shooting landscapes... or the other types of shooting I do.

Basically, the 20D a bit of a speed and megapixel boost of the 10D. Now, if they went to a 1.3 crop factor, I might have been interested.

If I didn't already own a 10D, I might still consider one of those over the new 20D - what with the price drops you'll likely see.

-Scott

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree that typo seems weird.

Well, my first film SLR was a Nikon F3HP that I bought at government auction, that thing was a TANK (the army one had an even tougher body than most if I remember right, it was like 15 years ago now), but the 'HP' eyepoint/viewfinder ruled. I dont have specs to compare em head to head but I dont think anything comes close to it in this price range on a digital body, I tried a N90s film camera once and it was pretty spacious...

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

I think you'd have to go to an SLR with a full-frame sensor to get a viewfinder as big and bright as on a film slr. Like the Canon EOS 1Ds. If you have about $8000 to spend. Obviously, like you said, a different price range.

-Scott

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh, agreed totally. A guy can wish tho cant he? Theres no real reason a prosumer camera cant have that feature other than the vendors artificially keeping it exclusive to the $4000 boxes. If the $400 N90s can have a nice big screen the $1500 prosumer digital SLR can too.

Anyway, its official now and here are the previews:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ic.php?t=42067
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...0d-part1.shtml
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/can...0d/default.asp
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6458-7153

Seems to be a 23 frame JPEG buffer not 25, and only 6 frames Raw, down from 9 in the 10d, seems to be the ONLY downside from 10D, but since this isnt being marketed as a sports camera as much as it is prosumer/wedding camera, seems to not be a big loss.

Saw a few complaints about the viewfinder being darker, could be pre-production only or maybe it will be in the final version, either way not a deal breaker for me.

Finally, I thought the EF-s lenses were supposed to be LOW COST?!??!? The new 17-85IS surely is no bargain.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ic.php?t=42105

Sam

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hmmm...nice, but not nice enough to upgrade right now. I'm still very happy with my newly purchased 10D and think I'll sit things out until the 20D Mark II or whatever. Maybe by then we'll get the 1.3 crop factor. Although I'm afraid that may not be too likely given the growing EF-S line...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, this is a little bit surprising to me. I was thinking it'd be more like the 28-135 IS at ~$400 (and possibly less). Also, the max aperture is smaller than other comparable lenses at this price range. All that plus many Canon shooter's desire/wish for a future 1.3x crop or full frame body would likely continue to keep the 28-135 IS popular. I'd think this new EFS 17-85 IS will mostly be of interest to 300D users and relatively few 20D buyers. The other new lens (EFS 10-22) would probably be more interesting although many will probably still stick w/ the Sigma 12-24, especially if the price is high.

BTW, it does look like they're improving the AF system significantly although it's unclear how much real improvement to expect. From the sound of it, I like the new AF sensors arrangement -- allows for following rule of 1/3's and such while shooting action, etc. This is one area where I wish my D70 is better.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks